Thanksgiving in May

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Things didn’t go as planned for Smoke Day. We were going to do a 13Lb. turkey on the E320s rotisserie but the bird was too big and even with the grates removed it hit the FBs.

So too plan B the Camp Chef pellet grill. Fired it up at 275 and put the bird on at 2pm.
Seasoning was salt & pepper with butter as a baste, basted every hour. Cooks apple pellets provide the smoke. Cooked at 275 for three hours then bumped it up to 325 for the final hour.
It was really windy but the Camp Chef held very steady for the whole cook.

Barb and I both agreed that this was by far the best bird we’ve cooked. It was moist and very tender with just a lite hint of apple smoke. Perfect!
Did a yam on the E320 (Had to have a Weber involved somehow) and made some dressing along with some green beans with bacon. Homemade cranberry sauce with mandarin oranges.
Barb made some gravy using the drippings.
It was a busy day and a lot of work but a lot of fun also and we do have a lot to be thankful for.

100_5864.JPG

100_5868.JPG

100_5869.JPG

100_5876.JPG

Hey Dad I smell something good.
100_5884.JPG

100_5887.JPG
Stay safe.

What Rich this is Weber weekend what are you thinking. Just kidding bro. Sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
Bird looks REALLY guud!
Stay healthy our friends to the south.

Well, since there's no baseball in late November and there's no baseball now, Thanksgiving in May is a perfect fit! Great color on the turkey!

What Rich this is Weber weekend what are you thinking. Just kidding bro. Sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
Bird looks REALLY guud!
Stay healthy our friends to the south.

Yeah Russ I expected some grief for using a non Weber. We are in stage 2 fire restrictions now and that means no charcoal so I couldn't use the performer. But I did use the Weber E320 gasser to cook the yam.

I don't much care what you cooked it on, Rich, that's a fine looking bird!!! I think I'm keeping my streak of not cooking for Smoke Day alive unfortunately...... :(

r

Barb & Rich, i gotta tell ya, your bird is one of the BEST I've ever seen!!
1590409680397.png
...and with the exception of the berries, Thanksgiving Dinner in May looks Spectacular!

Beautiful bird and young lady!
Who's the old fart? :)

The young Lady is the head of the War Department and Chief Finance Minister.
The old fart takes his orders from the young Lady and also is in charge of feeding the dogs, taking out the trash, almost all outside cooking and making breakfast and dinners for the young Lady along with other various duties as directed by the young Lady.
Life is good!

Last edited:
Had a good laugh at the above post Rich.

Beautiful color on that May Thanksgiving bird.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments,
With Barb working at Safeway and me worrying about her safety this was a few hours of us enjoying our time together to participate in the Smoke day 16.
Thanks again Chris for having the best forum on the net and the best forum members.

Stay Safe!

Back