Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could get interesting, Ask yourselves out there? When the virus comes around to your area, can you financially afford setting for 2 weeks in your house with no paycheck & earning no money? On top of that, if you have no healthcare? What do you do then? Most people are not going to stay home for 2 weeks, they will go to work & it will spread the virus. Its either that or have no food to eat. No sporting events. This could really get nasty.
If this goes full blown in our country people will get to see the real short comings of our health care system first hand.

Unless something changes in the coming days, this is less deadly than several of the flu strains out there. Flu has killed 36 people here in Las Vegas this year. Media certainly hasn't helped the situation other than raise hell with our retirement investments. None of the masks out there are worth anything. You might as well make your own with a bandana and look like a bank robber who couldn't afford a ski mask.

Unless something changes in the coming days, this is less deadly than several of the flu strains out there. Flu has killed 36 people here in Las Vegas this year. Media certainly hasn't helped the situation other than raise hell with our retirement investments. None of the masks out there are worth anything. You might as well make your own with a bandana and look like a bank robber who couldn't afford a ski mask.
Exactly what they want it to do. Scare everyone and help make even more news.

I was more worried about it until I went out in public today - I'll probably be careful and I got a bunch of hand sanitizers & some aerosol disinfectant spray to spray the random stuff that's sent in for our repairs........... probably not too much to worry about.

My neighbor came over for a few last night & I wasn't too excited to see him (he just spent a night or 2 in jail), then he had a bunch of sores from work (squished fingernails). I'm a touch antisocial anyway but the fear of getting sick was slightly present.

I spoke to a local big wig at the hospital. They said exactly what Chris said: simple precautions. They also said it’s very treatable. More along the lines of take precautions but don’t panic.

My g/f works for a well known medical research & care institution (who shall not be named here.....) Sounds like they're at least as concerned about being able to maintain staffing levels, otherwise it'll be treated as another well known viral respiratory condition.

I listen to the adjectives and adverbs the media are using and you would think Corona virus could kill everyone that catches it. People are buying masks for what reason? I doubt those masks will prevent one contamination. This is a time when we could use some responsible TV journalism but we get drama instead. When all is said and done this virus may prove to be less of a problem that the Flu. Practice good hygiene and we'll be fine.

Exactly. If we practice good hygiene we'll be fine.

The talking heads with both the local and national news outlets are sensationalizing this to the point that they're doing more harm than good (especially to the stock market and our retirement accounts). I get that the media profession is extremely competitive, and I'd imagine that A LOT of the reporters are over dramatizing this to help advance their own careers, etc.

Michael Savage has some recent podcasts of late about the virus. I know he is a political talk show host, but he also has a PhD in epidemiology and can give insight that others can't.

I am not sure how this is going to end, but advanced nations will be better equipped to handle things than developing / third-world nations will, and I rank China as a cross between a developing and a third-world nation.

I'm hosed anyway you look at it. I have a mild heart condition so I'm staying away from everyone except Barb. Barb works at Safeway as a checker and is in close contact with literally hundreds of people every day she works. She touches every thing they touch also.
Not a good scenario.
So far no reported cases up here.

Rich a couple days ago a guy calls in to WGN Radio while I was listening. At the time the host had a well known Dr from the area who is head of Northwestern Medical Center. The guy (not the Dr) explains he actually has the COVID19 and goes on to say it's nowhere near as bad as having a flu bug. He described it as more like a bad cold. I honestly think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. <Moderator: Deleted political comment.>
I went through the last 3 or 4 killer illnesses also while working either in one of the busiest airports in the world or flying with general public locked in an aluminum tube doing anywhere from 3 to 5 "legs" a day. I did come down with pneumonia twice (but not from anything more than having COPD from being a previous smoker and mechanic and exposed to asbestos back in the 60's and 70's), and I had a stroke (again nothing to do with do with so called "killer" viruses).

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich a couple days ago a guy calls in to WGN Radio while I was listening. At the time the host had a well known Dr from the area who is head of Northwestern Medical Center. The guy (not the Dr) explains he actually has the COVID19 and goes on to say it's nowhere near as bad as having a flu bug. He described it as more like a bad cold. I honestly think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. <Moderator: Deleted political comment.>
We now have a collapsing economy (just in time for their intentions) as well. I went through the last 3 or 4 killer illnesses also while working either in one of the busiest airports in the world or flying with general public locked in an aluminum tube doing anywhere from 3 to 5 "legs" a day. I did come down with pneumonia twice (but not from anything more than having COPD from being a previous smoker and mechanic and exposed to asbestos back in the 60's and 70's), and I had a stroke (again nothing to do with do with so called "killer" viruses).
I agree Larry a lot of it is political hype. Really I'm not to worried I always get a flu shot and have had a pneumonia shot also. I know that doesn't affect the current COVID19 virus but at least I'm partially protected from getting sick and then getting the COVID19 virus.
I haven't had so much as a cold in over five years so my health is pretty good. Barb been told she has the health of a 30 year old as a matter of fact twice when she had a full panel blood test the doctor did it over as he thought the lab screwed up and gave her someone younger results. So even though see has lots of exposure I'm confident she could fend it off if she got it.
Since I lost 55 pounds my BP is down to 124/ 72 and my heart rate is also down and my energy level is much better. I can almost keep up with Barb (in my dreams).
I'm not going to go into self isolation but I will be cautious and only go out when it's necessary until this thing settles down..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here is a new twist from I guess people being total butt wipes. We're down to the last couple rolls of toilet paper. So I had to pick up some decongestant and knowing Sam's has generic versions of what the Dr recommended I went there. Needed eggs as well. Not a roll of TP to be found. *** is wrong with people?!!!!!!!!!! No one every wiped their a$$ before COVID19? Or washed their hands?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back