Question: BRISKET on WSM

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
WATER in pan
or
NO WATER in pan

What Do You Experts Do?

I have a 8.9 lb packer trimmed and going on my 22" :wsm22: WSM very early tomorrow (Saturday 28th).
Plan to cook at a steady 250ºF until great.

I'm thinking NO WATER.

Am I right
or
Am I wrong?

What Do You Experts Do?
What about us hacks? :)

I'm a waterless WSM guy, so that get's my vote. My question (if I were you) would be: "Wrap or don't wrap?"
I remember Bob (from So. Cal) saying to wrap it when the bark sets. I pretty much know when that's happened, the question I'd ponder would be. Wrap in foil or wrap in paper....? Seems to me, you have a boatload of butcher paper. That's probably the route I'd go. One thing for sure, it'll be Miller Time

Edited to identify Bob Bass (from So.Cal) He's the Brisket man

Last edited:
Bob, that's no help.
was the nap cut short by a barking puppy? :p
Chucko, paper wrap.

nice signature line Bob

Can't wait to see that brisket....

before trimming

brisket1.jpg

after trimming

brisket2.jpg

I vote no water, but I'm wondering if I got a better smoke ring back when I used the water..... Probably no water

....another no expert here but I like that old school low and slow with the water pan filled up...lots of hickory and 225 to 230 ish for many many hours. Just my preferance and never seems to fail me (although I would probably start it late tonight instead of early tomorrow)

If I was doing ribs or chicken I would not bother with the water...but if you spent the bucks on a nice brisket then do it nice and slow..

Just my 2 cents!!

Go with out water in the pan, In all the years i owned my WMS it only saw water 1 time ,It's just not needed IMO.

....another no expert here but I like that old school low and slow with the water pan filled up...lots of hickory and 225 to 230 ish for many many hours. Just my preferance and never seems to fail me (although I would probably start it late tonight instead of early tomorrow)

If I was doing ribs or chicken I would not bother with the water...but if you spent the bucks on a nice brisket then do it nice and slow..

Just my 2 cents!!

that's where I'm at as well. the heat sink is nice. In the end it's a personal preference. I can't seem to tell the difference tastewise water or no water.

go heavy on the smoke is all I'll say, especially since you're planning to wrap it. I've only done high heat packers with a dry pan.

No water in my pan. However I just received a book by Bill Gillespie titled "Secrets To Smoking On the Weber Smokey Mountain" and he says water. He's one of these grand champs of this and that so I don't know. I'm not gonna do it. I have been happy with my briskest. I like the paper wrap idea. Never tried it.

Never done a brisket so I can't say, but if I did no water is all I've ever done so that would be my choice.
Looking forward to the results of this cook, knowing Jim it's going to be good!

Back