The great bark debate

When I am done with pork butts and briskets they are black on the outside. The meat is super tender and the bark tastes fantastic. After cooking for a few years that is what looks good to me!

Bark is good...bark is over-rated...low and slow is the only way...high heat is best...water in the pan regulates temp...water in the pan is a mess to clean up...foil at 160º...foil is a crutch...

Cook it the way you like...run your cooker how you like...take every opinion as a tip and if it sounds good to you, try it...if it doesn't work, move on! :D

Trust your taste buds...they're your best friend! That's how I roll...I've done L&S, HH, H2O and no H2O, foil and no foil, and I've found what works for me and SWMBO...but I'm not going to tell you what that is because it may not work for you. And it's just TOO MUCH FUN trying different things!

Enjoy the journey!

Bark is good...bark is over-rated...low and slow is the only way...high heat is best...water in the pan regulates temp...water in the pan is a mess to clean up...foil at 160º...foil is a crutch...

Cook it the way you like...run your cooker how you like...take every opinion as a tip and if it sounds good to you, try it...if it doesn't work, move on! :D

Trust your taste buds...they're your best friend! That's how I roll...I've done L&S, HH, H2O and no H2O, foil and no foil, and I've found what works for me and SWMBO...but I'm not going to tell you what that is because it may not work for you. And it's just TOO MUCH FUN trying different things!

Enjoy the journey!
I'm calling BS on your post Mike, since it makes too much sense! :p

My advice to the OP:

Chuck,
This FB group is beneath you. If thats what 'some' members do to their own, my vote would be to just drop the whole lot of'em!

The reason most of us are members of anything BBQ web related is to learn, to share and to enjoy the brotherhood/sisterhood. Not ONCE--EVER, do I recall anyone poking fun at any ones food here on the VWB. Associate your self with high road takers and dump that bunch on FB.

Smoke on my friend. Oh and BTW, I love me some crunchy black bark. When pulled and mixed or even chopped, mixed with the tender bits, that is livin' right!

I am one of those that prefers a nice, deep mahogany over a meteor and that's the way I cook. Now if I am looking at a picture of someone else's Q, or better yet, eating some of it, it can be a meteor, if that is what the cook intended it to be (I would hope "burned" was not their intention). And I was raised to be polite about it and tell them it looks great. Even if it is wrong in my book.

Back