Buyer's Remorse.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
My birthday was on Wednesday and I asked my wife to get me some of the Sweet Seduction dry rub from Big Poppa Smokers website. I've heard and read amazing things about this dry rub so I wanted to try it.

I tasted it and it's good--don't get me wrong. Nice salty, sweet flavor and I can't wait to try in on ribs or BB. Having said that, the cost of admission was ridiculous. Over $20 with shipping for 13oz of dry rub? Do the math -- that's about $25 a pound! :(

Wow. Just...wow. :rolleyes:

If I had known it would be that expensive, I might have skipped it. I know--there will be folks saying oh it's great, and this and that--"get over it" I'm sure will be coming my way. But, for a bit of sugar and other dry ingredients, that's ridiculous. And $6-7 to ship something that costs $13 and weighs in at 13oz is exorbitant IMHO.

Just my take on it. YMMV.

Thanks for letting me vent.

My birthday was on Wednesday and I asked my wife to get me some of the Sweet Seduction dry rub from Big Poppa Smokers website. I've heard and read amazing things about this dry rub so I wanted to try it.

I tasted it and it's good--don't get me wrong. Nice salty, sweet flavor and I can't wait to try in on ribs or BB. Having said that, the cost of admission was ridiculous. Over $20 with shipping for 13oz of dry rub? Do the math -- that's about $25 a pound! :(

Wow. Just...wow. :rolleyes:

If I had known it would be that expensive, I might have skipped it. I know--there will be folks saying oh it's great, and this and that--"get over it" I'm sure will be coming my way. But, for a bit of sugar and other dry ingredients, that's ridiculous. And $6-7 to ship something that costs $13 and weighs in at 13oz is exorbitant IMHO.

Just my take on it. YMMV.

Thanks for letting me vent.
I saw on bbqbrethen someone posted they have free shipping right now. Wonder if it's worth calling and receiving a retroactive discount to ease the remorse.

To your point, that is ridiculous. Bless your wife for getting it for you, although you're still 'paying' for it.

That is why I like SYD rub. Harry freely gives the recipe on his site and classes but also helps when you need to modify it. My wife thought it was to salty due to her doctors advice so I did some research on how to make it work with less salt. Also sent an email to Harry and he sent back a modified recipe that is very good and much less salt. Even better and easier than they way I was going to modify. If the different teams and sites are going to sell the rubs and spices, why not sell in batches that will work on the amount of food we normally cook and will last for more than one cook.

Just my 20 cents but I do agree with you Jeff.

Edit: The Thermoworks remote therm is called the "Smoke". Check out this link that Chris posted.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your experience. The key with BPS is buying such that your total qualifies for free shipping, which is normally what I do.

But, the last time I bought Sweet Seduction was on a rush order. Bought 5 pounds and had it shipped overnight. This was the only time I have paid shipping and handling when ordering from BPS.

As an example, my last order was :
2 - 32 oz bottles of Swamp Boys Original BBQ Sauce
1 - 1/2 gallon Blues Hog Original Barbecue Sauce
1 - 1/2 gallon Blue Hog Tennessee Red Sauce
1 - 13 oz bottle of Cash Cow Beef Rub
1 - 10 oz bottle of Cuckoo Racha Chili Dust Seasoning
1 - 13 oz bottle of Happy Ending BBQ Finishing Rub
2 - 16 oz packages of Cattleprod Beef & Brisket Injection
1 - 12 oz bottle of Simply Marvelous BBQ Rub Genie's Hooch
1 - 6 oz bottle of Meat Mitch Whomp! BBQ Rub
1 - 13 oz bottle of Simply Marvelous BBQ Rub Peppered Cow
1 - 13 oz bottle of Simply Marvelous BBQ Rub Sweet & Spicy

Shipping & Handling : $ 0.00

Bob Bass, for that much product, it had better be free shipping!
I agree, any of the bigger guys (like Harry) that have the good grace to share the ingredient list for their rubs deserve huge applause!
I have been using the old Emeril "Essence" recipe for years! I will be using some this evening as a matter of fact!

