You know you're getting old when...

We called them "lakers" or "lake pipes" as in "She purrs like a kitten til the lake pipes roar" (Giddyup 409)
The "purrs like a kitten til the lake pipes roar" is from "Little Deuce Coupe".

"She's got a competition clutch with the four on the floor
And she purrs like a kitten till the lake pipes roar
And if that ain't enough to make you flip your lid
There's one more thing, I got the pink slip daddy."

The "purrs like a kitten til the lake pipes roar" is from "Little Deuce Coupe".

"She's got a competition clutch with the four on the floor
And she purrs like a kitten till the lake pipes roar
And if that ain't enough to make you flip your lid
There's one more thing, I got the pink slip daddy."
I have that album, bought it when it first came out.

EDIT: Lousy lighting on the picture. It's a little yellow but still in good shape. Stereo records were a dollar more in those days and I didn't have a stereo record player so all my old albums are mono. Remember when state of the art was called HiFi (High Fidelity)? Now it's Dolby Atmos...

20220131_140708.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I got it mixed up. I was singing both in my head at the same time. Funny I have a soft spot for both 409s and flatheads

You bet, worked for Ma Bell for 36 years.

I'm not an old guy compared to some, but I get sad everytime I see an old Ford hot rod with a 350 instead of a flat head. I know they make less power, but dang are they sweet!
I agree but after pulling the heads off of mine a couple of times, I understand why people went with the small block Chevys. Each head had 24 bolts and they usually felt like they were welded in place. The other pain was if you went to multiple carbs (the old Stromberg 97s), which we all did, you also needed to use an electric fuel pump. The OE pushrod driven pump was mounted on the intake manifold. I also learned that when one water pump went bad, you better replace them both. The old flathead was a serious hunk of iron that was pretty bulletproof, but they were a pain to work on.

I agree but after pulling the heads off of mine a couple of times, I understand why people went with the small block Chevys. Each head had 24 bolts and they usually felt like they were welded in place. The other pain was if you went to multiple carbs (the old Stromberg 97s), which we all did, you also needed to use an electric fuel pump. The OE pushrod driven pump was mounted on the intake manifold. I also learned that when one water pump went bad, you better replace them both. The old flathead was a serious hunk of iron that was pretty bulletproof, but they were a pain to work on.
And weren't the water pumps used as front engine mounts?

That is nuts...two water pumps used as engine mounts. But ol' Henry put a V8 in the hands of the masses, didn't he? For all his failings, he is one of the great ones.
If you haven't yet and ever get a chance to visit the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, it's an experience to remember. Some of the things he collected and the technology that was used in some of his early manufacturing plants is amazing.

A dimmer switch as stated the starter petal was above and sometimes alittle right of the gas petal so when you presses the starter petal with your toe or ball of your foot you could pump the gas petal with your heal.

Now what was the button under the brake petal for?

In my brothers 56 Chevy it was the wnder bar button to change radio stations on the AM Radio.

Back