Brisket "secret": mustard and pickle juice?

I've read, in more than one discussion, that one of the "secrets" supposedly used by brisket maestros in Texas is to slather the meat with a thin coating of mustard and pickle juice, then apply the rub (the exact ingredients being open to speculation.)

But in all the discussions I've seen, no one asks what I think is an obvious question: dill pickle juice or sweet pickle juice?

What say ye?

I've read, in more than one discussion, that one of the "secrets" supposedly used by brisket maestros in Texas is to slather the meat with a thin coating of mustard and pickle juice, then apply the rub (the exact ingredients being open to speculation.)

But in all the discussions I've seen, no one asks what I think is an obvious question: dill pickle juice or sweet pickle juice?

What say ye?
I vote for dill pickle juice. The low pH of vinegar can help tenderize meat.

I prefer to trim, salt and overnight fridge it exposed for maximum flavor and moisture. I’m not buying the pickle juice or mustard schmear stuff. Although both of those ingredients are in my tuna salad.

People are always looking for ways to be frugal and not waste stuff, so why not use pickle juice this way? You can't taste mustard when used like this on brisket or pork, I doubt you can taste pickle juice, either.

Other commonly applied liquids before rub include hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

I've always just thought of mustard as a way to make the spices adhere well, never perceived any flavor difference.....
People are always looking for ways to be frugal and not waste stuff, so why not use pickle juice this way?
Chris, this is why I have three jars of martini olives in my fridge that have been devoid of olives for a while......seems silly to pour olive juice down the drain when you can make dirty martinis with it! :) Now you have me thinking I should be using it on my 'Q! :)

R

I jumped on the pickle juice train my last brisket cook. The brisket came out great, one of the best I have done. However, being that I tried a few new things on the cook I can't say what made a real difference. May have just been a great brisket. I believe it was a Jeremy Yoder video that talked about it. The hillbillys at my work eat a lot of pickles in the summer so it didn't cost me anything to try. And it was dill pickle juice.

I've always just thought of mustard as a way to make the spices adhere well, never perceived any flavor difference.....

Chris, this is why I have three jars of martini olives in my fridge that have been devoid of olives for a while......seems silly to pour olive juice down the drain when you can make dirty martinis with it! :) Now you have me thinking I should be using it on my 'Q! :)

R
I concur, though you are more of a martini purest via gin as opposed to my preference of vodka, I will not relinquish that salty brine!

I concur, though you are more of a martini purest via gin as opposed to my preference of vodka, I will not relinquish that salty brine!
The most important component of any martini, Eric, is that it contains the spirit you prefer! :)

R

I've used mustard, nothing, Worcestershire..... Doesnt make a bit of difference.

Most often I just use nothing now

Pickle juice is a "ingredient" in making your own chicken nuggets. Works for a lot of things. Mustard really a binder for pork shoulder. Would not want to ruin a brisket but will try on next one

I can absolutely taste mustard when I use it as a binder. It’s pretty mild but it’s definitely there.

Pickle juice, hadn’t thought of. Don’t think I’ll try. But it should help similar to vinegar.

I used to use mustard for butts but not for anything else.
I tried Bear & Burton’s W Sauce as a binder and now use it for everything.

Try mustard and dry red cooking wine.
“Cooking wine”? if I not drinking it I’m sure as all that’s delicious I’m not cooking with it! I remember being at someone’s house and I asked for a blast of sherry for some gravy and I was handed a bottle of some putrid “Cooking sherry”. Just smelling it made me want to run! Thank GOD there was a nice bottle of red that I’d brought! Not quite the same flavor I was hoping for but, beat the socks off the “Cooking“ garp!

Back