Roll Call

Where did you find these beauties at? Inquiring minds want to know.
Chris those pictures are from Pape meats in Millbrae, next time your are up the peninsula I highly recommend you swing by, great meat and even better people.

Last edited:
I haven't posted since NOVEMBER?!?!? Yikes! I always poke my head in here, love seeing what you are all cooking. Haven't been grilling much myself lately, and nothing post worthy. I do like the new format though (thanks, Chris!) Lately, I've been experimenting a lot with homemade pasta, and have the process down pretty well. This is just some Tagliatelle, but the chicken in the sauce was smoked on the WSM, so it counts, right? Good to "see" y'all! :)

Rich

View attachment 256
Good to see ya around Rich. Let's see, artisan bread, home brewing, photography, cycling. Now homemade pasta! Why do I think it's all just the tip of the iceberg? Looks delicious btw.

Good to see ya around Rich. Let's see, artisan bread, home brewing, photography, cycling. Now homemade pasta! Why do I think it's all just the tip of the iceberg? Looks delicious btw.
Thanks, Cliff. The pasta is actually incredibly easy once you get a feel for how the dough needs to be in order to not either be dry/crumbly, or stick to the pasta roller! :) I can share the recipe and process.....you don't even need a pasta roller, but it is much easier to get even thickness with one (and you can usually find them on CL for $25-35.) I dropped the home brewing a while ago, but I did recently move my photography skyward and have been messing with some Deep Space photography. It's fun, and keeps me from going to bed too early. This is the Andromeda Galaxy:

E9D84531-268A-46A5-BE7C-2F702DB6575F.jpeg

I'll get my grills fired back up, and post anything noteworthy. :)

R

I dropped the home brewing a while ago, but I did recently move my photography skyward and have been messing with some Deep Space photography. It's fun, and keeps me from going to bed too early. This is the Andromeda Galaxy:
Hmmmm. I have a heck of a time getting a decent hot dog picture and you come up with...... THIS, the Andromeda Galaxy.:D(y) Your skills are amazing Rich. I forgot that a year or so ago I made a batch of ravioli's from scratch with a hand stamp. They came out really good. I didn't post them on our forum as they were vegan ravioli's for our daughter's family and I didn't want to get shot.

I make homemade pasta all the time. Only kind I eat. Never thought of making photos LOL. Because of diabetes type II pasta has been on my bad list BUT after much study I have found studies showing glyphosate used on many of the American crops especially grain crops may have a bad effect on diabetics. Well at my store locally they have lots of import products and one I am truly thankful I have found is Granoro 00 flour and Semolina flour. It comes from Italy and glyphosates are illegal to use in Europe. So I thought........................give it a try. Well not only can I eat my homemade fettuccine with no "ill effect" BUT my glucose levels actually go DOWN!
Here is a recipe and technique I like
It yields the equivalent of about 1 to 1.25 lb equivalent of dried fettuccine. It fed our family of 4 VERY well with leftovers

5.5 oz of 00 flour

5.5 oz of semolina flour

1 tsp sea salt (MOL to taste)

1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3 large eggs

Up to 3 tsp room temp water (yesterday it took about 2 but I go slowly with it)

I used my large food processor to make the dough. I have tried both with the mixer and the processor and I seem to get a more tender nicer consistency with the food processor

I put the dry ingredients in and gave it a couple quick pulses then added the eggs and EVOO

Let it run until it looks like wet sand and added tiny amounts of water until it came together to a ball. I kneaded on the counter with a little bench flour to prevent sticking until it was a nice smooth ball.

I let it rest at least 30 minutes (this part is important because the semolina is quite “hard”) and this is where I had issues before.

Then run it through the pasta rollers (I like a more textural pasta so I only ran it to #5 but even #4 is very nice) Next time I intend to only go to #4 as it gives a better “bite”

Once all the sheets were done I ran it through the fettuccine cutter and into well-floured little “nests”. Plenty of salted boiling water and I cooked it in 4 batches. Cooking time is only 2 minutes for #5 thickness and ad 15 to 30 seconds for #4 thickness. Again being an Italian I like a little more “bite” on my pasta.

They were perfect with my Bolognese style sauce ( I cannot use pork products due to wife’s allergy to pork so I only use beef/veal). It’s not “real” Bolognese but we like it 😃

I made it. I don't have a recent photo but maybe this one will meet the minimum requirements for posting.
20190712_175230~2.jpg

Larry, thanks for the pasta recipe. As a fellow type 2-er, that grabs my attention.
Yep, again this AM glucose reading was quite low yet I had my home made fettuccine al la Bolognese style. Yet if I had eaten store bought pasta it would not be the case. Though in all honesty I have not sought out pasta that I can be sure was NOT made in the USA and with US grown wheat. Perhaps if I did I would get the same results. But making my own seems much more satisfying and therapeutic plus I think it tastes better

Back