Question: BRISKET on WSM

After trying about everything (sand, terra cotta, nuthin') with hit and miss results, I'm back with water, lo 'n' slo and no wrap. My 18.5 can hold 230-240 for 12-14 hours on one fuel load. Did a trimmed 12 lb. USDA Prime packer a few weeks ago that was perfect at 194 after 13 hours.

After trying about everything (sand, terra cotta, nuthin') with hit and miss results, I'm back with water, lo 'n' slo and no wrap. My 18.5 can hold 230-240 for 12-14 hours on one fuel load. Did a trimmed 12 lb. USDA Prime packer a few weeks ago that was perfect at 194 after 13 hours.

Hi,

What do you consider a "fuel load?"

How do you set the vent dampers to get 12-14 hours?

Heck, might be better if you describe the whole process from start to finish. Would you, please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jim, how did it come out?

Is it all gone yet? You never know how many friends you have until you hit the lottery or smoke a brisket. :)

I am NOT an expert. BUT I started recently thinking of moisture in the air. During winter time here in Rome I can feel humidity in the air and I stopped therefore using water. Today was a dry day with the first sun. Surely it was not as moist as yeasterday or the days before. And I was wrong not using water. My ribs outcame dry.

Back