Strangest breakfast ever?

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
IMG_1604.jpeg

Maybe for some but I love having egg drop soup for breakfast. After all it has eggs right? The stock I used came from the remains of a spatchcocked chicken I cooked on the 14” WSM this week. Added a nice char flavor to the soup.

Here’s the recipe:

The recipe is my moms. It makes one large bowl or two small bowls perfect for one hungry person or served as a side for two.

Ingredients

2 cups chicken stock (I use homemade)
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/16 teaspoon white pepper
1/4teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 1/3 cup water)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 scallion (chopped)
1/8 teaspoon MSG (optional)

Add everything to a pot except the corn starch, water, eggs and scallion. Set to simmer.

Mix water and corn starch. Make sure starch is combined completely. Slowly sir mixture into soup base.

Lightly beat eggs in a bowl.

Swirl stock with a spoon and slowly pour eggs over fork or chopsticks into soup. Simmer for 1 min. Or until eggs are set.

Ladle into bowl(s) and garnish with chopped scallions. Serve with soy sauce or shoyu.

Makes one large bowl or two small bowls.

do do do do, that is my coincidence tune.

LAST night, for the first time in a VERY LONG time, we ordered take out from our local Chinese restaurant. One of the things I ordered was EGG DROP SOUP!!!!!!!

ONE of the things that I have been having trouble with lately are my taste buds. (at least I think it is me lol) I didn't think the soup was as good as it used to be, maybe I should have DH (he does all the cooking now) make this recipe.

THANK YOU CASE!!!!!!

Forgot to add. BEAUTIFUL PICTURE!!!!!!

Last edited:
Barb and I love Chinese food but had to stop ordering due to my salt restrictions. The one you posted seems like it will work for me, will be trying it real soon, but not for breakfast. :rolleyes:
Thanks for posting it.

A little Maggi seasoning is my kick for this recipe. And fully agree, makes a great breakfast or lunch. And firm tofu cubes in it too.

Thanks for the detailed recipe.

My brother retired as a senior food engineer, and spent a little time bringing up new food factories internationally. A Japanese breakfast was frequently a bowl of rice, straight from the steamer, with a fresh egg cracked in it. He also indicated that NEMA-4 electrical enclosures in the morning would frequently have a bunch of creepy crawly critters from the Japanese canal immediately adjacent. If you walked by after lunch, those same enclosures would be squeaky clean.

Different cultures, different food & habits.

I'm always fascinated with the Paprika app. Here's a screenshot of its import capability and I did nothing more than a few mouse clicks, no keyboard input (yet):

1687007428946.png

Noteworthy:
  • It did not import Case's commentary; while we value his excellent write-up it is not relevant to the recipe
  • It imported only the process into the Directions table (note that Paprika also did not include "Makes one large bowl or two small bowls" into the directions but added it to the Servings field
The only thing for me to do is change the title from "Strangest Breakfast Ever" to "Egg Drop Soup" and swap the vwbb icon for Case's pic (sorry Chris).

To me, that's pretty amazing.

I'm always fascinated with the Paprika app. Here's a screenshot of its import capability and I did nothing more than a few mouse clicks, no keyboard input (yet):

View attachment 72791

Noteworthy:
  • It did not import Case's commentary; while we value his excellent write-up it is not relevant to the recipe
  • It imported only the process into the Directions table (note that Paprika also did not include "Makes one large bowl or two small bowls" into the directions but added it to the Servings field
The only thing for me to do is change the title from "Strangest Breakfast Ever" to "Egg Drop Soup" and swap the vwbb icon for Case's pic (sorry Chris).

To me, that's pretty amazing.
I have been using Paprika since it’s inception. I’ve mentioned it here before. One of my favorite features is the scale recipe feature. Quite often most recipes are designed for too many servings. Being able to scale without having to do the math is really handy.

Barb and I love Chinese food but had to stop ordering due to my salt restrictions. The one you posted seems like it will work for me, will be trying it real soon, but not for breakfast. :rolleyes:
Thanks for posting it.
Bet eat to adjust this to use no salt or very minimal.

I have been using Paprika since it’s inception. I’ve mentioned it here before. One of my favorite features is the scale recipe feature. Quite often most recipes are designed for too many servings. Being able to scale without having to do the math is really handy.
Aw, come on! Where's the fun in that? :)

True story: when we bought our house, our neighbors had kids in high school and junior high. The younger one found out that that I make cheesecake, something that she's quite fond of (Frugal Gourmet's cheesecake, BTW.) Her mother asked me if I'd show her how the next time I made one. Sure, says I. Which was a few months down the road, but a big batch, 1.5x. Come on over, kid, we're gonna make cheesecake. She wasn't happy when I had here doing all of the scaling math. "I wanted to learn how to make cheesecake, not do math!" BTW, she's turned out pretty well, she's an elementary teacher now.

Aw, come on! Where's the fun in that? :)

True story: when we bought our house, our neighbors had kids in high school and junior high. The younger one found out that that I make cheesecake, something that she's quite fond of (Frugal Gourmet's cheesecake, BTW.) Her mother asked me if I'd show her how the next time I made one. Sure, says I. Which was a few months down the road, but a big batch, 1.5x. Come on over, kid, we're gonna make cheesecake. She wasn't happy when I had here doing all of the scaling math. "I wanted to learn how to make cheesecake, not do math!" BTW, she's turned out pretty well, she's an elementary teacher now.
I do math all day long for work. So when Its time to cook I just want to cook :)

After being raised in San Francisco, I really miss good Chinese. We lived in the Richmond district for a number of years before leaving the city and had at least 20 good Chinese restaurants within a few blocks. The variety of styles was also a big plus. We also had a favorite Mandarin/Cantonese place in Chinatown. There was a pretty good place here in Fallon but the couple who owned it retired several years ago. Nothing worth going out for since. The few places we've tried in Reno left a lot to be desired. I have a few good recipes that Mom got from a Taiwanese friend of the family. My favorites are a basic fried rice and sweet & sour pork. Other than that. Chinese food is a thing of the past :(

Back