Shopping and Social Distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco is now limiting the amount of meat that you can buy. The limit is 2 packs per customer. Unclear if this is 2 packs total or 2 packs of beef, 2 packs of chicken, etc.

Hrrm..... that might put a crimp in something I'm planning on doing this month, smoking 4-5 full packer briskets for the local first responder crews. I may have to check out Restaurant Depot when I'm up in the Cities for a hardware repair this week.

Costco update:

The good news: I just checked their website and fresh meat purchases are temporarily limited to 3 per member, not 2.

The bad news: It is 3 items total.

Hrrm..... that might put a crimp in something I'm planning on doing this month, smoking 4-5 full packer briskets for the local first responder crews. I may have to check out Restaurant Depot when I'm up in the Cities for a hardware repair this week.

That's not a bad idea. There isn't a Restaurant Depot in Southern OR area where we go to do our shopping at Costco, WinCo, etc. But there is a Cash & Carry store (which is similar to Restaurant Depot).

I haven't been there since last fall so will have to check it out again when I go for the Memorial Day Weekend Charcoal Sales in 3 weeks.

Costco update:

The good news: I just checked their website and fresh meat purchases are temporarily limited to 3 per member, not 2.

The bad news: It is 3 items total.
I was there yesterday and bought two packs of steak and one pack of pork chops. I didn't realize until reading this they set a limit. But I wasn't panic buying and hording. Just grabbing things I know we would be using. Y wife was looking for chicken also but they didn't have what she wanted so we only had three packages of meat. Now I wonder what would have happened if she found chicken and we got to checkout with four packs of meat.

That's not a bad idea. There isn't a Restaurant Depot in Southern OR area where we go to do our shopping at Costco, WinCo, etc. But there is a Cash & Carry store (which is similar to Restaurant Depot).

I do have another option in my back pocket. The local tavern can get me a case of 5 packers, the owner really likes our business (and the fact that I smoked 2 briskets for their holiday party,) and has offered on several occasions to place an order for me. While the case over the holidays came in graded choice they all appeared to be high grade choice, borderline prime.

Some of the beef,pork,and chicken processing plants have been hit hard with the virus, slowing down the flow of meat products, some in Iowa,and South Dakota are revving back up to speed but will take awhile, so I see prices to stay on the rise for the near future, or for ever with human greed stepping in.

Just got back from Walmart, what a zoo! Our Walmart now has the one way aisles which nobody paid any attention too. People crawling all over each other and Carts overflowing. No one at the entrance to limit the amount of customers in the store. Totally nuts! Didn't go near the meat section wasn't any room with all the people lined up.

Just got back from Walmart, what a zoo! Our Walmart now has the one way aisles which nobody paid any attention too. People crawling all over each other and Carts overflowing. No one at the entrance to limit the amount of customers in the store. Totally nuts! Didn't go near the meat section wasn't any room with all the people lined up.
Sounds like the Walmart by me - parking lot full and bus drop offs. I rarely went there before the pandemic. There’s a Harris Teeter across the street where we shop. It’s 81,000 sq feet and is pretty much fully stocked. The only limitation is you can only buy 2 Boston butts at $.99 per pound. I was there yesterday and noticed they’re selling wholesale packages of chicken.

We have three supermarkets within three blocks of each other. Walmart, Fry's (Kroger) and Safeway where Barb works and there all super busy all the time. We avoid Walmart for the most part but that's where we get our prescriptions filled. So if were in there picking up our prescriptions and we need a few things we well get them there.

I won't even step foot in a Walmart any more. I always feel like I need a shower when I leave one. Would honestly rather pay more than deal with the hordes at Walmart. Hell I was so po'd at Sam's I didn't even renew them last week either. I hate being treated the way those places treat me

Our walmart was pretty much like that till the town stepped in and ordered them to limit how many people that could be in the store and to block all non food and pharmacy aisles, which they did. The guy who used to check receipts now counts heads. There are still a few that go the wrong way, but then I catch myself doing it too. It's a lot better now.

