Two Brisket points become Pastrami on the 14.5

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I have two of my children visit with their families this week and next. I decided to smoke a couple of brisket points to welcome them.

We picked up some corned beef brisket points (about four pounds each) at Walmart. We rinsed them three times and let them sit in water overnight in the refrigerator. That takes care of the salt cure (failure to do this will result in VERY oversalted brisket). I disposed of the spice package and patted the briskets dry. I used Meathead's recipe for a Pastrami rub (Amazingribs. com). I mixed up two recipes of the spice rub. I applied the spice rub heavily after oiling the briskets with extra virgin olive oil.

Using the tin can minion method with ten briquettes of lit I filled the smoker basket full with unlit original Kingsford. After the smoker hit 200 degrees (pretty dern quick) I put one brisket on each grate using a dry, foiled, water pan. It was no trick at all to reach and hold 275 degrees for the five hour cook. About 4.5 hours into the cook a thunderstorm rolled into my area. Ahead of the storm I removed the briskets about 1/2 hour early and finished in the oven.

Here are the briskets about half way through:

Off the smoker and a quick check:

Out of the oven and on the cutting board for slicing:

It was a hit with EVERYONE! My wife certainly helped with nice sides (home made German potato salad with bacon, cole slaw, and Bushes grill baked beans).

Thanks for listening...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Very nice pics! I picked up 2 corned beef flats and 2 corned beef points yesterday at walmart myself. In the past I've done the same as you as far as soaking in water, but i ended up using the spice packs that came with. Might have to try Meatheads recipe this time around. Thanks for sharing, looks freaking delicious!

I've got a point cut corned beef in the fridge right now. Looking to turn it into pastrami this weekend. Hope mine comes out as good as yours. Nice job.

These look great and I want to try these if I can find a walmart with them. What is a good temp range that you cook these to?

Thanks,
Kg

KeithG;
Time and temperature are only a guide as to when to start checking for tenderness. I normally start checking at about 195 degrees internal. However, these took over 205 degrees before they became tender.

When pulled, they were TENDER but held together with lots of moisture. They sliced well even when hot but do a bit better in slicing very thin when cold.

We had the sliced pastrami again today for a birthday lunch! Truly GOOD stuff!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That really looks great, pulled up Meatheads recipe will be trying it later in the week. Thanks for sharing.

Back