New WSM 18 owner

Matt Galletti

Hi all- introducing myself. Based outside of Philly, I just picked up a used 18” WSM a week ago and am planning my first cook tomorrow. I will be using the basic ribs recipe and am pretty excited. I have never used a smoker before, but have done the oven to grill many times, so at least the rib prep will be somewhat consistent. I have been wanting a WSM for months, read a ton, and look forward to sharing the results. Happy holidays, everyone.

Have fun!

If you're cooking in the cold, won't need a full pan of water, and may need more coals.

In case you didn't know, the water pan is for temp control, not moisture. Could fill it halfway with hot water; will be fine either way, just watch the lid temp and meat probe if using one.

Just made that two weekends ago with two full racks in 40F weather and took about 4 hours with some hot water in the pan.

Other general tips you may know is open the door if lid temp is dropping. Open the door, not the lid. Can poke a rake or tongs in there to stir the coals.

Either way will turn out great!

Thanks for the encouragement! a friend left is corporate job a few years back and opened a BBQ spot in Smyrna, DE, and has been guiding me on this purchase for a while. I am really pumped!

Well…just finished eating those beautiful ribs. Came in around 5 hours all together. I put them on at 11:48, sprayed at 2:45, 3:15, 3:45, 4:15. At 4:30 I put some sauce on and at 4:50 I added mango habanero rib candy. Took them off around 5. A few thoughts:

- what a fun process! I really enjoyed learning a little bit about this smoker and enjoyed the process.
- they tasted VERY good. My wife even went back for seconds (this is big). I think they were a SMIDGE drier than I like
- I did have to mess with the vents here and there, but in fairness, it is in the 30’s and a little windy here in Southeast PA.
- I tried like hell to not peek, but I did a little bit. More discipline is needed
- I think I could have put more water in. I had it about 25% fills, but not sure the amount needed.
- I read on the the Texas pepper jelly site that some combine the rib candy or honey with the BBQ sauce before applying. I may try that, or no BBQ sauce at all.

All in, these were much tastier than the oven baked for 3 hours and transfer to the grill method. Felt more pure. I am all in on the WSM and thank this wonderful forum and site for all the tips, especially for a beginner like me!

Attachments

• 43D115BA-54B1-4477-AB78-17D5F0ABB416.jpeg
    43D115BA-54B1-4477-AB78-17D5F0ABB416.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 21
  • E1144510-9303-486E-BEED-3DBE9678F125.jpeg
    E1144510-9303-486E-BEED-3DBE9678F125.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 480A33A3-608F-4A5B-9E20-09D84D889B69.jpeg
    480A33A3-608F-4A5B-9E20-09D84D889B69.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 21
Well…I guess I have the WSM bug! Got about 4 pounds of wings from Wegmans today. Used a Jack Daniels poultry rub and smoked these for about 1:45 minutes around 235. Single piece of Apple wood. Finished them in Tupperware with a BBQ sauce and mango habanero rib jelly mix. They were terrific. Appreciate all the info on this site!

Attachments

• 0A217046-4F14-4817-881D-9622CC9791F1.jpeg
    0A217046-4F14-4817-881D-9622CC9791F1.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 10
Enjoy your WSM Matt! Watcha gonna smoke next?
Thanks Bob! I made some pork loin tonight for me and my wife and kids, and made enough for pork tacos tomorrow night. I also made 2 additional for my neighbor up the road, as he gave me a bit of firewood recently.

Used the flip every 5 minute method. No pan. After 20 minutes I put it over the coals and applied sauce. BBQ and rib candy in one and bbq and honey in the other. Made 4 total, 2&2 flavor wise.

One question would be, how to get more of a balanced sauce taste for the final product. I got a pretty heavy dominant BBQ taste and not the heat or honey from the hybrids. Tried to do a 1:1 balance. Wondering if I should have added butter and microwaved or something.

Welcome to the club Matt, and so far you are doing us proud,great photos, and loads of info. And wanting to learn just how to do it one step better. Smoking is fun, trying to out smart the weather,and your imagination of how this cook should turn out,makes it so enjoyable.

Thanks Bob! I made some pork loin tonight for me and my wife and kids, and made enough for pork tacos tomorrow night. I also made 2 additional for my neighbor up the road, as he gave me a bit of firewood recently.

Used the flip every 5 minute method. No pan. After 20 minutes I put it over the coals and applied sauce. BBQ and rib candy in one and bbq and honey in the other. Made 4 total, 2&2 flavor wise.

One question would be, how to get more of a balanced sauce taste for the final product. I got a pretty heavy dominant BBQ taste and not the heat or honey from the hybrids. Tried to do a 1:1 balance. Wondering if I should have added butter and microwaved or something.
I use an Eastern NC vinegar based sauce for my wings. If I was going to use a store bought sauce I’d cut it with an equal amount of apple cider vinegar.

Late to the thread. Matt you are going to LOVE that WSM 18. I bought mine used (practically brand new), and have used it extensively. Between the WSM and my Performer, there isn't much I can't deal with.

Your ribs look fantastic! As for sauce recommendations, check out the recipe section of this site. There are some tried and true sauce recipes in there, and enough of them to keep you experimenting for a long time.

Late to the thread. Matt you are going to LOVE that WSM 18. I bought mine used (practically brand new), and have used it extensively. Between the WSM and my Performer, there isn't much I can't deal with.

Your ribs look fantastic! As for sauce recommendations, check out the recipe section of this site. There are some tried and true sauce recipes in there, and enough of them to keep you experimenting for a long time.
That is very cool. I have a genesis I bought new last summer, as my then 12 year old 2 burner spirit finally got outgrown. I got the genesis three burner, which has been great, and knowing I would get a smoker of some kind. I am excited to really get the two of them working in hybrid for meals, but learning the WSM right now is plenty fun.
this will also be an excuse to plan and build an outdoor cooking table and rearrange our patio.

Welcome to the club Matt, and so far you are doing us proud,great photos, and loads of info. And wanting to learn just how to do it one step better. Smoking is fun, trying to out smart the weather,and your imagination of how this cook should turn out,makes it so enjoyable.
Thanks, Kevin. Really enjoying this process. You are spot on about my imagination. Each time I have used it, I have done 3 different styles. Long cook, medium cook, short cook, and have connecting aspects of each to another as I go. It is a blast.

Thanks, Kevin. Really enjoying this process. You are spot on about my imagination. Each time I have used it, I have done 3 different styles. Long cook, medium cook, short cook, and have connecting aspects of each to another as I go. It is a blast.
Correct Matt, I do every cook just alittle different and just when I think I am on top of this,someone makes a post of there version, or I read a recipe that is another twist on my cook.
That is why I like this fourm so much to learn from so many great folks.

Back