It's raining Skylines!

OK guys, I may be joining the Skyline club soon. I have a line on one for $30. It is going to take some work to arrange it, but I am hoping my sister can pick it up for me. I am still waiting for a reply to my email on CL. Check out the end caps. They look great in the photo. Durawood looks intact and in good shape too. Swing shelf intact as well. I am not worried about the internals.
Wish me luck.

CnxC3Yc.jpg

Hey Bruce I hope you are able to work it out! I think you will enjoy being in the club ;)

That one looks like a very good one. Shouldn’t take too much to make it look almost perfect. Keep it!:cool:

Last edited:
"I love that so many are getting interested in Skylines! I remember when Larry kind of dissed them by referring to their "goofy pin stripe", and at the time I thought I might be a little crazy to like them so much. I guess not! Welcome all to the club"

Things taken out of context can be damning and confusing. I DO understand the appeal of the Skyline (or the Snap On) or any of the commemorative grills Weber has made over the years. And while I am not caught up in that I am sure too there are MANY more people who if trying to get extra $$$ out of one of these would only see "silly pin stripes" and hence not want to pay for it. So I was NOT in ANY way dissing any of these products simply communicating how some folks might view a premium price on a grill that is only "premium" due to a marketing design not purely by function. If you Skyline fanatics took it as "dissing" I apologize. Not he the intent here.

Well, I emailed the guy last night and still haven't heard back. Such is the life of Craigslist, I guess.

Anyway, I don't know if it would be a keeper or maybe a grill I would fix up and put out there for a premium price and just let it sit until the right guy came along. In the mean time, it would be a nice show piece.

Just talked to the guy. Said someone else was supposed to stop by last night but didn't and then says they will stop by this afternoon. My sister can't get there until this evening, so unless the guy no-shows again, I am going to loose out on this Skyline.

"I love that so many are getting interested in Skylines! I remember when Larry kind of dissed them by referring to their "goofy pin stripe", and at the time I thought I might be a little crazy to like them so much. I guess not! Welcome all to the club"

Things taken out of context can be damning and confusing. I DO understand the appeal of the Skyline (or the Snap On) or any of the commemorative grills Weber has made over the years. And while I am not caught up in that I am sure too there are MANY more people who if trying to get extra $$$ out of one of these would only see "silly pin stripes" and hence not want to pay for it. So I was NOT in ANY way dissing any of these products simply communicating how some folks might view a premium price on a grill that is only "premium" due to a marketing design not purely by function. If you Skyline fanatics took it as "dissing" I apologize. Not he the intent here.

Larry,
I wasn’t meaning to imply that your comment was in any way offensive. Maybe “dissing” was the wrong word. Anyway, I just thought it was funny that the very thing I liked about these grills was of no appeal to you. It is all what makes the world go around! I have noticed it, too, about wood slats where a number have commented about trying for very clear wood and using little or no tint stain. They do look very nice, but for me I love to see wood with grain and even a knot or two and prefer some color to bring that out. But it is all ok:D! Same with different views on the merits of Skylines or any other unusual Weber variations.

Jon

Grill is still there. Other guy must have no showed again. Arranging now with my sister to go pick it up. But nothing is a done deal until you have it loaded up and are driving away.

Hey there ya go. My wife was almost gonna head there this coming week(end) for the MN state fair (I always tease her and tell her it's 3 dead pigs and tractor that won't start). Anyway she was going to head there to the fair with our friends who live there. She's from Richfield. Where is your sister at? I actually used to work there when I was a Delta Flight Attendant. I was based at MSP

Sister live in up in Golden Valley. NW side, I guess. Grill is on South side though. Traffic shouldn't be too bad on a Sunday afternoon for her though. She said she would call me when she picks it up.

The Skyline is at my sisters. It is in her Honda CRV and she doesn't have anyone to help her unload/load it, so she is going to drive around with it until next weekend and she can drop it off at my parents house. I will have to meet her there. They live about halfway. The way she drives, the grill is still a long ways from sitting in my driveway, but I am closer than I was by a mile. She said the grill is in good shape and the flavo bars seem to be OK but the stamped steel grates were in good shape she said. I don't know if I can trust her opinion on grills however. I just hope the hood is in good shape.
So, the saga continues. :)

Bruce,

That is GREAT! Consider this your official welcome to our Skyline users group:rolleyes:. Look forward to seeing it up close. It is nice to have a sister who is willing to help out even with getting an old grill:eek:.

You are right about that Jon. I would have missed out otherwise. I may go pick it up this week in Minneapolis instead of waiting until we meet at my folks. There is also a guy up there that has a Silver C mostly complete with some other weber parts and he is willing to part with it all for $50. I may make a grill run out of it.

You are right about that Jon. I would have missed out otherwise. I may go pick it up this week in Minneapolis instead of waiting until we meet at my folks. There is also a guy up there that has a Silver C mostly complete with some other weber parts and he is willing to part with it all for $50. I may make a grill run out of it.

Keep us updated once the Skyline makes it home to your house. I love the look of those things. The color with the handle look great.
I am hoping you have a truck to be hauling two grills. If not you have to send me pictures of the load. The guy I purchased my grill from was a little perplexed when I pulled up in a maxda5 van! Haha Pulled the lid, laid the seats down, fit just fine!

Yah, I have a full size Chevy pickup. I could fit three or four easily. I also have a 5'x8' trailer.

I am really torn about what to do with the grill once I get it fixed up. I don't see myself giving up my blue head, but the skyline is just so unique. I also was looking at some photos of a black head I did early this spring and it looked so nice in the pictures. I just had gotten a little tired of them because last year, it seemed like that and the gray/green lid was about all I did all year. But, this year, I only did two black lids.

I am afraid I may be a two grill guy. Maybe I will just fix it up and slap $400 on it and let it ride Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist until some one just has to have it.

Last edited:

Back