My 26" Performer

Robert, That 26'r Performer is off the hook, I can't wait to see what you cook on that baby.

No bottle opener needed, as most serious beer drinkers can open a beer with a rock, a lighter, a spatula etc.

Keep it clean.

No disrespect Lew.

Robert, That 26'r Performer is off the hook, I can't wait to see what you cook on that baby.

No bottle opener needed, as most serious beer drinkers can open a beer with a rock, a lighter, a spatula etc.

Keep it clean.

No disrespect Lew.
Who said it was needed? If you're going to be a bear, you may as well be a Grizzly Bear.:cool:

Well... I said it was finished, however I'm still looking for a hammered CL Performer to cannibalize for it's gas assist. Am in no hurry.

Man, that things is beautiful. I wouldn't even bother with the gas assist. You've got that killer side burner. Just put a chimney full of charcoal on that bad boy and your coals will be ready in no time.

It's now an XL Touch-N-Go.

PICT5363_zpshtfev7gu.jpg

PICT5368_zpsxmb5clf9.jpg

Picked up a used Performer with Touch-N-Go and a busted plastic table for $100. Replaced the bowl & lid (several Oh S*** moments - you know how that goes :p) on my Performer (went from green to black) & used the gas assist for the XL. Sold what was left for $70.

Getting there..... gotta work on a cover for it.

Last edited:
That's some serious engineering, Robert. I could have fabricated a lot of those parts with the right equipment, but putting them together into a functional unit would have been a stretch for me. You, and forum member, CaseT, have some killer skills.

Robert, that is looking awesome, amazing work! By the way, thanks for sending me the leftover 26" parts from this kettle. I kind of feel like my 26" is famous now!

Absolutely Breathtaking! Do the top handle and bottom front handle really have a function anymore?

Robert, does the bowl just sit in the holders, or is it welded?

Neither - like the factory brackets on a Performer- screws & nuts. Used stainless 3/16 screws... probably should have used 1/4" for the macho look. Plenty strong, though.

PICT4655_zps85cc65ke.jpg

Welded a nut to the back of the bracket (not ss) - made assembly ez. I don't weld stainless - can't afford the wire or gas.

Last edited:
I'm still intrigued by the side burner, have you used it yet and if so how do you like it? The reason I ask is the side burn on my gas grill is really only good for lighting charcoal and warming sauces, and that burner looks like a winner.

I'm still intrigued by the side burner, have you used it yet and if so how do you like it? The reason I ask is the side burn on my gas grill is really only good for lighting charcoal and warming sauces, and that burner looks like a winner.

Someone said it would melt lava & I think it just might be able to do that. It may be a bit overkill, but works just fine. It has two rings which can be lit independently. I've only used the small inner ring to fry or boil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. It puts out a lot of heat - way more than the large power burner on the range in the kitchen. I suppose if I wanted to deep fry a turkey or do a crab boil in a huge pot I'd light both rings. I really like the way the skillet or Dutch oven is nestled into the table - makes things very convenient.

Back