You know you're getting old when...

My first calculator, in the early '70s, cost $125 and was a basic 4-function LED unit, almost 2 weeks take-home wages back then for a minimum wage job. My mother bought it for me at The Broadway store. It had clicky keys and I was the only one in GenChem 1A that had one. I felt so...obvious...when taking a test.

I still have the slide rule in a leather case! Don't remember how to use it, but it is nearly identical to the one you pictured!

Yeah I got it mixed up. I was singing both in my head at the same time. Funny I have a soft spot for both 409s and flatheads
Yep, in my early hot rod days I had a 58 chevy convertible that I put a built 409 with a 4 speed, sure wish I still had that car now. That beast had a ton of torque.

There was also a "button/pedal" on some of the oldies that squirted washer fluid. On the 60's Caddies there was a channel change button/pedal for the radio by the gas pedal. With your foot on the gas you rocked your foot to the right a little and the radio would change. Ahh the good days
I found my old bamboo slide rule in my dad's basement a while back. Don't have a clue how to use it now LOL

My first calculator, in the early '70s, cost $125 and was a basic 4-function LED unit, almost 2 weeks take-home wages back then for a minimum wage job. My mother bought it for me at The Broadway store. It had clicky keys and I was the only one in GenChem 1A that had one. I felt so...obvious...when taking a test.

I still have the slide rule in a leather case! Don't remember how to use it, but it is nearly identical to the one you pictured!
And some of us using TI or HP calculators who had a pouch for them that attached to your belt. (especially HP)
....which then makes me think of all those years wearing a pocket protector full of pens, automatic pencils, 6 inch scales, etc.
A pocket protector - also called Nerd Pack or Pocket condom?

A carpenters calculator.
100 years ago, that's all you had to layout a house.

Back