You know you're getting old when...

My first calculator, in the early '70s, cost $125 and was a basic 4-function LED unit, almost 2 weeks take-home wages back then for a minimum wage job. My mother bought it for me at The Broadway store. It had clicky keys and I was the only one in GenChem 1A that had one. I felt so...obvious...when taking a test.

I still have the slide rule in a leather case! Don't remember how to use it, but it is nearly identical to the one you pictured!

Yeah I got it mixed up. I was singing both in my head at the same time. Funny I have a soft spot for both 409s and flatheads
Yep, in my early hot rod days I had a 58 chevy convertible that I put a built 409 with a 4 speed, sure wish I still had that car now. That beast had a ton of torque.

There was also a "button/pedal" on some of the oldies that squirted washer fluid. On the 60's Caddies there was a channel change button/pedal for the radio by the gas pedal. With your foot on the gas you rocked your foot to the right a little and the radio would change. Ahh the good days
I found my old bamboo slide rule in my dad's basement a while back. Don't have a clue how to use it now LOL

My first calculator, in the early '70s, cost $125 and was a basic 4-function LED unit, almost 2 weeks take-home wages back then for a minimum wage job. My mother bought it for me at The Broadway store. It had clicky keys and I was the only one in GenChem 1A that had one. I felt so...obvious...when taking a test.

I still have the slide rule in a leather case! Don't remember how to use it, but it is nearly identical to the one you pictured!
And some of us using TI or HP calculators who had a pouch for them that attached to your belt. (especially HP)
....which then makes me think of all those years wearing a pocket protector full of pens, automatic pencils, 6 inch scales, etc.
A pocket protector - also called Nerd Pack or Pocket condom?

A carpenters calculator.
100 years ago, that's all you had to layout a house.

Yeah, mercurochrome never did much more than stain your skin red. but that merthiolate...

The other torture imposed on us as kids...Squibb Cod Liver Oil. Worse than an enema any day! Well, on second thought, maybe not...

1645060808690.png

Back