New: Heinz Pitmaster Collection barbecue sauces

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Seen at Walmart Neighborhood Market: The Heinz Pitmaster Collection.

QVU5f2q.jpg

The Heinz Barbecue Team worked with some of the nation's top pitmasters to create this collection of authentic regional barbecue sauces that taste even better than they look. Which 'cue are you?

The KC sauce was developed in collaboration with Joe and Mike Pearce; the Memphis sauce with Dan Brown of Leonard's Pit Barbecue; the Texas sauce with Robert Sierra of S&S Pit Crew; and the Carolina sauce with Sam Jones of Skylight Inn BBQ.

Also available in larger individual bottles.

I'm a big fan of Heinz ketchup, mustard and 57 steak sauce, but not so much for their barbecue sauces in the past. But I'm looking forward to breaking these open and giving them a try. Now I just need to make some barbecue!

B98sLMb.jpg

WHCauxm.jpg

XLhqs8d.jpg

fLPHjEt.jpg

Store-bought? I kinda like the sauces I find on TVWBB-->no preservatives and ingredients I can pronounce.

...and NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP?

Due to lax rules, you can call almost anything "natural" these days. But there's no HFCS in these. For the KC sauce, for example: Distilled white vinegar, cane sugar, tomato paste, water, dark brown sugar, blackstrap molasses, salt, corn starch, natural smoke flavor, mustard seed, garlic powder, onion powder, and a bunch of stuff including anchovies that tells me Worcestershire sauce was used. The only odd ingredient is xantham gum, a thickener, which is made from fermented sugar and a bacteria.

Due to lax rules, you can call almost anything "natural" these days. But there's no HFCS in these. For the KC sauce, for example: Distilled white vinegar, cane sugar, tomato paste, water, dark brown sugar, blackstrap molasses, salt, corn starch, natural smoke flavor, mustard seed, garlic powder, onion powder, and a bunch of stuff including anchovies that tells me Worcestershire sauce was used. The only odd ingredient is xantham gum, a thickener, which is made from fermented sugar and a bacteria.
this sounds alright to me.... and Walmart is the only joint selling this stuff? That's a turn-off... not liking the idea going to the local Walmart.

this sounds alright to me.... and Walmart is the only joint selling this stuff? That's a turn-off... not liking the idea going to the local Walmart.

Not sure if it's sold in other stores. I saw the big bottles at a regular Walmart and the sample pack at a Walmart Neighborhood Market.

I just picked up the Texas and Memphis ones. I will probably give them both a shot tomorrow. If weather at all cooperates Im going to cook a brisket tonight.

That four pak was only $5.58? Pretty good price, I might have to make a Walmart run although I have gotten hooked on making our own BBQ suace

I go both ways, making, tweaking bottled or just using bottled.
Last night we tried the "Carolina" not bad, mines better, yours probably is too but, it would do in a pinch.

I bought the sampler pack today from Walmart ...
And I did try just on a spoon... A taste of the Texas and the Carolina sauces ...
Both taste awesome!
Very impressed!!
Chris thanks very much for posting this

Thanks for the review, Jim. I was just in Wally World this morning. Wish I had known to look for it!

I bought the sampler pack today from Walmart ...
And I did try just on a spoon... A taste of the Texas and the Carolina sauces ...
Both taste awesome!
Very impressed!!
Chris thanks very much for posting this

Going to Wally's tomorrow I'll check it out, if the sodium isn't to bad I'll give them a try.
Thanks for sharing Chris.

...if the sodium isn't to bad I'll give them a try.
Thanks for sharing Chris.
Rich, i do not know the sodium content, but ill tell you it is pretty dang tasty without a salt taste to it.
salt is in the middle of the ingredient list, if that means anything

Wally World says not around me but, my Meijer store has full size individuals available, I think I will pick up a couple of more flavors next week!
The "test kit" would have made life easier but, what the heck, I will always be sampling something anyway why not use a full size bottle? Broader test spectrum.
There, I have made a decision.

I tried the Texas and the Memphis ones sparingly on some brisket. The Texas one is really good. The Memphis one is too sweet for beef. I think it would taste great on ribs.

Back