Needing a challenge!!

Colby R

TVWBB Super Fan
Not trying to sound over confident but having a hard time coming up with something that is a challenge to cook besides brisket which I can't afford at the moment really considering wood plank smoking some salmon or something unique like that but pork butts and ribs you can't really screw up unless you try on the wsm

Since this is the BBQ forum I suggest a whole hog once you build a pit. No seriously, just up your pork game. Have you learned to cook it without foil? Can you time your cook so you won't have to hold in foil long at the end before pulling? Is it really good and juicy even without sauce?

I don't use foil any more have done both all perfectly juicy and delicious and have cooked for multiple crowds and yes it's better without sauce actually all of it is seriously it's not a challenge really I'm sure I'm not the only one with this thought and I'll look at the salmon rolls link thanks for the link !

how about grilling your neighbors?
ya know, sometimes they can be a bit loud at times...

ahhh, just hearing that faint sizzle can be sooo relaxing...
Yet, it's a challenge to fit them inside your 22"OTG.
Go on, you know you wanna... Go For It! ;)

Haha nope only lived here about a month don't dislike anyone yet ! I'm tAlking about more challenging things to cook like I said all I've done is loin ribs and butts and all of them are pretty simple season them correctly keep them at proper temps and pull them at right time not much to it when the wsm is more or less a one touch operation last weekend it ran 12 hours within a very tight temp range for 12 hours easily on a single load of charcoal ... I know brisket would be tough but I haven't seen one that isn't 60 dollars plus around here unless you want a 3 to 5 pounder ..

Speaking of brisket...
Our kids are grown and have moved all over the country. It really doesn't make sense for us to try to do a whole brisket. However, I have found an excellent substitute - Walmart's small points packed as "Corned Beef Points". Get a couple of four pounders and have at it!

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50287-Two-Brisket-points-become-Pastrami-on-the-14-5

Now, to address the "challenge" - whatever you smoke, when you learn how, most of the "challenge" is gone - that doesn't mean it's no longer worthwhile. "Knowing how" is GOOD!:cool:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Doing something different is a fun challenge. What other beef cuts haven't you done besides brisket?
Prices are nuts but cuts from the chuck or rump when on sale are a bargain.

Tim

I smoked a chuck roast awhile back it was good I have been steering clear of the corned beef briskets although they look very tempting

The rolls is as easy to put 1 and 1 together.(maby add another 1 at the end) Looking for somthing that i cant master...Is a pork belly rosted on the grill. Every one can do this...But to do it to be exellent is another story. Crispy skin..Enough fat render and so on. Pls report back if you find "THE" way

Start competing with your cooks and see how that goes and how easy it really is...

Other than that, just go to the meat counter and find something that looks good and see what happens. That is pretty much all you can do really other than messing with your recipes to get different results for different palates.

Well put, JayRob. Totally agree.
Competing is an excellent opportunity for meeting additional, ever changing, challenges head on.

I'd absolutely love to compete however with first kid on way and living in first house
I've bought less than a month I think that money is best spent elsewhere !

Not trying to sound over confident but having a hard time coming up with something that is a challenge to cook besides brisket which I can't afford at the moment really considering wood plank smoking some salmon or something unique like that but pork butts and ribs you can't really screw up unless you try on the wsm

How about making me some Beef Tripe. Let me know how they turn out. Should be tender but not chewy, edges should be crispy but not burnt.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys going to try a few new things in the weeks to come and maybe participate in some throw downs

Back