Awesome charcoal chimney for Minion Method

Dave Alvarado

TVWBB Super Fan
I stumbled across this on Amazon and ordered it. Finally got to try it out last night. This is the perfect charcoal chimney for using the Minion Method. No open air space when you're using fewer coals, and the briquettes seemed to light up faster when I used it last night. I filled it up and within 5 minutes I had flames licking the top coals.

Plus, it's much smaller so easier to store.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009IH0ICG/tvwb-20

Dave, what're its dimensions? I looked it up at weber.com but couldn't find any specs, and am wondering how it compares to the smaller chimneys often sold in hardware, discount, and home improvement stores.

Maybe 1/2 the size of a full size Weber chimney, maybe a little smaller. We used one at competitions last year. Meijer stores, for those of us in the upper midwest/Great Lakes region, have them for $10.

Member Robert Clark posted a comparison pic here.

7a532667bbb98163369e2365a02e4d46.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, what're its dimensions? I looked it up at weber.com but couldn't find any specs, and am wondering how it compares to the smaller chimneys often sold in hardware, discount, and home improvement stores.

Brad first review has all the answers. On my wish list. Perfect for starting the 22 1/2 WSM for a slow n low IMO. Thanks for sharing Dave!

I have the full size and ordered this a few weeks ago. Have used it twice and works much better for my 22.5 when doing slow cooks.

I have the tall Weber chimney and a no-name small one that I picked up cheap. I haven't found the small one to be any advantage, but that might just be the way I use the tall one.

I have made many of the soda can alcohol stoves (YouTube and use that term for a search argument). I keep several around the charcoal storage can and in the OTG and the mini-WSM. I also bought a gallon of isopropyl alcohol for about $5. I keep some in a quart size squirt bottle and just squirt a little in the stove. I then set the stove on a fireproof surface and lower the tall chimney over it. I always have a good fire within 5 minutes. This is lot cheaper than starter cubes and a whole lot easier to manage.

YMMV, of course. Just thought I'd share what works for me. The small one is going to SIL for his mini-WSM. He already has several soda can stoves I gave him.

These are also available at big box stores, we got 1 last year at our local Farm and Fleet. I use it for our camping grill, works great and takes less space. Kind of like beer commercials- tastes great, less filling!

If I only have a few briquettes to light, I usually turn my standard size chimney upside down and put them on what would be the bottom end. It's worked fine so far. I've lit as few as 6 briquettes this way

I just cut out the top and bottom of a liter size apple juice can, put it over a lit starter cube and put in a half dozen or so briquettes. After a few minutes, pick the lit briquettes up with the tongs and strategically place them where needed. Works good and I'm cheap.

I got the mini a few months ago and I probably use it 75% of the time. I re-use partially spent charcoal religously and only need to fire up a small amount of charcoal for many cooks. Highly recommended.

Back