Andouille Sausage and Forkish Walnut Levain Bread

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
This is a double post. Needed to do some more of the Andouille Sausages. Ran out a week or so ago. Among other things, my wife likes to put it in her spaghetti sauce. Also made a loaf of the Ken Forkish Walnut Levain Bread. We went over to my son's last evening for a bbq, so I took a loaf to have with dinner. Here's the pic's.

Earlier in the day I grilled up a sweet yellow onion.

Got this little guy and chunked it up.

Combined meat with pork fat and the grilled onions.

The other stuff.

Ran it through a coarse grind. Added a half cup of red wine and hand mixed for two minutes. Stuffed the casings.

Hung the sausage for two hours.

Put sausages in bowl and put in fridge over night.

Bright and early the next morning built a 4 line snake.

Brought the 22 WSM up to a steady 180. Hung the sausages.

Continued...

Last edited:

Five hours later all done. IT 155-160. Put in fridge for about 20 minutes to stop the cooking. Then in fridge until I vac seal.

Here's a sample.

Snake just about right size.

On to the bread. After and overnight 13 to 14 hour proof.

Uncovered Dutch Ovens after 30 minutes.

Another 15 minutes without the lids. Done.

Slices.

The sausage is the best I've done. The bread was wonderful, my wife's favorite. Thanks for looking everyone!

Last edited:
The sausages look insane. The bread....I've run out of compliments. I only hope SF's bullpen is half as good as your bread

Wow! Killer sausage and bread!

I need to expand on the bread and try the poolish and levain. Looks awesome.

That sausage looks wonderful Cliff, great cook. Bread looks killer too. Waiting for our second proofing basket to get here then we will be jumping back into the bread making.

Cliff, that sausage is to die for outstanding job. Bread is awesome looking forward to trying that one, love walnuts in bread.

Back