Bob Bass, for that much product, it had better be free shipping!
I agree, any of the bigger guys (like Harry) that have the good grace to share the ingredient list for their rubs deserve huge applause!
I have been using the old Emeril "Essence" recipe for years! I will be using some this evening as a matter of fact!

I use Emeril's rustic rub recipe alot. It's very similar.

With the prices of "commercial" rubs and the amount of salt that most have (and my & the wife's blood pressure situations), I nearly always make my own. Have not tried the SYD yet, but I plan to. Honestly, Meathead's Memphis Dust is the one I use most often. I mix up about 8-9 cups worth of it at a time and it lasts me several months. I've never calculated the cost of making it, but I'd be surprised if it's more than $10 per batch.

That being said, there is a BBQ supply place out near Chambersburg, PA that I pass for business every July. Since discovering the place, I stop there every year and grab a half-dozen or so rubs or sauces, more to try out and find what I like than anything else. Next year, I need to buy more Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub...that's one of the few commercial rubs that I really like and haven't been able to replicate at home.

I can't buy commercial rubs due to the high salt content of most of them, so shipping isn't a problem for me as I make my own most of the time. I do understand that the shipping costs can become an issue. I have sold over a thousand items on EBay and now I don't sell much at all because it just cost some much more to ship anything then it did a few years ago. That's why you see a lot of free shipping on EBay now but you are paying the shipping rolled into the purchase price.
So when buying limited quantities or lower priced items it's tuff paying twice what the item cost in shipping charges.

AND there are so many fantastic recipes HERE, I honestly don't know why you'd go anywhere else :)

Yes.

With all of the high quality recipes out there and readily available ingredients rubs are so easy to make that I can't imagine paying for a commercial product.

Edit: Rather than post the modified recipe here, anyone who wants it can send me a PM and I will send it over right away.

Not it is not quite the same Rita. Am just about to take my wife to breakfast but when I get back I will post the modified recipe. I was going to modify it a different way but I had emailed Harry and he got back to me with an easier way to do it and we like it very much. Every time I check ingredients on commercial rubs I see that salt is almost always the main (first) ingredient. Will post the updated recipe later today.
Bob

Bob Ivey, is the SYD rub recipe you refer to earlier on this thread the General All-Purpose BBQ Rub shown on this page?

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/02/syd-all-purpose-rub/

I noticed that he now has a lower-sodium product available.

Thanks,
Rita

Last edited:
Hey -at least it's just about a batch of rub:

On this website - such comments could be for somebody who spent hundreds on the wrong Smoker or Grill.
(I wonder if anyone on here has ever had their SO leave them over that 7th Weber, or something like that, that they bought...?)

I have always believed that people put to much interest in finding the "perfect" rub. To me these are just spices. I may be different then most but I can barely taste the difference between many rubs. mostly only the level of salt. That being said I make all my own rubs and to tell you the truth the only difference between the rub I use on pork butts vs the rub I use on ribs is the amount of salt. I suggest to everyone just spend an afternoon experimenting with building your own rubs and save the buyers remorse of purchasing off the internet. Or buy something at the store such as Pappy's and call it a day. Just my opinion,

You know, Steve, I tend to agree with that, I have never bought a second bottle of anybody's rub. Usually because they are indeed too salty! I'll poke my head in the spice cupboard and see what's there and let the ingredients guide me. I did up a rub for some feast and it turned out really wonderfully.
Spread about a cup of brown sugar on a cookie sheet and allow to dry overnight, add 1/4C. Kosher salt, maybe three T. Of Chinese 5 spice powder and the zest of two large oranges. Let the zest dry a little before you add that. The salt helps,dry the sugar some too. I think I used that on some pork, I might have to make some up for the thanksgiving turkey!

I've got a rub I'm working on but I do like trying different rubs occasionally to get ideas on flavors. I do agree with Steve though. Especially if you have cooked something for a very long time, slight differences in rubs aren't going to be as noticeable. There are times when some rubs are going to have exotic ingredients that might be harder for the average person to find. The most critical thing is getting the level of salt right.

I understand your pain over shipping costs, but you should what they look like when you have an Alaska or Hawaii zip code.

Back