It's raining Skylines!

Yah, I have a full size Chevy pickup. I could fit three or four easily. I also have a 5'x8' trailer.

I am really torn about what to do with the grill once I get it fixed up. I don't see myself giving up my blue head, but the skyline is just so unique. I also was looking at some photos of a black head I did early this spring and it looked so nice in the pictures. I just had gotten a little tired of them because last year, it seemed like that and the gray/green lid was about all I did all year. But, this year, I only did two black lids.

I am afraid I may be a two grill guy. Maybe I will just fix it up and slap $400 on it and let it ride Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist until some one just has to have it.

Only 2?! You really need to step up that game Bruce. You need one for different days of the week and all

Gee, I have not been a two grill guy in forty years! They all have their strong points and practice on all units keeps my skills better tuned up.

Yah, I have a Q100, Q140, Q200, and my Genesis 1000. I have more than two really. I just haven't found a situation where I wished I had more grill space or capability for that matter. Until two years ago, before I got my Redhead 1000, I did virtually all my cooking on a Q100.

I just don't want to take up the space for another full size grill.

But yah, I was thinking that even if the Skyline sat around a while, it would certainly be a good selling tool. I have had a lot of people ask me about my driveway full of grills and I tell them I rehabb them. I have plenty of "Before" examples, but I never seem to have a fresh rehab sitting around for them to see the results. I think most of them just figure I scrape the gunk out and resell them. It would be nice to be able to say "And this is what these grills will look like when I finish them".

Bruce,

That is actually a pretty good plan and a way to get the best of both worlds;).

Maybe I will tell my wife that I need to have a “demo” on our deck, of course along with two actual cooking grills :rolleyes:

Well, the guy sold the grill/parts so I won't be picking them up. I really didn't need the Silver C sitting in my driveway right now, but it looked like it was in good shape. And the parts included and extra deep cook box with decent flavo bars and good looking CI grates. Well worth the $50 I had offered.

Anyway, I should lay my hands on the Skyline Wednesday evening when I drive up to pick it up from my sister.

I have the skyline home. It is still in my truck in the drive way. A quick inspect says the lid is in great shape. I think the end caps are in great shape as well. That led me to believe the grill was sheltered and well taken care of. However, it has the left side firebox bolt cancer in the frame and the drip pan rails look shot. Otherwise, the tables, basket, wire bottom and durawood all look intact and in good shape. I still have to do a closer inspection, especially on the z brackets, but I stoked with this grill. With 4 other Genny 1000's sitting in the driveway, I will be able to replace any bad parts. The burners are shot and the cooking grates and flavo bars are in decent shape, but will probably be replaced with the buners with new shiny SS parts.

I will do a more thorough inspection tomorrow with pictures.

Well, After grinding out a Genny 1000 cookbox, I took some time to take some before photos of my Skyline:

It looks complete but I see two disturbing flaws. First, it has the frame rot where the cook box bolts to the frame on the left side. I wont know the extent until I take it apart. Second, the lid has the oxidation problem. I couldn't see it until I did a quick clean on it. You can see it in the last picture. Neither are deal breakers though. I have spare Genny 1000 frames, but the oxidization, I will just have to deal with. The lid is in otherwise great shape. The end caps look like a good cleaning and repainting with no grinding will be the best way to go on them. The burners are shot, the flavorizer bars are SS but starting to deteriorate along the bottom edges. The grates are stamped porcelain coated steel and starting to rot along the bottom edges also. I will probably pull all of it out and replace it with shiny SS aftermarket parts. I already have a set of Flavo bars.

I plan to do a before and after once I get it done (probably October). I will dedicate a new thread to that when I get it done.

T54JWQm.jpg

hOHCdO1.jpg

O2GwNpj.jpg

zPR7C33.jpg

nGf1yQa.jpg

39crgvN.jpg

1WOabW6.jpg

RcSMiQU.jpg

Gs26t3h.jpg

gqrYeal.jpg

Here are the last 4. In the last photo, you can see the hood oxidization after I did a quick clean up on it.

0n0uKmP.jpg

CvuklTU.jpg

HqcnsQw.jpg

RvH5yQ3.jpg

nul4dZC.jpg

Bruce,
Mine is about the same. I know the white dot fade is a problem with some black hoods. Maybe worse with Skylines. To me it is just like JR Ewing used say to his side girlfriends about his wife Sue Ellen: “Just a minor inconvenience!” Worth it to have this special grill. I have heard that if you lightly coat with Pam that a lot of the fade will temporarily disappear. Of course even if that works you will have to reapply and hope it doesn’t burn on. Don’t totally laugh because it did wonders on two of my old black kettles. I have a faded old red kettle in the pipeline and when I wiped just a small spot I was shocked at the deep dark red finish it revealed.

Anyway, I hope you wind up keeping this grill:eek:!

Well it's finally cooling off a little bit and I got the skyline torn down. Everything except the grates are in great condition, not a speck of rust anywhere. It came apart with little effort. I was going to get a set of RCs SS grates but found at a garage sale a set of brand new in the box Weber SS grates for $10 so those will work.
Going to get the frame cleaned up and painted hopefully tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
I'll post a new thread as I get going.

Last edited:
I know many have vigorously discussed the science of the "fade" in these Skyline threads. BUT - When nobody is looking, just rub a little PAM spray onto the "faded" area. It makes it go away for awhile and brings great joy.

Day One:
EJwldwX.jpg

After PAM
83UXFYJ.jpg

Yah, it is like oxidized head lights. If you rub some water or oil on them, they look great until it dries away. When I wiped it with windex, it looked awesome until it dried away five seconds later.
The haze is not a huge deal and like you said, a Skyline is hard enough to find, that finding one without a bit of haze is like finding a 68 Camero sitting in barn with 240 miles on it.

Well, it’s a Camaro not a camero so, I won’t send any pictures,But there’s this really big bridge north of here that I might be convinced to sell.....

Sorry boys, going a little off the track.

Just sold my latest Genesis 1000. I have a choice between a Silver C and my Skyline for rehabbing next. Which should I choose. I would like to get one more grill rehabbed and sold before the end of the season and I am not sure I will have the time for both. If I do the Skyline, I plan to drop a $350 to $400 price tag on it and let it sit until someone bites. The Silver C would be more reasonably priced ($275 or so) and would be easier to sell this fall.
I am torn between practical and impulse. The Silver C sounds like the conservative choice, but I wouldn't mind having the Skyline sitting around in my garage all winter long. Just so I could could admire it before someone bites on it.

Which one is next boys??? :confused:

Back