Whiskey - what's your current favorite?

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
Has anyone else tried this? It might be the best whiskey I've had in a while. Not cheap, but very good, I'll try to enjoy on special occasions only. This one is pretty hard to find in the St. Louis MO region. It's 94 proof so it has a little heat, but has some nice vanilla/cinnamon flavor to it. Reminds me a bit of a Wild Turkey 101 but better. What's your current favorite? Why do you like it?

1624244288040.png

Makers Mark with an ice cube is my go to glass of bourbon. Can't say exactly why I like it other than it's reasonably priced and goes good with a nice cigar. Jim Beam is good also. New to this bourbon drinking thing so still sampling and limit my purchases to <$100/liter. I couldn't partake while I was still working so I am really enjoying retirement. Cheers.

@John K BBQ, hmmm, never heard of it, any good??? :) Mine is the Single Barrel, 114 proof version.....

1624248634729.jpeg

My current favorite is the bottle of Blanton's I had stashed from before prices went nuts. Spicy, caramel, with a touch of sweet and well balanced heat. Also have a bottle of Michter's open, though no real impressions yet, other than it's as solid as Michter's usually is. I love a peaty single malt, so when I want that instead, I usually reach for Laphroaig 14 yr.

R

I’ve been enjoying “Old Forester” 100 proof since this:7269FB38-7B6A-41F0-8822-09EFAA144B65.jpeg
Is no longer available! Full disclosure, that’s whats in this bottle!

I drank Jim Beam for decades. Last year I tried Evan Williams. I like it more so its what I drink now.
Lew, you did it again. Thanks for the reminder. I just remember that Evan Williams was what I drank for a lot of years. No, not that much. lol

Has anyone else tried this? It might be the best whiskey I've had in a while. Not cheap, but very good, I'll try to enjoy on special occasions only. This one is pretty hard to find in the St. Louis MO region. It's 94 proof so it has a little heat, but has some nice vanilla/cinnamon flavor to it. Reminds me a bit of a Wild Turkey 101 but better.

Stranahan's is wildy popular (and widely available) out here in Colorado. But since I'm not a scotch guy, Stranahan's really isn't really in my strike zone. It is sort of in-between scotch and bourbon, right?

For sipping, I usually go with a wheater. I really like Makers 46 with a teaspoon of water or a small piece of ice. Recently had some Angels Envy Rye at a friends house and loved it.

For Manhattans, WT 101 or Rittenhouse Rye BIB.

Back