New Barbecue Books for 2016

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
There's a new crop of barbecue books coming out in the early part of 2016...I'm sure some of these will become best-sellers.

If you're interested in buying, please consider using the Amazon links below. Every purchase generates a small commission that helps fund these forums. Thanks!

-----

Weber's New American Barbecue™: A Modern Spin on the Classics

Author Jamie Purviance teams up once again with Weber, the most trusted name in grilling, to offer the new definitive guide that blends traditional techniques and modern recipes. Through stories and essays, hundreds of photos, crystal-clear techniques, and 100 exceptional and fool-proof recipes, Weber’s New American Barbecue™ celebrates what’s happening at the grill today. From chefs creating new classics to everyday backyard heroes melding flavors to pitmasters setting new standards of excellence at competitions, this book explores the delicious evolution of our true American pastime—barbecue.

Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling

For succulent results every time, nothing is more crucial than understanding the science behind the interaction of food, fire, heat, and smoke. This is the definitive guide to the concepts, methods, equipment, and accessories of barbecue and grilling. The founder and editor of the world's most popular BBQ and grilling website, AmazingRibs.com, "Meathead" Goldwyn applies the latest research to backyard cooking and 118 thoroughly tested recipes.

Project Smoke

From Stephen Raichlen, America’s “master griller” (Esquire), comes a step-by-step guide to cold-smoking, hot-smoking, and smoke-roasting, and a collection of 100 innovative recipes for smoking every kind of food, from starters to desserts.

Smoke is the soul of barbecue, the alchemy that happens when burning wood infuses its magical flavors into food. Project Smoke tells you how to make the alchemy happen, with Raichlen’s seven steps to smoking nirvana; an in-depth description of the various smokers; the essential brines, rubs, marinades, and barbecue sauces; and a complete guide to fuel, including how each type of wood subtly seasons a dish. Then the recipes for 100 enticing, succulent, boldly-flavored smoked dishes, including Bacon-Crab Poppers, Cherry-Glazed Baby Back Ribs, Slam-Dunk Brisket, Jamaican Jerk Chicken—even Smoked Chocolate Bread Pudding.

Myron Mixon's BBQ Rules: The Old-School Guide to Smoking Meat

New York Times bestselling author and star of Destination America’s BBQ Pitmasters Myron Mixon goes back to the basics of backyard pit barbecuing with BBQ Rules, offering readers essential old-school barbecue techniques and 50 classic recipes.

Diva Q's Barbecue: 195 Recipes for Cooking with Family, Friends & Fire

Danielle Bennett, aka Diva Q, host of the hit TV show BBQ Crawl, brings us her backyard barbecue recipes, with more than 185 grilling favorites for absolutely everyone. With more than just recipes, Diva Q takes all the guesswork out of grilling for you, with guidance on everying from getting great char marks, to picking the right meat--and even points you to her YouTube videos online for extra help. If it's got anything to do with barbecue, Diva Q has got you covered!

Instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd use this....so I got a bday soon (4/6). And as usual, my father (overseas) combs Amazon with my latest hobbies in mind. So I scored some Beast Claws (Bear Claw-like handlers), some cool skewers, an odd indoor/outdoor "smoker" that I'm not sure if I'll use or not (scratching my head on that one). And then what lead me here.....he got my Myron Mixon's older book ("Smoking with Myron")

An interesting book to say the least! I mean, he sort of flies in the face of a few "never-do's" that I've learned in the past (lighter fluid?!?!). I'm not here to crack on him, as I think his record on the circuit speaks for itself. It actually just confirms that this whole "Q" thing is nothing more than an art-form as opposed to a recipe.

But I was just curious what the VWBB crowd thought of him? I'm going to find quite a few take-aways from this book of his, but was interested in hearing what others thought? I've never been a recipe book guy myself, but this one looks pretty solid.

I've got 3 books by Stephen Raichlen:

How To Grill (bride gave me this probably 15 years ago)
The BBQ Bible (excellent recipe source)
The BBQ Bible Sauces Rubs & Marinades - my favorite book, yet!
I see me getting Project Smoke, Father's Day :)

The New York Times Grilling book came late for Christmas but, in good time for peak grilling season!
I'm considering having a little "grill together" have half a dozen fellow grilling enthusiasts over and everyone do something simple. Several of them are also musicians so, it will be smoke and sounds coming from my back yard that afternoon!
Bluegrass music so, I may title the invitation "Pork and Pick Fest!"
Name is still open for discussion.

I have a pretty decent Grilling and Smoking library. I have one of Myron's books and it is the least useful book I have.

Weber's books are good as are Steven Raichlin's books And DVD's. One of my favorite books is "the Plank Grilling Book" by Dina Guillen (you can check out her blog for some great tips and recipes).

Of course, the information you get on this Forum and "Amazing Ribs" is the BEST without a doubt!

Thanks again to Chris!

P.S. I definitely am interested in Meathead's new book!

Keep on smokin'
Dale53:wsm:

I'm grabbing Myron's, Diva Q's, and Melissa Cookston's new book, which Amazon is taking pre-orders for as well! I love this time of year!

How does Franklins A Meat-Smoking Manifesto stack up to the above mentioned books?

Just curious do you guys get your books digitally so you have them wherever you go or hardcover?

Meathead's book is the most interesting to me. I like his scientific approach to the many issues that cooks have long debated.

I'll probably buy that one at some point.

One of the joys of being a dad now is Father's Day.
Project Smoke and Barbecue Bible are waiting for me on Sunday.
Adding those 2 to Jamie's new book and it will be a great summer.

I just need to decide what to cook on Sunday. I might do a chicken on the rotisserie.

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there.

I have Meathead's book and it is a worthy addition to my library!

A couple of weeks ago, I got a book in the mail. I was considering buying it but was sure I hadn't yet done so. Several days later, I checked into the Forum and discovered that I had WON Jamie Purviance's new book in the recent drawing! Wow! People actually win things on this forum "who wudda thot":eek:.

Many thanks to Chris and Jamie! It appears to be a DANDY book! Lots of interesting stuff on "New American BBQ".

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

How does Franklins A Meat-Smoking Manifesto stack up to the above mentioned books?

Just curious do you guys get your books digitally so you have them wherever you go or hardcover?

Franklin's book is as much a memoir as it is a guide to BBQ. I'm glad I got it, but I'm not using a big log burner to cook for thousands of people so a lot of it is not really relevant to me.

One incredibly useful piece of advice, though, is that every brisket is different, and every cook is different, and the best way to learn how to cook brisket is to cook lots of brisket. IOW, there is no easy path, and no one set of instructions for how to do it: cooks go sideways, a lot, and the best way to deal with that is to have a large knowledge base in your head that will allow you to deal with it.

I get mine digitally. Hardcover cookbooks that aren't in an open binding are really hard to reference in the middle of a cook.

Meathead and DivaQ are both worthy and useful. Meathead is good even if you frequent the website; there is more information in the book, and more recipes, and the information is presented in a linear fashion (the value of which cannot be underestimated).

Can anyone tell me if Meathead's book uses the metric or imperial system (or both).
Being European, I am imperially challenged (metric is just so much easier) ;)

Can anyone tell me if Meathead's book uses the metric or imperial system (or both).
Being European, I am imperially challenged (metric is just so much easier) ;)

Looking at the book preview on Amazon, I can see that all the temperatures are shown in Fahrenheit. I can't see any recipes in the preview, but I assume they're not metric.

Thanks, I noticed the same but hoped that there was someone with the book to shed some light on it.
I will probably still get it and then have to make notes inside the book :eek:

Back