Steak?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I put the question mark in the title because I'm not sure that a 4lb hunk of meat can really qualify as a steak. Had a few great friends over last night, so I wanted to do something special. I had our friendly neighborhood butcher cut a beautiful 3" thick porterhouse for me. I decided on a reverse sear for this cook given the size of this cut. I set up the WSM22 to run at 240-250 with no water pan in place, and put the "steak" on the top grate standing on the bone. Took things to 118 degrees on the filet side, then moved to my 26'er with a ripping hot cast iron grate to sear things off for about 90 seconds per side. The result was outstanding. Butter tender filet, beefy strip, and a great crust from the sear (only seasoning was salt and pepper.) Four of us made short work of this fabulous piece of beef. Here are a few pics of the proceedings:

Out of the fridge to come up to room temp, yikes, this is BIG!!:

35712082182_1ee79053c3_k.jpg

35881222465_1537e11367_h.jpg

....and on the flame after searing the first side:

35086882173_a9a5ff9e77_k.jpg

Resting before slicing:

35855437936_ca010b4577_k.jpg

On the plate for service with each side sliced, then reassembled with the bone:

35056551994_ce3dd869b6_k.jpg

All that was left behind:

35086882083_8452ab8303_k.jpg

Thanks for looking, and grill on!

Rich

Gorgeous Rich! Wonderfully presented. Really like how you sliced and reassembled. I did steaks too but nothing a nice as that monster. I just know your guests left with smiles on their faces.

Gotta love thick cut steaks, the thicker the better as far as I am concerned, 3" is a monster cut, never done one that thick........Yet:D

That looks like an EXCELLENT stab at resurrecting the legendary "Delmonico" steak! YUM-O!

Tried similar technique and got similar results a year or so ago with some MONSTER THICK Strips that I got from our local Italian Grocer - they were beautifully marbled and on sale for "crazy cheap", the old-timer behind the counter (one of the semi-retired owners) gave me a wink when I spotted 'em.

If one finds himself / herself in possession of a serious hunk-o excellent beef like those - I think that Revers Sear is definitely one of the best ways to avoid ruining it.
(I suppose that starting them out bagged in an immersion cooker or sous-vide could also work, but since I do not have one...)

Mercy! Rich, you done good!;)

If you like olive oil and basil, the next time you get a steak like that (and I'm pretty sure there'll be a next time) consider putting them on the plate before it receives the steak from the grill. The heat will really bring out their flavors!

Mercy! Rich, you done good!;)

If you like olive oil and basil, the next time you get a steak like that (and I'm pretty sure there'll be a next time) consider putting them on the plate before it receives the steak from the grill. The heat will really bring out their flavors!

Interesting, Brad, will file that tidbit away..... thanks!

Back