Knife for Brisket Slicing

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I have some really good chefs knives but they aren’t long enough and thin enough to slice brisket.
Now that I’m cooking more brisket I want to find a knife that is great for brisket.
Thanks, Jeff

Pick up dexter- Russell 12” keeps a sharp edge

Attachments

• C126B69E-2C42-413C-A466-376913082B48.jpeg
    C126B69E-2C42-413C-A466-376913082B48.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 15
I prefer the straight blade with “Cullens” over a serrated blade, I found more “tear out” with the serrated blade. I picked up a “Cutluxe” granton edge 14” from Amazon as a daily deal a couple of years ago. It’s really nice.
Sorry Lynn, just my preference. I have the Forschner serrated bread knife for bread and it is fabulous. I had considered the big Dexter scimitar but, the big sweep won’t fit in my blocks. The straight shape is working for me very well.

The Dexter-Russell S140-12GE-PCP is pretty much the standard.

The Dexter is the inexpensive knife that Aaron Franklin recommends in his popular barbecue book. It's been hard to get ahold of in recent months, but here's the link:

this is the tool i use for brisket.
it's nice, i like it.

wusthofBK1.jpg
wusthofBK2.jpg
wusthofBK3.jpg

X50CrMoV15​

- German steel. Very stain resistant. Other than that not much to speak of. The cryptic X50CrMoV15 stands for 0.5% carbon, the other 15% is composed of 14% or 14.5% of Cr, some Mo and V. X in the name is a an indicator for high alloy steel, 0.5% C content means, by definition X50CrMoV15 isn't a high carbon steel, despite of some marketing claims. In fact it has less C content compared to 440C steel. However, it's plenty tough and resists corrosion well and it is a high alloy steel. If you don't want to bother maintaining your knives this is a good choice. Except for the low edge holding ability of course. In the end, you end up sharpening it a lot more often, so low maintenance statement is really arguable. Used by Wusthof, Victorinox and others in their high end knives. Ref - X50CrMoV15 Steel Composition. If you are interested, you can also read up on DIN And EN Steel Standards Naming Conventions.
Taken from this site.

I personally don't like serrated knives for slicing. I like my roast(s) to look "sliced" not "sawn"
Agreed. Don’t use a serrated knife to cut brisket. I use a Henkel PRO S 10 inch chefs knife. Blade is only 2.5 inches tall. No graton edge… added cost and I’m not convinced it helps that much.

I picked up a 14" kullenschliff/granton straight edge slicer a couple of years ago. Ah, here we go....

This has a crazy sharp edge, to the point that I won't let most people even pick it up, and it works really well. Credit to Webstaurantstore's customer service, when I asked about edge guards, they immediately said they don't have a good one for this knife, best bet is to go to Amazon.

I like my roast(s) to look "sliced" not "sawn"
Won't look sawn if used properly. Here's an example of brisket sliced at Franklin BBQ using the Dexter serrated knife when I visited in 2015.

IMG_5857.JPG

Biggest problem is that most people "saw" meat with dull knives. The Dexter is wicked sharp. When a long slicing motion is used, results will be as shown above.

Back