Shopping and Social Distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bulk spices are long gone. For items like sugar, flour, etc. You now can only buy the pre-packed stuff.
I wonder if the store's just aren't selling the bulk serve yourself stuff for safety reasons. The store around the corner from me has all the dispensers covered so you can't use them.

I went to the grocery store and the salad bar was filled with pre-packaged olives and other marinated items. Either the store was packaging the help yourself items or the supplier sends them in small packs.
Probably helps to keep away the samplers.
Other stuff can be spotty.
Flour and Toilet Paper are usually cleared out

I wonder if the store's just aren't selling the bulk serve yourself stuff for safety reasons. The store around the corner from me has all the dispensers covered so you can't use them.

Yes, that seems to be the case. Even the bulk serve yourself coffee beans have been removed.

I actually saw a few prime ribeyes today at Sam's, but I thought I would try choice ribeyes instead.

Just how big are companies like Tyson? I hear they are closing down a few plants, and I've also heard that some livestock will be depopulated.

My kids shop for me once a week. They want me to stay home. I don't feel that old......

Not sure how their "will call" works. If anyone knows tell me please if you can do will call and get around those stupid lines. Otherwise I will just have to cancel the sale and try something else. I cannot see the point of paying a membership fee and not even being able to get into the store.

We use it, well my Wife does. She shops on her phone, pays for it also and they text you when it's ready. They give you a order # and when you pull up you text them and tell them it's so and so and here's my #. They wheel the stuff out in a cart and you load it.
They had a bit of a glitch for the last three days. We could put stuff in our online cart, but couldn't check out. Called CS and the guy told us to wait till after midnight to check out ( they have been overwhelmed with online orders), that's when they restart the system. He said you should be one of the earliest ones done.

Tim

Wife and I went to a local chain, Schnucks, today for a med refill and a few odds and ends.
Pretty busy at midday, over half wearing masks, we were too. Impossible to pass some folks and stay 6' away.
Didn't buy meat, but the butcher case and pre-packaged cases seemed well stocked, along with most other store items.
Didn't go down the paper goods aisle, but at a glance it looked like empty shelving in that area.

Barb and I went to her Safeway this morning. Meat department was wiped out. Had some Sanderson's pre packaged chicken when on sale used to be .79-.99 a pound now it's $3.99 a pound. Couple of pork butts normally .99 - 1.19lb now $5.99 lb. Don't ask about the two miserable looking tri-tips at 12.99 lb. Best of all 80/20 ground beef $5.99 lb.
Normally they have 5-6 butchers working, today just one.

Well as regarding the will call question. Wonderful Sam's sent me an email yesterday notifying me they got my request for cancellation and did so. I called up and told them I did not cancel and I want my order. "well we don't have them now". Spoke to the store manager. Told him I've been with them since the store opened like 20 some years ago. He promised me he'd find me another. Mean time my membership expires today and I think I am done with them. Went this AM for senior shopping hour. I did score a pkg TP. I managed to buy 1 pkg pork chops and 1 pkg pork tenderloins. (everything was limit 1). Had to wait in a long line to get in as well.
Went to Costco right after. Big difference. Their senior shopping is Tue, Wed, Thu, for 2 hours Sam's only Tue/Wed for 1 hour.
Much more well stocked at Costco as well BUT I could not find any whole chickens. But scored a whole prime beef tenderloin, 2 pkgs boneless chuck short ribs, and some other stuff so not a bad haul
So now I have in stock and need to make ready for the freezer. A whole prime strip loin, whole prime beef tenderloin, 2 pkgs pork tenderloins, pkg pork loin chops, pkg catfish fillets, 2 pkgs chuck boneless short ribs,
So hopefully I can stretch those supplies through any protein shortages. Kinda ticked me off that Costco did not have limits on amounts of meat so some hoarders were really going over board. Saw people taking 5 or 6 whole pork loins at a time, multiple packages of ribs, and other stuff
Really this is the stuff that truly ticks me off. I understand having a "little" extra. But come on..........................just how much can you eat? I have never bought so much in my life and it paled in comparison to what I saw leaving that store.
The Sam's club even had cops there enforcing the limits!

