Do we need a chimney?

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
DH is on his laptop looking for chimneys. If we need one, any suggestions, PLEASE!!!!!?

If you are referring to a starter chimney, I have a large and small Weber chimney. Like them both a lot.....

I’ve cook tuna using the large chimney.

Happy to know you're using your new Kettle :). When I bought my first Kettle 5 years ago I bought an electric charcoal starter to go with it. Fortunately, I found this site very quickly afterwards and bought a Weber Chimney (7429) and a box of Weber Lighter Cubes. Except for when I use the gas-assist performer, those are the only two accessories I've used in almost 5 years to light my coals. For times when I smoke I also have their 7447 Compact Chimney.

There are likely other suitable alternatives to the lighter cubes but I'm not sure there's a device that matches their chimney.

Thanks guys, DH just read all your suggestions. He has gone back to his laptop, no idea what he is going to do. lol I know he is very anxious to use our new grill.

I snagged a dented (last) one for ten bucks at Target end of season. I have back ups for them too, right now, I’m down to two Weber and one charbroil. Watching for another scratch and dent deal!

Looks like the last one I got on Amazon was $14.99 in 2016.
Glad to know they are still decently priced at Lowe’s.
I picked up a lot of starter cubes at Target last year for $2.75 a box. I wonder how long those will hold up. I probably have 10 boxes.

DH is on his laptop looking for chimneys. If we need one, any suggestions, PLEASE!!!!!?
Joan I have both sizes I find myself using the small one 99% of the time as I only light 14 or so briquettes then dump them over my charcoal baskets that have charcoal in them or in my smoker basket. Charcoal lasts longer since it does not burn so fast compared to if you used the large chimney and filled it then lit it up.

You might want to start with the small one see if that works for you as you can always buy the larger one. I suppose if you were doing a bunch of burgers lets say not using the baskets and wanted to get a large area lit the big one would be useful as it holds a lot more briquettes. Depends what your doing the most of.

Get the big one, you don’t need to fill it to the top unless you need a full direct load (or two full baskets for indirect). I don’t use cubes for ignition, two sheets of newspaper or one brown paper bag is (in my opinion) is environmentally friendly, a burned piece of paper is equal to its outgassing from being buried so, it might as well give its last hurrah for my grilling escapades!

Before chimneys ( the earliest one was a metal coffee can with holes punched in with a church key from the boy scouts or the Frug)
people used lighter fluid.
Place the charcoal in a pile and douse it with plenty of petrol chemicals.
Some still do that or use matchlight charcoal, but most of us have moved on to a more natural way.

Back