Smoke it - Then Sear It

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
For a Mother's Day treat, I picked up a Prime 3-pound, 3-inch bone-in Cowboy Ribeye. I've always use a kettle to reverse sear thick ribeyes, with a couple of baskets on one side, using the cool side to bring the meat up to about 110 internal, then searing it on the hot side.

This time, I used the WSM to do the low-temp portion of the cook. About an hour at 225 did the trick with a medium chunk of pecan for good luck. The steak measured a nice 110° all across. Did the sear on the kettle. The result was pretty great.

Jeff

Love the built-in handle on a Cowboy steak
Untitled by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

The crust was about 1/8" thick and the rest was a nice medium rare.
3” ribeye by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Beautiful! For a real change of taste sensation on a nice piece of beef try using mesquite (not heavy very lightly) or cherry. I have done that for people and they cannot believe that all the meat is seasoned with is S&P. They swear it's more and absolutely love it. You just don't want to put (mesquite especially) smoke on so thick you actually taste it

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
For a Mother's Day treat, I picked up a Prime 3-pound, 3-inch bone-in Cowboy Ribeye. I've always use a kettle to reverse sear thick ribeyes, with a couple of baskets on one side, using the cool side to bring the meat up to about 110 internal, then searing it on the hot side.

This time, I used the WSM to do the low-temp portion of the cook. About an hour at 225 did the trick with a medium chunk of pecan for good luck. The steak measured a nice 110° all across. Did the sear on the kettle. The result was pretty great.

Jeff

Love the built-in handle on a Cowboy steak
Untitled by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

The crust was about 1/8" thick and the rest was a nice medium rare.
3” ribeye by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr
That looks amazing Jeff!

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
That is a perfect cook right there!
Don't know why I didn't think of doing the low-temp phase on the WSM until now, but I'm never going back. It was a simple and foolproof cook. It was dry-brined with kosher salt for about 30 hours, which I'm sure helped. I read a tip from Meathead a while back that suggested resting the steak for a few minutes after the low-temp stage and then blotting off all the moisture before applying a thin coat of vegetable oil and pepper before the sear. Definitely works.

Jeff

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
Beautiful! For a real change of taste sensation on a nice piece of beef try using mesquite (not heavy very lightly) or cherry. I have done that for people and they cannot believe that all the meat is seasoned with is S&P. They swear it's more and absolutely love it. You just don't want to put (mesquite especially) smoke on so thick you actually taste it
I believe that I have some mesquite, so I'll try that. It was a fairly small chunk of pecan that I used for the same reason you say - a light, not thick smokiness. Incidentally, there was just enough left over to make a steak quesadilla for lunch the next day. I'm definitely doing that again!

Jeff

Rick P

TVWBB Super Fan
Don't know why I didn't think of doing the low-temp phase on the WSM until now, but I'm never going back. It was a simple and foolproof cook. It was dry-brined with kosher salt for about 30 hours, which I'm sure helped. I read a tip from Meathead a while back that suggested resting the steak for a few minutes after the low-temp stage and then blotting off all the moisture before applying a thin coat of vegetable oil and pepper before the sear. Definitely works.

Jeff
Great job! That looks fan-damn-tastic!
I do something similiar, on the kettle with the Slow n Sear and Grillgrates. I let it smoke low and slow and, while the steak rests, open the vents and get the heat to warp 10 and finish it off.

DanHoo

TVWBB Emerald Member
I was doing mesquite and oak for a while with beef, but pecan is my current favorite for shorter duration beef smokes like Tri Tip and steak.

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Wizard
I keep coming back to take a look.........and I am starving as well..........that cut pic looks so tasty.....
I have these steaks in my freezer...2 left, I don't usually smoke low n slow, usually hotter until that 110 and then incinerate it at the end.
They never look as good as yours does.......will have to try harder.