Nitrile or vinyl gloves for Q'in' and grillin'

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I've been using disposable gloves for many many years now... so easy to look at my amazon history and reorder another case, and think nothing of it.
SD2018r.jpg
well, i'm running terribly low and nearly every place I've look into, they're temporarily out. The only place i haven't check yet is the place that has them readily in-stock. The only place is non-existent.
fogo3.jpg
Although my hands are clean when i do handle food (meat), I feel uncomfortable handling food (meat) barehanded.
D31887D6-8719-4E7C-97A7-45550594346D.jpeg

Last edited:
It's the same here.
I wanted to get some for my mom for when she absolutely HAD to go to the store, but everyone was sold out.
I gave her some that I had that were way too big for her.
Try auto parts stores.
They're probably going to cost more, but it's worth a try.

Jim, if you've got an auto parts store close by, they may have disposable nitrile mechanic's gloves. Not the obvious source for gloves, so they may not be cleaned out. I've been using them for a while with no problems.

R

PS: Whoops, Phil just posted that! :) I'd like to say great minds think alike, but I'm more like the blind squirrel that occasionally finds a nut.... :)

My youngest is building his own PC right now and I went to MicroCenter today to pick up a part for him. Interesting situation entering the store. They had an employee determining whether or not you could enter based on how many people were already in (fortunately no wait). Two guys walking in ahead of me weren't wearing masks and the employee told them there was a table inside on the right with masks and gloves, if they wanted them. Then the two pulled their masks out of their pockets and put them on as they walked in. But this was the first time I'd seen anyone offering PPE upon entering their establishment.

Hope you can find some gloves, Jim.

Do you have a harbor freight nearby? I have not been in ours t check lately, but that’s where I had bee buying mine before chaos and fear took over...you looking for SIZE XL?
Tim

thanks for the suggestions... i think i'll sweat it out, make what i do have left last...
This cannot be a year long drought.

but then, yeah, it could be.

HF sent an email and a notice on their web site. They gave away all their nitrile gloves to hospitals and such. Keep watching Costco. I got a box of small vinyl gloves for wife and daughter to use when they fill the cars up.

We were kinda lucky ( I guess) My Wife works OB and the gloves have an expiration date, so instead of tossing them, she brought em home.
I had a nice stash until this whole mess started so we gave them away to friends, family and a few to curbside sites.
I was working on fuel lines on my generator and edger today, and noticed I'm on a half a box.
So I gotta ask myself, do I save them for shopping, or meat prep or something else?
I noticed last week that Farm & Fleet had them by the checkouts. I need to go there tomorrow so I'll check and see if they are still available.

Tim

I get splits every so often on pretty much any light gloves regardless of thickness or material. I'll get heavier gloves for the shop, lighter for the kitchen.

took inventory today, i have plenty... over 100 vinyl and one box of black nitrile that liz brought back from her store (not using them).
not to mention nearly 1000 of the cheapo econo poly gloves...

Thank you all for your help/concerns and ideas of outlets!

Do you have a harbor freight nearby? I have not been in ours t check lately, but that’s where I had bee buying mine before chaos and fear took over...you looking for SIZE XL?
Tim

I normally buy mine at HF, and went there looking for some for mom.
The whole section was empty, saying that they had been donated to the local hospital.

took inventory today, i have plenty... over 100 vinyl and one box of black nitrile that liz brought back from her store (not using them).
not to mention nearly 1000 of the cheapo econo poly gloves...

Thank you all for your help/concerns and ideas of outlets!
Good to hear. Now you don't have to guarantee a supply of gloves by making a midlife career change to proctologist. ;)

Last edited:
I've got a box of the black nitrile and some my wife has. Her's are exam gloves. I can't see anything that says they are food safe. I don't know if it matters with just a pair of gloves but it's worth thinking about. I only use food safe ones. If I'm cooking for just my immediate family I don't bother with them.

Nitrile is considered the material of choice for handling food. However, most products are not FDA certified. I worked in a hospital for 34 years and nitrile gloves are superior to the examination gloves we used.

Back