Yesterday and this morning I went to two different grocer chains. They have excellent set ups for keeping people safe.... One way aisles WELL MARKED, cart sanitizing, checkout protection with distancing, etc. Biggest problem seems to be seniors ignoring the one way provisions and a few with no masks which are required here in Nevada. Being part of that "at risk" population with a wife at home with pre-existing conditions, I kept hearing in my head a lines from "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". "Your going the wrong way!" just before going between two Semi's. If this was the first week or two of these restrictions, it would be one thing, but it's been in place too long. Certainly isn't "Old Timers Disease", just people not being considerate of others.

We're an hour outside of Austin. Our county has had one death (82-year-old). Go another hour farther out and there are several counties with less than 5 cases and zero deaths. In our little town, the H-E-B supermarket is doing well as are the Ace hardware an gas stations. Restaurants are being supported by locals buying take out. (Most are also selling bread and milk, too.) Out in Comfort, TX life is pretty normal. food service staff are wearing masks and gloves, but customers aren't Everyone is distancing, but there isn't an atmosphere of panic. Texas is opening up more widely on Friday. Retail stores can open at 25% capacity. Inside dining can start with distancing specs. Wineries will open again this weekend. There are about 60 in the Hill Country AVA. State parks are opening, but you have to make a reservation and pay your fee online. Texas has been spared a big hit from C-19. The number of deaths per 100k population is 2 -- among the lowest in the country. We'll see how Phase One goes and hopefully Phase Two can start in Mid-May.

Jeff

Don't ask about the two miserable looking tri-tips at 12.99 lb.

I picked up an entire beef tenderloin at Costco on Saturday for $12.59/lb. It's a little higher than I recall, but still far from unreasonable. Carved up into 6 oz. filets & a couple of packages of bits for things like stroganoff.

They had a bit of a glitch for the last three days. We could put stuff in our online cart, but couldn't check out. Called CS and the guy told us to wait till after midnight to check out ( they have been overwhelmed with online orders), that's when they restart the system. He said you should be one of the earliest ones done.

Well the midnight tip didn't work. Tried every half hour after that till 2.30 and gave up and went to bed.
We had no problems ordering and getting home delivery thru Meijers yesterday,basically just pantry items, produce, milk and bread.

Tim

I have a 21 year old Whirlpool refrigerator that works like a charm. However, I’ve been leery of buying and freezing meat because of the age of the refrigerator.
I starting shopping around right when the hoarding began. Suddenly, there wasn’t a refrigerator or freezer available in my area.
Anyway, I noticed online that refrigerators were available at Lowe’s and there was a good sale going on. My wife and I went to Lowe’s this morning and bought one for 22% off. We were out the door in half an hour.
The salesman was a really nice guy. In fact he advised us to just wait until my old refrigerator died.

Went to the South StL county Costco at midday, pretty busy, most everyone was wearing masks.
Beef and pork selection was good, didn't check on poultry. Prime brisket packers @ $3.49/lb.
Only bought a packer beef tenderloin for $9.99/lb.
No TP in stock, all checkout lanes were open, no waiting at all. Gas was $1.49.
Went through Raising Cane's drive-thru for lunch. The world seemed almost ordinary today.
Now back in our cave.

1588280073801.png

What I'm finding challenging about shopping is my tendency to want to pick up and look at produce and meat before deciding which ones to get. This is a particularly strong impulse in the meat department. As most of us here know, if you sift through the Choice stuff, you can often find things that are 'more Choice' than others - sometimes they border on Prime. I'm trying not to do that, knowing that someone coming in after me will have to touch the same thing, but it's hard.

Went to Sams twice today ( Earlier) and the line was down the block. Crappy day to be standing outside in the wind & rain so I said screw it.
Wife just left with our Son to try again. She saw on FB that the lines disappear about 5pm so we'll see.:rolleyes:

Tim

So 5pm wasn't so bad. 20 min wait to get in. Store was ok as far as stock. No ground beef but scored a prime brisket for 2.69lb
Got some beef cheeks for tacos and chuck steaks, country style ribs. TP and PT were available so she nabbed one of each along with facial tissue.

Tim

Starting on Mon, Costco will require all customers to wear masks while in the store.

Incredibly, some members have stated on Social media that they are going to cancel their memberships as a result. WTH is wrong with some people? This is likely just temporary and how often do you go to Costco anyway? Once every few weeks? Seems ridiculous to me to cancel your membership over this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back