Finally Made Some Pastrami

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Been talking about doing a pastrami for over a year now and finally got to it.
After St. Pats day I picked four corn beefs on clearance two brisket flats and two top rounds.
I decided to do one of the flats.

Used Chris’s recipe Quick Pastrami Smoked Corned Beef Brisket in the Virtual Weber Bullet section.
The only change I made was I soaked the brisket for six hours changing the water every two hours before soaking it overnight.

Cooked it on the Camp Chef at 250 until it hit 165 then foiled it and took it off at 195 and into a cooler for two hours. Total time on the grill a little over 5 hours.
While the Pastrami rested I made dressing I found for the sandwich. Using mayo, sweet pickle juice, sweet pickle relish, lemon juice and horseradish cream.

Made up the sammies and I must admit I was impressed with the way the pastrami turned out, tender and not too salty and great flavor.
along with some home fries it was a great meal.

I will for sure be doing this again.

101_6458.JPG

101_6467.JPG

101_6471.JPG

101_6474.JPG

101_6476.JPG

101_6478.JPG

101_6481.JPG

101_6486.JPG

101_6487.JPG

101_6493.JPG

Been talking about doing a pastrami for over a year now and finally got to it.
After St. Pats day I picked four corn beefs on clearance two brisket flats and two top rounds.
I decided to do one of the flats.

Used Chris’s recipe Quick Pastrami Smoked Corned Beef Brisket in the Virtual Weber Bullet section.
The only change I made was I soaked the brisket for six hours changing the water every two hours before soaking it overnight.

Cooked it on the Camp Chef at 250 until it hit 165 then foiled it and took it off at 195 and into a cooler for two hours. Total time on the grill a little over 5 hours.
While the Pastrami rested I made dressing I found for the sandwich. Using mayo, sweet pickle juice, sweet pickle relish, lemon juice and horseradish cream.

Made up the sammies and I must admit I was impressed with the way the pastrami turned out, tender and not too salty and great flavor.
along with some home fries it was a great meal.

I will for sure be doing this again.

View attachment 25762

View attachment 25763

View attachment 25764

View attachment 25765

View attachment 25766

View attachment 25767

View attachment 25768

View attachment 25769

View attachment 25770

View attachment 25771
That looks Amazing Rich!

Killer pastrami cook Mr D!

Almost pulled the trigger on a Camp Chef PG24MZG earlier today from Amazon warehouse.
Listed as used, very good for $458, normal $599. Still holding off, for now.

Killer pastrami cook Mr D!

Almost pulled the trigger on a Camp Chef PG24MZG earlier today from Amazon warehouse.
Listed as used, very good for $458, normal $599. Still holding off, for now.

That's the model I have it's an Amazon exclusive. All I can tell you is I wish I had done this years ago. I love my Weber's but with the wind conditions here my WSM almost needed constant attention. I've cooked outside more this winter than I have in the past six years we've lived here. Sure it's not the true BBQ experience and I get that but it works for me well enough. We had steady 18 mph winds with gusts to 30+ when I did the pastrami and I was in the house monitoring the cook with my Smoke and the CC never moved off of 250 more than 3 or 4 degrees the whole cook. I went out one time to add some pellets to be on the safe side.
I do know where you're at my daughter has owned a Traeger for over 10 years and kept trying to get me to buy one and I said naw I got an oven in the house. Well look at me now. ;)

I knew that, and that's why I keep eyeing the same model.
CO son has had a CC pellet grill for a few years now and loves his.
I'd need to thin the herd to make room, not ready for that hassle yet.
Understood. If you have any questions just PM me be glad to help as I'm sure others would.

Really nice, Rich! I didn't grab any clearance corned beef this year and you're making me regret it!

However, it looks like the lens on your camera/phone has a smudge on the left side...;)

Well, It looks very tasty.

Would you please share its recipe with us?
Here you go Jack. You can find this recipe and many more in the Virtual Weber Bullet located in the forums bar at the top of this page it's located under cooking topics in the beef section.

Back