Invitation to WSM Smoke Day - May 28, 2022

Looking forward to it. I’ll be smoking some lamb and beef, hoping to make pulled beef and lamb for some tacos. Can’t wait!

Will not be smoking this smoke day but, will have at least three grills working for the John Wayne birthday party. Expecting maybe 12-14 folks!
Edit- misspelled JW‘s last name!

Last edited:
Just pulled all the meats out of the freezer and into the frig for the defrost. Going to try to cook all my proteins for the long weekend on Saturday. Here is the menu.
Pork steaks and bbq chicken thighs on Saturday.
Chicken and Beef Birria tacos on Sunday.
Chicken and Beef Empanadas on Monday.
Tinga tacos and enchiladas on Tuesday.
Leave for a week's vacation on Wednesday Morning.
Let's Go!

Just pulled all the meats out of the freezer and into the frig for the defrost. Going to try to cook all my proteins for the long weekend on Saturday. Here is the menu.
Let's Go!
Living your best life bro!!

Let's Go!
The weather’s not gonna be great this weekend in PA but the food will be!

Cooking four butts this Saturday. Several pounds will go with me to Florida the following weekend, several pounds will be going to my father in law for father's day. The rest will be eaten immediately or sequestered in the freezer for a rainy day.

Burgers and corn with the family Sat and short ribs and beans on Sunday. Will cook ribs on 14 WSM cause it’s WSM day. E6 will have Sunday off. Beans on lower rack to catch drippage from the ribs on the top rack.
Update 5/28
1653766549886.jpeg
Home ground chuck for burgers, watermelon fries, corn from the farmers market.

Last edited:
Decided to get a couple of tri-tips and use the slow recipe off the main site. Hoping Costco has some available.

Will be the inaugural smoke of my Billows.

Following J Hasselberger's (how do you add a "call out" in TVWB?) description, I wanted to try his tomahawk steak ( ala https://tvwbb.com/threads/smoke-it-then-sear-it.91173/ ), but I wasn't able to get one short notice. So second best, I bought a nice ribeye roast and will give it a stab for WSM Smoke Day on my 14.5. My sister is coming up for the event, so I also got some baby backs for her arrival tomorrow afternoon. Both days we're going to fill the WSM racks with sausage for later freezing, probably some wings and jalapeno poppers and who knows what else. My Genesis is more than able to help with finishing anything or taking on any excess the 14.5 can't handle -- not afraid of that at all. Tomatoes, potatoes, corn on the cob are all in the offing. Come rain or shine, I'm prepared on my covered grill deck and looking forward to good WSM day(s).

Some of that sausage, (oops, get it out of the freezer right now), will be cut up for reworking at another party on Labor Day itself. That one I just need to attend, bring some goodies and enjoy! So yes, good long weekend coming!

Here's my menu:

Aldi had brisket flats today - so I picked up one of those. I am definitely going to make some Texas thin sauce.

Joan's blue cheese cole slaw-

Tim's broccoli gratin-
2lbs of broccoli, steamed. I use a bamboo steamer in my wok. In a saucepan, make a bechamel sauce. I used equal parts butter and flour, about 3 Tbs each. Pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. I then add 1/4 C shredded cheddar. Whisk continually. Add more milk as needed. Place steamed broccoli in a baking dish, add 1/2 C shredded cheddar on top, then all of the sauce. Top with remaining 1/4 C cheddar. Toast about 1/2 C panko bread crumbs in 2 Tbsp butter and top the whole thing with the crumbs.
Bake indirect on grill for about 30 minutes, until golden.

Timothy's Quick lemon pie-
1-prefab shell (graham, shortbread, nut, whatever)
1-8 oz. Block of cream cheese
1-can sweetened condensed milk
juice of 2 lemons (Zest of one, maybe both, yet to be determined)
1-tsp. Vanilla extract
I blitz everything but the shell in the Cuisinart until smooth, scrape the stuff into the shell and put it in the fridge for a few hours.

I better start freezer diving as smoke day is only a couple hours away.
No shops around. And will only get to town on Monday (that's a 4 hour one-way trip).
So, I think chicken... Maybe lemongrass-turmeric chicken on the spit. Drip pan spicy pumpkin?
And rice. Or flat bread. Or

Here's my menu:

Aldi had brisket flats today - so I picked up one of those. I am definitely going to make some Texas thin sauce.

Joan's blue cheese cole slaw-

Tim's broccoli gratin-
2lbs of broccoli, steamed. I use a bamboo steamer in my wok. In a saucepan, make a bechamel sauce. I used equal parts butter and flour, about 3 Tbs each. Pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. I then add 1/4 C shredded cheddar. Whisk continually. Add more milk as needed. Place steamed broccoli in a baking dish, add 1/2 C shredded cheddar on top, then all of the sauce. Top with remaining 1/4 C cheddar. Toast about 1/2 C panko bread crumbs in 2 Tbsp butter and top the whole thing with the crumbs.

Timothy's Quick lemon pie-
1-prefab shell (graham, shortbread, nut, whatever)
1-8 oz. Block of cream cheese
1-can sweetened condensed milk
juice of 2 lemons (Zest of one, maybe both, yet to be determined)
1-tsp. Vanilla extract
I blitz everything but the shell in the Cuisinart until smooth, scrape the stuff into the shell and put it in the fridge for a few hours.
Andy, use the zest of one lemon, I used zest of half and it was better, one would be just enough two might be a bit too much. Doing one lemon and one lime this weekend!

Tim's broccoli gratin-
Andy,
I love this dish and give Tim full credit for it. I see that you are the last post of the thread where Tim originally posted it, but I stilled I wanted to make sure you saw here where he and I communicated and realized he left out the original 1 1/2 cup milk amount.

Back