#12 Standing Rib Roast

Ryan P.K.

TVWBB Pro
So I have been task, by my family, to do a #12 Standing Rib Roast (bone in) for Christmas. This what I am thinking! 2 bags of Royal Oak lump unlit and 1/2 to 3/4 chimney of lit KB. I am probably going with pecan wood. The plans is to smoke the rib roast @250 for 6-8 hours. I am going to pull it off when the IT reaches 115. The questions are, 1) Am I in the ball park for time? 2) Is my set up good?

So I have been task, by my family, to do a #12 Standing Rib Roast (bone in) for Christmas. This what I am thinking! 2 bags of Royal Oak lump unlit and 1/2 to 3/4 chimney of lit KB. I am probably going with pecan wood. The plans is to smoke the rib roast @250 for 6-8 hours. I am going to pull it off when the IT reaches 115. The questions are, 1) Am I in the ball park for time? 2) Is my set up good?
Standing Rib Roasts should be cooked at 325 / 350 and figure 10 minutes per pound although I can't see it going the whole two hours. If you cook a SRR for 6-8 hours, you will have destroyed it

I think cooking closer to 250 will give you a more even cook on the interior. The idea of cooking hotter is for a better crust. You could try searing at the end to get an even better crust. Just my opinion.

Standing Rib Roasts should be cooked at 325 / 350 and figure 10 minutes per pound although I can't see it going the whole two hours. If you cook a SRR for 6-8 hours, you will have destroyed it
I guess I should change my comment:

BBQ a SRR at 325/350 for approx 10 minutes per pound is a tried and true cook method. Apparently smoking a SSR at 250 for approx an hour per pound is also a tried and true method. That said, I'll be BBQ-ing mine at 325/350 for 10 minutes a pound, because at $200+, and being served on the greatest of all holidays (Christmas) I don't want to chance messing it up. I did print up the link Bob provided, if I ever win the lotto, I might give it a try; smoking a SRR

When I do a large roast at cooking temps that high, what I get, is a roast where every couple of inches I move away from the center, is cooked to a different level of done-ness, than the section next to it. I get much more uniform results throughout the roast, when cooked at 225. I'm not saying the ends are well done, but I get some slices on either end that I wouldn't call medium rare. That may work well for your group, sometimes it does for mine.

If you cook at 250, I doubt you will have to go anywhere near as long as 8 hours. And you won't need anywhere near 2 bags of unlit lump, not if you are talking about 15+ pound bags.

I've done a SRR following the Montreal Rub recipe, which uses 325-350 temp for the past few years. It always turned out good and everyone enjoyed. After reading and listening to others tout the merits of more even cooking using a lower temp, last year I followed Chris's Salt and Pepper PR recipe. It was definitely an improvement -- done much more evenly from edge to center.

The cook time for his 6 bone roast was 4.5hrs at 250.

I'll be doing this again this year, although think I'll try it without the bones and see if I can improve it even further.

Good luck!

Ryan,
If you have a rotisserie for your Weber it will produce the BEST rib roast that you will ever eat. (prime rib is a restaurant term only, no such cut in the real world) It will sear the roast as it rotates round & round.
If you don't have a rotisserie I suggest smoking in the 250* range to 120* then reverse sear it over the coals to your target temp. This is way better than any oven cooked roast in my humble opinion.
I just did one a few weeks ago, check it out & see for yourself on this site.
Hope that this helps,
The old grill goat

Really I don't think you can go wrong either temp. It just depends on what you want. It's prime rib. It's gonna be great!

I ordered from our butcher a beautiful USDA Prime SRR for Christmas. (An investment to say the least) My son brought home a USDA Choice SRR for $5.99 a LBS!!! So this Christmas I get to cook one (Prime) on using my roto in my 22" red kettle and I get to cook the Choice on my WSM, I'm going to smoke it exactly as shown in Chris Allingham's thread in Bob's post. I can't wait for Christmas now :)

I will be cooking a 3 rib roast on Christmas morning. I was planning on removing the bones to get a crust on all sides and the cooking slow at 225 on my kettle until the internal temp is 115 and then searing over high heat until 125-130. But, I also own a rotisserie for the kettle, I would like to know, would the rotisserie be even better? and how should I set the rotisserie up in the kettle?
I am so excited to eat that thing!

I have done the cooks illustrated method, the Weber "official" method, as well as a few others. It's not a difficult thing to do at all. I will admit, I've not spun one....yet.
I think if I did, I would set up with a basic indirect set up, full baskets, drip pan, (you are making Yorkshire Pudding, right?) maybe a nice piece of apple or pecan, or maybe olive wood for smoke. I like the "Start Hot, and Ride the heat down" method. Less to worry about. You can really only have a problem if you over cook it, I actually over did one while waiting for guests to arrive and it was still pretty darned good! I'd go easy with smoke, it's (arguably) the best part of a cow for roasting!

One thing the OP never mentioned was if he will be using a remote thermometer to monitor the cook. Most of us have learned a long time ago that the internal temp of the SRR or most other meats is the only way to go. Time per pound is only a rough estimate but should never be used by itself. Just wanted to make sure this important step was not overlooked.

I will be cooking a 3 rib roast on Christmas morning. I was planning on removing the bones to get a crust on all sides and the cooking slow at 225 on my kettle until the internal temp is 115 and then searing over high heat until 125-130. But, I also own a rotisserie for the kettle, I would like to know, would the rotisserie be even better? and how should I set the rotisserie up in the kettle?
I am so excited to eat that thing!
Micah,
Either way that you have suggested to doing your rib roast sounds fine. Give the spinner a shot. I think that you may never go back.
I did one titled "keeping up with the Dahls" in the photo gallery check it out. I'm going to spin a 4 bone'r on Christmas myself.
Nice to see a Colorado guy on the site. Hope that this helps,
old grill goat

One thing the OP never mentioned was if he will be using a remote thermometer to monitor the cook. Most of us have learned a long time ago that the internal temp of the SRR or most other meats is the only way to go. Time per pound is only a rough estimate but should never be used by itself. Just wanted to make sure this important step was not overlooked.

Word!

I shudder to think of a grey over done roast! The horror!

Very good point Bob! Weight to time ratio is a good starting point but, "Knowing" is best. I don't have a remote so, I give it the poke test first followed by a probe thermometer to double check.
I have learned not to really try to keep up with the Dahl's but, use them as inspiration! Good thread though Russ!
As for grey, yes that should be avoided, I wish my wife didn't like things "well done" (read "Ruined!") but, I always try to get one end a bit more done that the other. I think spinning one with a few coals at one end as well as the basic side set up might just be the ticket!
Her son and I could,probably kill off a four ribber leaving her the "toasted" end just fine!
Enough dripping for "Yorkies", a,big batch of Brussels sprouts, roasted beets, baked potatoes.....
Thank god it's time for lunch and I have to ge away from here!

Micah,
Either way that you have suggested to doing your rib roast sounds fine. Give the spinner a shot. I think that you may never go back.
I did one titled "keeping up with the Dahls" in the photo gallery check it out. I'm going to spin a 4 bone'r on Christmas myself.
Nice to see a Colorado guy on the site. Hope that this helps,
old grill goat

Spinner it is. I can't wait!

Back