Costco Ribs

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
I bought a package of their St Louis Ribs yesterday and after opening the package this AM I noticed that the membrane had not been removed. Not a big deal since I just removed it from each of the three racks, but thought that it was odd since every package I've bought at Costco previously has come with the membrane already removed.

May be a "lazy" meat cutter....
I've come across that also at my local butcher shop... and I asked why.
Was told (at this joint) it is suppose to be removed and someone got lazy on the racks I bought with it on.

I've always had the pleasure of having to remove the membrane. I have to figure I've had Costco ribs, but I'm not positive. I've gotten good at membrane removal. I remember my first time, it wasn't fun back then

Last ribs I bought from Costco membrane was removed, but in my infinite wisdom I still tried to remove it. After ten minutes :mad: I figured it out:p

All the ones I've gotten from Costco have had it removed. Weird

Yeah I thought it was weird too. The quality of their ribs is so good that it's pretty rare for me to buy them anywhere else. I remember the first time I bought ribs at our local wal mart right after they converted it into a Super Walmart. The ribs had an off-flavor so that was the first and last time there for me. Haven't bought ribs there ever since.

Confucius says:
If life gives you ribs with membrane on, cook ribs with membrane on, or take it off.
No big deal, one way or the other.

Here in Oz, Costco (less than 10 stores in the country) are the only major chain that sell 'American style ribs'- St Louis ribs with some meat on them. Usually we get 'shiners'- where the meat is cut back (removed) to the bone to make bacon.

And they do leave the membrane on here, probably because we do not know any better.

But as i learnt fom this site, use a little paper towel to get some grip, and the membrane usually comes off easy.

Best thing I buy in Costco.

If you take into account the sheer number of ribs that pass through Costco, it's not surprising to hear of a few racks slipping through with membrane intact.
I always figure I will have to do some work so, it's OK.

Every rack I've ever bought from Costco has had the membrane, which I remove when I get home. Never heard of them coming without the membrane.

Seems to be hit and miss if ribs come with the membrane removed or not. I bought two racks of baby backs last fall from our grocery store during a sale and frozen them. Went to cook them last week, one had the membrane on, one didn't.

Took me awhile to figure out on the first rack I did that came without a membrane.

I just bought a membership to Costco again. Selection and quality look better than Sam's. Costco has St Louis cut ribs where Sam's only has spares. Cheaper per pound to buy spares but end with up a lot of waste anyways. Only thing I don't like is the ribs come in 3 packs, not 2 packs like Sam's.

Last time at Costco I was going to get ribs. Ended up with a pork belly instead :)

I've only purchased the cryovac 3 rack baby back ribs at Costco, always no membrane. Are we talking the ribs on the styrofoam butcher trays?

I've only purchased the cryovac 3 rack baby back ribs at Costco, always no membrane. Are we talking the ribs on the styrofoam butcher trays?

And are we strictly talking baby backs?

I only cook spares (so far) and anytime I've gotten them from Costco, membrane has been on.

I can usually take them off pretty good with just my hands and a paper towel but was once out of paper towel and had to do it by hand (annoying).

For those instances, anyone know what this gadget is? Saw it on a bbq show.

25qr97q.jpg

And are we strictly talking baby backs?

I only cook spares (so far) and anytime I've gotten them from Costco, membrane has been on.

I can usually take them off pretty good with just my hands and a paper towel but was once out of paper towel and had to do it by hand (annoying).

For those instances, anyone know what this gadget is? Saw it on a bbq show.

25qr97q.jpg
I use those to skin catfish. I think you can find them in the fishing section at Walmart. But I just take a butter knife and work it under the membrane in the middle of the rack and work my finger underneath it and pull it up from the middle in both directions at the same time, super easy and no need for paper towels.

The ribs at our Costco are usually Swift ribs. Swift baby backs always have the membrane removed, at least in my experience. I've seen on this board from another poster, can't remember who, that Swift's spares and St. Louis ribs do not have the membrane removed.

Always removed here on baby backs from Costco, got some in the ftig,brave not checked yet, Saturdays cook maybe. The St Louis ribs I have not seen here before but my wife said they had them yesterday, I'll have to try those soon as see if they have membrane on.

Back