Large Chimney vs mini chimney

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I received my mini chimney (PN 7447) the other day and snapped a couple photos for comparison beside the larger more common Chimney (PN:7416). I think this is going to be a nice companion the the mini wsm/SJ for the RV:

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

With storage at a premium in an RV, the nice thing is I can lay it down inside the mini wsm for transport.

Nice! Mine arrived today and I'm going to use it to fire up the Smokey Joe tonight. I am very excited to see how many briquettes it holds, how much hardwood lump, see if there is any difference in light time, etc. Very exciting!!!

Enjoy!

Laura

Thanks for posting the pictures for comparison. After reading your comments about taking it in the RV it started to make sense to me. I couldn't figure why anyone wouldn't just put less coal in the regular chimney starter if they wanted to start a smaller amount, but the space saving idea is a good one!

i like the fact that we now have a choice but 'am having a hard time over the price and real need of it. granted the mini is small but the regular one can be used for storage
itself. heck even a coffee can could do a good job without the cost. saying that i hope all that buy one are more than happy with it.

Here's my two cents after some time -

It's great for my Smokey Joe Silver. It holds the perfect amount of briquettes for it.

With that said, I tend to use hardwood lump these days. The little compact guy does not hold enough lump for me and I end up using my normal sized chimney starter. Last night I did a quick hot grill of steaks and shrimp where I needed half direct and half indirect so it worked out with the little guy.

I am sure it will be great for minion method starting, which is one of the main reasons why I bought it. That alone may make it worth the price of buying it for me.

At any rate, I could see this being useful for some people and their grilling set ups, and for others, not so much. It sure is cute, though.

Laura

I got one for Christmas. Without a doubt it is perfect for my SJ. I particularly like using it to lite KB to do minion method for the mini WSM. I can lite a half mini chimney of KB over the Touch N Go igniter on my Performer and have it ready to start the mini WSM in just a little over five minutes.

IMAG1007_zps077bc8b0.jpg

IMAG1010_zps1b491a59.jpg

Last edited:
I'll answer my own question and say no to carrying the mini chimney inside the new Jumbo Joe with the cooking grate in place:
jumchim_zpsec691ce4.jpg

And the mini chimney will fit inside a quarter section of Craycort 22.5 grates. But using a Performer's propane assist won't work welll:
craychim_zpse2f25a59.jpg

And I forgot to add that the cooking grate from my 18.5 WSM fits perfectly on the Jumbo Joe. The Jumbo Joe's grate seems a tad lighter weight than the WSM's, however.

Last edited:
I didn't even know the mini existed until seeing it at Farm & Fleet today. I told my wife that I'd found my birthday present. This will be perfect for Minion starts.

Back