Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts about using MSG?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar

Your thoughts about using MSG?

Monosodium glutamate.
    I know it's a controversial subject for many, but I want to know if you use it, and if so, do you think it really is a flavor enhancer.
    I had a shaker of Accent years ago, no recollection about how it might have added to the flavor of food.
    Pros and cons are all over the internet, of course, here's what the FDA says:
    https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additi...-glutamate-msg
    Many natural foods have glutamate, MSG is supposed to be no different than naturally occurring. Some bbq rub recipes call for it.
    Sound off!
    and a Pit Boss Kamado

For our household, we generally don't use rubs that contain MSG. Wife has shown that she responds negatively to BBQ at contests because of the high MSG usage by teams. Responds as if she has the 3 day flu !

Only happens when higher concentrations are used....
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bass View Post
    For our household, we generally don't use rubs that contain MSG. Wife has shown that she responds negatively to BBQ at contests because of the high MSG usage by teams. Responds as if she has the 3 day flu !

Only happens when higher concentrations are used....
    Pretty much what my research found, in order for a reaction to happen it has to be in an amount much higher than what normal usage would be.
    and a Pit Boss Kamado

I don't shy away from it, but I don't really go out of my way to include it. I have had what I think was a reaction to MSG in the past after a family member used 'a bunch' at a family dinner.
    (AH)-Black, ThermaPen Classic-Red, Weber 6707 Deluxe Tool Set, Weber 6645 Travel Tool Set, Weber 6469 Premium Grilling Rack

Quote Originally Posted by KE Quist View Post
    I don't shy away from it, but I don't really go out of my way to include it. I have had what I think was a reaction to MSG in the past after a family member used 'a bunch' at a family dinner.
    I don't avoid it, and I avoid adding it to rub recipes if called for.

My relatives used to use a seasoning called Onera, it's basically a seasoning salt but 50% MSG. My cousins still love it.

I got some steak seasoning that's called Uncle Chris' Steak seasoning, it has quite a bit of MSG (recognize the crystals). It's pretty good but I doubt I'll look for it again.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Went to a Chinese fast food chain a few years ago that "claims" they don't use msg. Had a bad reaction, barely made it home before passing out. Won't touch the stuff now.

I don't avoid it. I use it when a recipe calls for it. Otherwise I don't. It's not something I use routinely.

It's my understanding that many people (not all) who think they are responding to MSG are experiencing something else. Similar to L-tryptophan at Thanksgiving not being the cause of your sleepiness.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I don't use it.
    Just because I think it is not necessary, not because of health reasons

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    I use it , as BRITU calls for it. I will add it to other recipes just for the h of it. No reactions here
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

I don't purposely add it like S&P but it's in a few spice blends I use. Chef Merito, Cavenders, Sazon Goya.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast