It's raining Skylines!

Not sure, but I was being honest I simply clocked on the link and there was things being done that I am sure had to hurt LOL

After I was done painting a couple frames then the rain came down something fierce.

At a standstill, and sitting dry under the carport I decided to strip the fire box down.
With nothing more than these basic tools it was bare....

pVsqJfP.jpg

Must be the American made tools :rolleyes:

TCd4z8d.jpg

Drip Rail free.

isw1Rde.jpg

Burner Tubes screws removed as well.

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff, those burner tube screws were NOT supposed to be removed. Normally, they just break off if you try, but there are there simply as guides. Then are not designed to be tightened down to hold the burners in. The burners should not be tightened down. But, as long as you didn't snap them off, no harm no foul.

Bruce,
While everyone says that about the burner tubes they are threaded screws after all and I have done several grills now and took out all of them without issue.

I replace them with stainless steel screws like I do with all the grills I do.

Besides, I am Anal and old screws bug me.

Jeff

Last edited:
Sounds good Jeff. I was told that by Weber C/S as well. But, if you can get them out without issue, Go for it. I just know I have snapped them off myself and don't want to deal with that again.

Sounds good Jeff. I was told that by Weber C/S as well. But, if you can get them out without issue, Go for it. I just know I have snapped them off myself and don't want to deal with that again.

Weber does sell replacement screws, but the experience Bruce (and me and many others) have had with them breaking off probably lead to them advising against removal. So, I have gone your route, Bruce, but I have had a couple so corroded that there isn’t much of a guide left:(!

Bruce,
While everyone says that about the burner tubes they are threaded screws after all and I have done several grills now and took out all of them without issue.

I replace them with stainless steel screws like I do with all the grills I do.

Besides, I am Anal and old screws bug me.

Jeff

Nothing wrong with being Anal as I am also as my wife likes to point out. Good for you it would terrify me to even try to removes those but I get the point of the stainless replacements. I was fortunate with my 1000 they were in really good shape.

If I thought I could easily replace those screws on my two grills I would do it too.

Has anyone ever had those screws corrode badly enough that they no longer function well enough to align the burner tubes?

No, all you need really is a nub there to align the tubes. The screw with washer helps hold it in place if the grill gets jarred or bumped hard however. I suppose the screws could just rot off, but I haven't seen that yet without someone twisting them off.

No, all you need really is a nub there to align the tubes. The screw with washer helps hold it in place if the grill gets jarred or bumped hard however. I suppose the screws could just rot off, but I haven't seen that yet without someone twisting them off.

Thanks Bruce. I plan on trying to keep my 2 grills going indefinitely. One less thing to worry about LOL.

The screw heads can completely rot off. I simply made little aluminum brackets out of angle stock drilled through the cook box and installed small stainless steel screws and nuts to hold the angle piece in place. It works way better than the screw Weber installs and will never rot away being made of aluminum stock and fastened with stainless

Interesting grill!

Never seen the wire side basket before. A day's soak in vinegar will remove the rust.

That's the signature piece on any Skyline 3-burner.

I am a bit amused by the interest in Skylines in general. I picked one up last year for parts and parted it out. Its hood and wire basket was moved to a Spirit 700/900 frame was upgraded with a Genesis manifold and sold:

43167158094_edab30f6fd_b.jpg

Jeff, why is that wire basket kind of droopy?

The screw heads can completely rot off. I simply made little aluminum brackets out of angle stock drilled through the cook box and installed small stainless steel screws and nuts to hold the angle piece in place. It works way better than the screw Weber installs and will never rot away being made of aluminum stock and fastened with stainless

Good to know. Hopefully I won't have to go that route.

Exactly what I did with a flipper. Wish I would have taken a pic of it before I sold it.

That's the signature piece on any Skyline 3-burner.

I am a bit amused by the interest in Skylines in general. I picked one up last year for parts and parted it out. Its hood and wire basket was moved to a Spirit 700/900 frame was upgraded with a Genesis manifold and sold:

I would say there are two reasons: (1) For those with ties to Chicago (or maybe just Sears) these are a neat and historical tribute. (2) If you happen to like brunettes (black hood grills;)) this was an unusual take on that giving that basic black some spizaz.

Since I fall firmly in both categories, the Skyline was my dream grill. I finally got my oak boards planed and cut. I bought a couple more small cans of stain and hope to finally choose and get my 36 slats sanded, stained and triple coat varnished with spar urethane; then, at last, it will be finished:rolleyes:!

I would say there are two reasons: (1) For those with ties to Chicago (or maybe just Sears) these are a neat and historical tribute. (2) If you happen to like brunettes (black hood grills;)) this was an unusual take on that giving that basic black some spizaz.

Since I fall firmly in both categories, the Skyline was my dream grill. I finally got my oak boards planed and cut. I bought a couple more small cans of stain and hope to finally choose and get my 36 slats sanded, stained and triple coat varnished with spar urethane; then, at last, it will be finished:rolleyes:!

Looking forward to seeing the final pictures

Same here Jon. Lived in the burbs of Chicago (Franklin Park) growing up. Worked at Sears part time when I retired in Arizona for a couple of years until my SS started. Now I've got all the worker Bees I need to cook with so my Skyline will be the patio queen and used for special occasions just to show it off.

If it was near me, I would offer $50. But it is probably worth somewhere between $50 and $100. It looks to be complete, except, I have no idea what is going on with the bottom rack.

Back