Pammi has been hitting up the Walmart online shopping, pick up at the store for the last few weeks and it's been working out nicely. She starts a list on Monday, with a Friday pick up.
It's been fairly smooth so far. A couple substitutions had us going, "What the...!?!?!", but it hasn't been too bad.
And, we get my 85 year old mom to give us a list by Thursday, the last day that she can add to her list, so that we can bring it to her on Saturday.
We gave her a couple cloth face masks and some disposable gloves to wear for when she feels that she absolutely feels that she HAS to go to the store, along with STRICT instructions on wearing them!
My 89 year old dad in NJ gets some of his step-daughters to go to the store for him so that he doesn't have to.
But he doesn't trust them to go to the "medicine" store and get his case of medicine and clear bottled medicine!
So, he gloves and masks up to make those runs himself! :ROFLMAO:
When Pammi and myself need to go to the stores, we mask up and sanitize our hands after we get out of there. NO face touching!
I also only wear a mask when delivering to the Home Depot's, as we have to stock their shelves out on the sales floor.
All my other deliveries are in the back and I'm limited to the number of people that I deal with.

I do have another option in my back pocket. The local tavern can get me a case of 5 packers, the owner really likes our business (and the fact that I smoked 2 briskets for their holiday party,) and has offered on several occasions to place an order for me. While the case over the holidays came in graded choice they all appeared to be high grade choice, borderline prime.

Stopped at the RD close to my client office..... no dice. They're limiting non-foodservice customers to 1 package of meat only.

I went to my local Jewel (Albertsons) yesterday. They still had the " wear masks when entering" sign up, and they were still wiping down carts, but all the one way aisle signs were gone. I went there to get tortillas and chips. Two sales reps were hanging around the one area I needed to shop.
Both had masks on but they were hanging down, only protecting their necks.
I stood 6' away and kinda stared at them while they BS'd. They finally got the hint and moved on.
Tim

Stopped at the RD close to my client office..... no dice. They're limiting non-foodservice customers to 1 package of meat only.

Hrrrm. Hang on to your hats, sounds like it might get rough.

The gent here at the local tavern told me tonight that his ground beef prices are going up by 60%, and his staff may not come back to work when he can finally open up, they're making more on unemployment that he can pay them. He's gonna let me know tomorrow what this is looking like.

WalMarts here did some counting of folks early on but have backed off. Same with Home Depot and Lowes. Very little social distancing. Maybe 20-25% of people wearing masks. No WalMart/Food Lion/Home Depot/Lowes employees have confirmed cases despite the traffic and lack of 'safe measures' from the customers.

We have 329 cases and 5 deaths in the entire county.

I would bet that more than 300 businesses are gone, maybe never to return.

I went to my local Jewel (Albertsons) yesterday. They still had the " wear masks when entering" sign up, and they were still wiping down carts, but all the one way aisle signs were gone. I went there to get tortillas and chips. Two sales reps were hanging around the one area I needed to shop.
Both had masks on but they were hanging down, only protecting their necks.
I stood 6' away and kinda stared at them while they BS'd. They finally got the hint and moved on.
Tim
Glad you were able to survive such a traumatic event. You sure showed them!
Feel free to bash me all you like, but in the grandest scheme of things, two reps talking in a store they’re stocking for you to shop in, this is what you have to complain about? How’s about next time, from your safe 6’ distance, you thank them for working out in this crazy situation day in and day out, making it ever so easy for you so all you have to do is look for things others are doing wrong.
Tim

Glad you were able to survive such a traumatic event. You sure showed them!
Feel free to bash me all you like, but in the grandest scheme of things, two reps talking in a store they’re stocking for you to shop in, this is what you have to complain about? How’s about next time, from your safe 6’ distance, you thank them for working out in this crazy situation day in and day out, making it ever so easy for you so all you have to do is look for things others are doing wrong.
Tim

Yea, I survived. I did say excuse me and said thank you when they moved.
My Mom's in the hospital after testing positive for covid, so I'm much more aware of my surroundings when and if I go out.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back