Giving up your gasser?

Reason #5,3259 I love living in the midwest.

Ben -- I see that my Epic Pass includes a ski area located in Indiana. Paoli Peaks with a 300 foot (!!) vertical drop. I might have to check that out sometime. My aging legs get pretty tired these days skiing at Vail (3,450 vertical) and Breckenridge (3,400 vertical). And I'm guessing the PP lodge serves up a great pork tenderloin sandwich too. ;)

Hoosier VP Pence, by the way, is out here this week. I didn't know he was a skier.

Happy New Year!

when I had both the gasser and kettle the gasser sat many weekends unused, it was for convenience only during the week...eventually i gave it home to someone I knew would use it instead of watching it rust in the rain.

Never, I got rid of the 22" WSM first.
The SS performer is the workhorse around here, then the East / West gasser and then the 26R
when I need more room.

Due to fire season here in CA, we got a genesis.

Out here in the West, the gasser is becoming the must-have and charcoal the nice-to-have. Probably not going to be changing any time soon.
Here in the Arizona mountains we've had 5-6 month bans on charcoal in the summer for the last four years. Like you said it's not going to change anytime soon.

Reason #5,3259 I love living in the midwest.

Ben -- I see that my Epic Pass includes a ski area located in Indiana. Paoli Peaks with a 300 foot (!!) vertical drop. I might have to check that out sometime. My aging legs get pretty tired these days skiing at Vail (3,450 vertical) and Breckenridge (3,400 vertical). And I'm guessing the PP lodge serves up a great pork tenderloin sandwich too. ;)

Hoosier VP Pence, by the way, is out here this week. I didn't know he was a skier.

Happy New Year!
Jim, I love to visit Colorado! I have family in Gunnison, some of the most beatiful land on earth!

When the frame on my Genesis silver C rotted out I never replaced it. I do like having the Q100 for quickies. I rely now on my kettles and new PK360. If I were ever to get another gasser, I'd get the larger Q on a stand.

The other advantage of a gasser is using it as an oven during the summer. I roast veggies, make pizzas, bake bread, etc.
Thread resurrection time.

I started using my gasser as an oven this summer due to all the heat (didn't want to put anymore heat in the house than I had to) and so far, it's been working great. I set the rear burner to just a touch over medium and it gives me right at 350. I might just start using it for that all year round.

Thread resurrection time.

I started using my gasser as an oven this summer due to all the heat (didn't want to put anymore heat in the house than I had to) and so far, it's been working great. I set the rear burner to just a touch over medium and it gives me right at 350. I might just start using it for that all year round.
I’ve been doing that too, also, I have used it for a chafing table when I have big feasts, set things on there to keep them hot as kind of a buffet. Works really well when, I have a bunch of people for a feast. I suppose I could do that with a ranch kettle…

I have a Genesis ll E330 , a trusty Genesis Gold, and a WSM 14.5. Don't need anything else.

About 8 or 9 years ago, the wife gave me a pellet grill for my birthday. I thought of giving up my NG grill but decided the large rotisserie and side burner made it worth keeping. A couple of years later I had a few friends over for a BBQ. I was doing a tri-tip, chicken and ribs. When I went to fire up the pellet pooper, I discovered the auger was seized up (the pellets in it got wet during a thunderstorm). Ended up firing up the gasser. Cooked everything on it and, unbelievably, all 3 meats were done within about 10 minutes. I've since added an electric smoker, and 2 kettles, one with a Santa Maria attachment w/rotisserie, and already had 2 large propane burners. I still feel the gasser is worth keeping even though the cover seldom comes off of it.
You just never know when redundancy will pay off

Man, I would hate to be without my Genesis II 340 LX gas grill. I could get by with a smaller one but I use the gasser as my outdoor oven like others here do. I sold my perfect gas grill, a Weber E-210 SS, to my neighbor just before construction started on the sunroom and patio. That was such a nice gill and took up very little room with the fold down side shelves. It was just the right size for the wife and I and with two burners it was great for indirect cooks. The stainless steel grates were awesome.

I kept my Genesis for a few extra years thinking of all the “what if” scenarios.

Got rid of it in 2022 after I decided using it 3 times a year didn’t justify the patio space. I don’t miss it.

Yes like many here, Charcoal is the No.1 method but having a Gasser as a standby isn't a bad solution. Being from Eastern part of Australia (Sydney) in the middle of Summer we have many Fire-ban days, no solid fuel even pellets can be used so that only leaves cooking inside (boring) or on a gas grill outside (not so boring).
I did sell my Weber Q320 a couple of years ago because I thought I was going to live in an apartment with no balcony and was also ready to sell my kettles too but that never eventuated....thank Heavens, so 2 years later and found this really nice regional town with fair house prices and bought a house in a nice area, so I'll probably buy another gasser of some sort....probably another Q as I've owned 3 before, I know they are great.

Back