Shopping and Social Distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Walmart yesterday to pick up my prescription. Nobody paying any attention to staying 6 ft. away or any other safety items like masks, I would say may be 20% of the people had masks on.
I have a feeling this is going to get a lot worse before it's over.
Even Barb said the people are no longer paying attention to the rules the store has set up for their well being and getting quite snarky when reminded to keep their distance.

I normally avoid the grocery store on the weekends if possible, and that's especially true the last few months. I had to go this morning to grab a couple things. Couldn't get over the number of people there in groups. Parents with children who are more than old enough to stay home alone, couples shopping together. Use your head, people.

Last edited:
Restaurants are finally open around here for dining in. Meat, mainly beef, is a hit or miss depending on the time of day you do your shopping at the grocery stores. As for social distancing, I do it out of respect for others, but my fear of this bug is waning for the moment. I have yet to wear a mask, and hopefully they won't be required around here. I do like the way stores are disinfecting carts and checkout areas. That's a big plus.

Note from Moderator: Trimmed content.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still only go out to pick up my meds and to shop once a week at the most. I don't eat out very often because I'm on a salt restricted diet and I'm so used to not having much salt in my foods I can't stand the over salted foods restaurants serve.
I guess that's why I have so many grills.

I went shopping earlier today and noticed that beef prices have definitely jumped while pork, chicken and turkey seem relatively unchanged. 80/20 ground beef $6.89, ribs $9.99, chuck steak $9.99, ribeyes $16.99...in some cities these prices may seem relatively normal but around here they're definitely high.

Just went to Costco today. No real jump in prices to speak of, fairly well stocked (though did not need any meat so not going to hoard), did manage to score a 10lb bag of organic AP flour sadly limit 1. Organic AP has been scarcer than hens teeth so wife gonna go and get one more. As since I can only consume goods made with the organic flour (pasta, bread, pizza dough, etc) I really don't feel badly getting a second bag.

Folks, I've trimmed and deleted some posts in this thread. Please keep the discussion focused on your shopping experiences. Thank you.

Another post deleted. I'm asking nicely, please don't test my patience. Refrain from discussing anything in this thread other than your shopping experiences.

Northern Virginia joined the rest of the state on Friday in entering 'Phase 1' of reopening. So far, I'd say it's 50/50 regarding people who want to take advantage of things they haven't been able to do for a few months. Most people I know aren't ready to change behavior much just yet. We are required to wear masks now in any public building. I ran into Wegman's around 1pm yesterday - probably their busiest time of the week under normal circumstances. It was really quiet. Seems a lot of people have changed their shopping habits/schedule.

Found out that my sausage guy (Youze Guys) has been open limited hours, just Friday 9:00-5:00and Saturday 9:00 until he’s out. Said he’s paying a lot more for meat and chicken than he ever expected! Got his CBC (chicken,bacon,cheddar) and Greek (chicken, feta, spinach) along with some Lebowski (fresh polish)
Since we were having some beef kebabs I only did the chicken sausages, saving The Lebowski for later. Leftover kebabs turned into some chili for Sunday lunch!
I was the only one in the shop so, Chris and I had a chance to chat for a couple of minutes. He says he doing well enough to keep his head above water so, I will continue to support him as much as I can. Great guy! Excellent product. He may not be able to make his “Duke” sausages (a porterhouse in a casing) this year, usually only has them for about three days around Father’s Day. I’ll check in.

Visited my local grocery store today, Crest Foods. Its a small chain of 4 or 5 stores in OKC. But very popular, nice clean stores that are price competitive with WalMart.

For the first time since March , the meat dept was well stocked. From seafood, to poultry, to packaged meats, to the butcher counter .... looked the " old days " .

But the prices ............ wow. I was paying $12 a pound for CAB choice ribeye, its now $20 a pound.

CAB choice packer cut brisket at $8 a pound, the brisket I looked at was a little over $135 .

I knew these price increases were coming, but I still got sticker shock when I saw them And this is probably the new normal, especially if I start buying from local cattle producers.

There are four meat processors who are 80% of that market. That's not a good thing, this virus has exposed the shortcomings. But they can do that function cheaper due to economy of scale.

The agricultural commodity cycle is usually pretty short. Producers can bring more product to market fairly quickly. Whether this processing bottleneck will continue to keep prices high, will determine if this really is the new normal.

I agree Lynn, four processors is not a good idea! More local processing facilities would be smarter, there are a couple of small places around here but, nothing very close.

I have to go to Costco in hopes I can get a decent slab of cow for my wife’s son’s birthday.
I would have gone this morning but, I threw my back sideways putting the proof of insurance in the car! I hate getting old but, the alternative is worse.
I might visit my local butcher instead, they are closer really, I only need one. I think I just talked myself out of a trip across town! But, I might need booze!

I weas at the store this morning and found boneless beef rib roasts for $4.99/lb, but they're Mexican beef from "SuKarne". I didn't get one, but the idea of picking one up and turning it into hamburger on an as-needed basis did cross my mind.

I ordered a Black Angus Choice brisket from Creekstone Farms last Thursday during their National Brisket Day Special. It was advertised as between 13 and 16 pounds and the receipt said approximately 13 pounds. It arrived this morning packed in ice and the brisket weighed 19 pounds. It should just fit on my 18.5.
C890F516-25BE-47F9-9C58-345424518C24.jpeg

I was at my local meijer the other day and Oxtails on sale $ 9.00 lb.o_O Jeez I remember as a kid the butcher would give em away or toss them.
They were featuring mostly fish in the end cases and they were well stocked. Cod, salmon, catfish.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back