What's Your Favorite Way to Grill a Whole Chicken?

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Have a whole chicken my wife took out to defrost....what is YOUR favorite way to cook it up on the grill? Doesn't have to be whole...could be in a pan, in sauce...interested in anything...always looking for something new.

I don't grill yardbird, I smoke it. Spatchcock. Cut in half. Put it on the offset at 275* or if I use the WSM, I do high heat, no waterbowl, a chimney and 1/2 of lit coals.

I think dri brining helps , but gotta go easy on the salt.

Fav rubs are Plowboys Yardbird or Kosmos Dirty Bird, either won is a winner. They both have the same ingredients.

They are all good, big fan of spatchcock, rotisserie, oven roasted, pan roasted, fried, you name it! Smoked is always a hit.
Lately, I’m spinning a lot, the Peruvian recipe is a big hit with my family.

I prefer spatchcocked, quartered, halved, but generally broken down. If you want the Normal Rockwell presentation, then a vertical roaster is the way to go. Me, I find that a spatchcocked or quartered bird cooks the most evenly, whether grilled, roasted or smoked. Just my $0.02.

Yea, I guess it depends on if you have a fryer, roaster or stew ( Hen) chicken.
Fryers are great for parting out and roasters you can split spatch or cook whole.
Stew hens are great for soup, but you rarely see them labeled that way any more.

I prefer spatchcocked, quartered, halved, but generally broken down. If you want the Normal Rockwell presentation, then a vertical roaster is the way to go. Me, I find that a spatchcocked or quartered bird cooks the most evenly, whether grilled, roasted or smoked. Just my $0.02.
I'm in this corner.
i eat a lotta chicken. ALOT!
rotisserie is great, but too much dicking around.
beercan is overrated and silly.
spatchcock only takes the backbone out, bust the breast bone and waalaa.
quartered is almost too ez.

gotta allow time for relaxation.
you young guys will soon understand that sh*t.

My last spatchcock was using Jacques Pépin’s “Fast Food My Way” recipe from a few years back. It translates to simple indirect method very easily! If the weather is noncompliant, the oven is almost as good.

I quarter mine - let’s me take off pieces when they’re done and I don’t have to wash too many things. That’s also my go-to Turkey method now for Thanksgiving (along with a dry brine).

Back