Simple steak dinner

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Guru
Hadn't done beef in a while, so I cooked a ribeye over JD lump. Kept it super simple. Aired it out with s+p in the fridge for a few hours. That's all.
20220323_231450.jpg

Baked spud.
20220323_231522.jpg

Best part was the broccoli gratin...delish.
20220323_230659.jpg

Some tunes.
Screenshot_20220324-112413_Apple Music.jpg

Despite having slightly overcooked the ribeye, all was good. Paired with a couple of Old Fashioneds.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Sure thing. it was pretty basic. Shred about 1 cup of cheese beforehand. I used aged cheddar.

2lbs of broccoli, steamed. I use a bamboo steamer in my wok. In a saucepan, make a bechamel sauce. I used equal parts butter and flour, about 3 Tbs each. Pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. I then add 1/4 C shredded cheddar. Whisk continually. Add more milk as needed. Place steamed broccoli in a baking dish, add 1/2 C shredded cheddar on top, then all of the sauce. Top with remaining 1/4 C cheddar. Toast about 1/2 C panko bread crumbs in 2 Tbsp butter and top the whole thing with the crumbs.

Bake indirect on grill for about 30 minutes, until golden.

In a saucepan, make a bechamel sauce. I used equal parts butter and flour, about 3 Tbs each. Pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. I then add 1/4 C shredded cheddar. Whisk continually. Add more milk as needed. Place steamed broccoli in a baking dish, add 1/2 C shredded cheddar on top, then all of the sauce. Top with remaining 1/4 C cheddar. Toast about 1/2 C panko bread crumbs in 2 Tbsp butter and top the whole thing with the crumbs.

Bake indirect on grill for about 30 minutes, until golden.
Tim,
I ask because I plan on making this tomorrow, you say add more milk as needed, but that is the first time you mention needing milk. Is there an amount of milk that you add with the cheese into the sauce?

Last edited:
Tim,
I made your broccoli gratin last night and, as you shared, it stole the show. It was really really good. For the last few weeks I have been craving broccoli with cheese sauce like when I was a kid and I have been thinking I have to find a way to make that but better. Then I saw this post and your dish and I had to try it. Real deal recipe, and exactly what I was craving/looking for. This will be made again and soon. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
Here is before it went on and then plated with some other stuff...

The only thing I did not do was toast the panko.
IMG_20220327_164401255.jpg

I went back for seconds and thirds as did other of the broccoli dish!
IMG_20220327_175225396.jpg

Glad you liked it, Michael. Yours looks outstanding. Good call with the panko.

I did it again last night but with cauliflower instead. Also good.

Back