What's Your Favorite Way to Grill a Whole Chicken?

I go both sides, too. I don’t want to have to add coals and If you use the same amount of coals on one side there’s a greater chance of burning the bird.
If you’re spinning that shouldn’t make a significant difference, using baskets keeps the fire even but, I don’t think that a larger fire on one side would be any more inclined to burn the product. Just one mans opinion.

I do beer can chicken style.
I'd like to try a spatchcock but... I'm big city & just the thought of chopping the spine out of a bird makes me queasy.
a97c05842c93049129d47370c9f996ab.jpg
(picture applies to both of the above statements)

I do beer can chicken style.
I'd like to try a spatchcock but... I'm big city & just the thought of chopping the spine out of a bird makes me queasy.
View attachment 27236
(picture applies to both of the above statements)
The scissors I use in my house to cut out the spine have the nickname of bonecrushers. My oldest daughter can't even stand to hear them referred to.

Take two Costco dinos. (These were almost ten pounds.) Get all the spices and herbs, take off whatever meat you want for one sandwich. Rest goes into pot with onions, carrots, celery, curry, tumeric, paprika,.....

Add chicken stock or broth. (Yes most people use water, including me.) Boil then lightly simmer for as long as it drives your housemates like catnip. Dinner. Then cool in a water ice sink. Refrigerate. Next day it will have a tiny solid fat cap on top of solid gold. Dance.

Later use the last of it in other soups that need chicken broth. I did a butternut squash soup that was best ever using home made instead of that other stuff

Attachments

• Resized_20210507_123533.jpeg
    Resized_20210507_123533.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 6
If you’re spinning that shouldn’t make a significant difference, using baskets keeps the fire even but, I don’t think that a larger fire on one side would be any more inclined to burn the product. Just one mans opinion.
I do both sides also with a drip pan between them. I always add 8 or so coals to each basket after one hour. Then I don't have to worry about the coals burning out if the chicken ends up taking another 1/2 hour to cook, etc. Has anyone noticed how large some of the whole chickens are now? I was in Wal Mart last weekend and I honestly had trouble finding a whole chicken in the 5 lb range. They were at least 6 lbs and some were pushing 7 o_O

I'm always interested by the coals on one side only approach. I like to rotisserie mine with a basket of coals on either side. For extra flavour I like to add a chunk of cherry wood on the grill grates above the basket. A mild smoke taste but a nice little red tinge to the bird.
I have the SnS with the drip griddle and doing one side works great , i did some leg quarters in my Roti basket that came out great.

I have the same set-up on my Weber Performer Deluxe using the SnS with DripNGriddle; light-up a large Weber chimney of charcoal in which I put the chicken pieces on the indirect-side of the SNS for around 45 minutes(no looking) and finish with the chicken pieces on the direct-side to crisp-up the skin for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Spatchcock on my 22" Kettle indirect. I have 2 ways. One way is to use an entire chimney of charcoal and it takes ~45 mins. This week I used 1/3 less charcoal indirectly and added about 10 pieces the last half hour, total cook time 85 mins. Lid temp stayed at ~300. I didn't place a probe on the grill grate. The 2nd way the bird was basically smoked, not grilled. It was phenomenal.

Have a whole chicken my wife took out to defrost....what is YOUR favorite way to cook it up on the grill? Doesn't have to be whole...could be in a pan, in sauce...interested in anything...always looking for something new.

Not exactly spatchcocked, but I split the breast side and leave the backbone in. Works pretty much the same, but easier to split and you don't need to mess with loose ribs. The meat right next to the spine is good too.

Not exactly spatchcocked, but I split the breast side and leave the backbone in. Works pretty much the same, but easier to split and you don't need to mess with loose ribs. The meat right next to the spine is good too.
Thanks. I’m trying this on my next chicken.

Salt and pepper inside and out. Cooked over indirect charcoal baskets on each side of the kettle with a drip pan between the baskets. I start breast up 30 minutes then flip breast down for 30 minutes. The dome thermometer usually shows 400 degrees. Check final temp before taking off of grill to rest for about 15 minutes. Super juicy and a crowd favorite.

:blackkettle::summite6kamado:

Back