Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

Dave, I would have loved to see the end result on the Z brackets. Specifically how did you bend them?

I bought the larger metal brake that Harbour Freight sells on one of their 25% of specials.
I bought the smaller one first, but returned it for the larger one. Well worth the extra $$.
It has already paid for itself this year. I have used it to make some brackets, and also
to make the utility trays that are always missing or rusted out on the SSP's.

Hmmmm, interesting. I have a cheap table saw. But, I never knew you could put a metal cutting blade on them. That option may come in handy at some point in the future.

Yes, changing out the blades can be a bit of a pain but it'd definitely the best way to go. There are limits to what metals you can cut, but it goes through aluminum just like cutting wood.

I bought the larger metal brake that Harbour Freight sells on one of their 25% of specials.
I bought the smaller one first, but returned it for the larger one. Well worth the extra $$.
It has already paid for itself this year. I have used it to make some brackets, and also
to make the utility trays that are always missing or rusted out on the SSP's.

Dave: what kind of material are you using to make the Z brakets? Where did you source it?

ALso, what is an SSP?

Had a few hours to work on the grill this weekend.
01.jpg

Got the front panel painted and installed. I also ended up re-painting the fire box with flat high temp rustoleum.

02.jpg

Finally go to install the newly refurbished tank scale.

03.jpg

Installed the burner tubes, new igniter, and valve bracket thanks to Jon!
Hoping to test them all out tonight.

I like the new panel, I have a cousin in law that is a steel guy, I might need to get the dimensions from you for one of those Joel. I seeem to be talking myself into tearing down the Genny and re doing some parts that I blew off when I did the box. I still need to re paint the endcaps now, I’m seeing the little tricks and tweaks that might make me really be happy with the 20 dollar purchase!

Joel,
Your grill, like your garage, is turning out to be a testament to your attention to detail and esthetics. Keep the pictures coming! Glad I could help in some small way.

Dave: what kind of material are you using to make the Z brakets? Where did you source it?

I buy mine at a local place - Metal By The Foot http://www.metalbythefoot.com/
I used 20 gauge stainless for my projects this summer.
I buy as much hardware, square tube stock, and other items such as
stainless steel rods for axles as I can at Grainger. My son works there
and I can get a decent discount.

You are doing a great job. Can't wait to see it completed.

Joel,
Your grill, like your garage, is turning out to be a testament to your attention to detail and esthetics. Keep the pictures coming! Glad I could help in some small way.

Thanks guys! I have a 2 year old daughter so sometimes the progress can be a little slow, but I like to celebrate the small victories.

You are doing a great job. Can't wait to see it completed.

I like the new panel, I have a cousin in law that is a steel guy, I might need to get the dimensions from you for one of those Joel. I seeem to be talking myself into tearing down the Genny and re doing some parts that I blew off when I did the box. I still need to re paint the endcaps now, I’m seeing the little tricks and tweaks that might make me really be happy with the 20 dollar purchase!

Tim, I'd be happy to scan my template and write the dimensions, although all mine were just guesses made from looking at photos. Maybe the best option would be to put in in a PDF that could be printed out?

Success!! All the valves, burner tubes and regulator seem to be in good working condition.
04.jpg

I'm embarrassed to say I only thought to check the front burner when I went to purchase it. Glad to know I won't need to replace all this stuff.
I'm also guessing this thing hasn't had a functioning igniter in a LONG time.

Igniters can be had for under $10 on amazon. Tubes are usually about $20 for the set as well. Your tubes look like they are salvageable however. But, there are a couple spots that need cleanup on them. It looks like the flames are skipping some holes, especially on the middle burner. If you haven't yet, take a wire brush or even angle grinder and wire cup brush to them and that should clean them up completely. If not, you might have to open up each individual hole.

As promised, here is printable version of the template I used for the front cover

front-cover-template.jpg

The PDF that will print out the exact size can be downloaded HERE

You will need to print on two pieces of paper or one 11 x 17 if you have the means

The final piece can be cut from an 11.5" x 4.25" scrap of metal, I suggest aluminum

The mounting holes are 5/16 I believe. The ones on the template are 1/8 to be used as pilots

Good luck!

Attachments

• front-cover-template.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Joel is making me realize that I need to revisit where I see the finish line with the restore I started! There will be a possible restart of my whole thought process when beginning one next time. I have several details which I now see I’ve passed over on my Maroon Genny!
And I thought it was just plain down to cooking time! No, now I have to tear down the scale, clean and install new warning signage, install the above mentioned disguise plate, probably will end up tearing the whole thing down and repainting the frame instead of being satisfied with the spot work I did last summer!
I might have to quit reading things here!
Nah, that’d be boring!
All that chatter and I forgot to THANK Joel for sending the pattern to me, thank you Joel!

Back