What's Your Favorite Way to Grill a Whole Chicken?

Rotisserie, spatchcocked, or whole I like all three, my big thing is at 350 to 375 with a little pecan wood!
I love this thread, Grant dinner is looking good!!!

Quartered or sparchcocked served with pinto beans, Spanish rice ,salsa flour tortillas, for home El Polio chicken, mix up the sides for different tastes,it is all good.

I use the snake method in my kettle grill and smoke it that way. I mix kosher salt and pepper as a rub. I will usually spin the chicken around 180 degrees about halfway through. I am still learning and haven't tried another method, but we have enjoyed it that way. We usually use it to make buffalo chicken dip. The rotisserie setup looks interesting. I would love to try that out!

I spatchcock the bird, dry brine, then rub herb butter under the skin and all over. I put it on the Smokefire at 400° and it tastes like it came of the roti. Your bird looks great.

Either spatchcocked on the grill (high heat) or on a vertical roaster in the WSM. But I have done four at one time in the WSM, on beer cans.

Spatchcock for me. If I could find a replacement rod for my roti I would do that but Weber wont just sell the spit rod

Spatchcock for me. If I could find a replacement rod for my roti I would do that but Weber wont just sell the spit rod
Check this web-site out:

Rotisserie and vertical roaster/BCC work for me. I prefer the dark meat but well-salt and butter the breast to help keep it moist; it's useful as an ingredient in other recipes.

I haven't done a spatchcocked chicken in ages...I think I need to turn one into Cornell Chicken this summer.

quartered, marinated with cornell chicken marinade, cooked on the kettle with indirect and finished over the coals to crisp up the skin. served with syracuse salted potates for bonus points.20151018_173447_2.jpg

Last edited:
Last nights spinner...
View attachment 26021
Just about perfect, we were so hungry and the breasts were really just about the best I’ve had, the legs were a touch more pink than I’d like. Temps were fine. I turned the rest into stock after shredding the meat.
I'm always interested by the coals on one side only approach. I like to rotisserie mine with a basket of coals on either side. For extra flavour I like to add a chunk of cherry wood on the grill grates above the basket. A mild smoke taste but a nice little red tinge to the bird.

I always go, both sides. Today it will be apple under the coals (a la Harry Soo), I’m not sure what the single side fire advantage might be, I get the “sear” burner in a gasser but, in the kettle, it makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I’m sure someone will shout me down about it but, it jus seems like it would simply add cooking time.

I always go, both sides. Today it will be apple under the coals (a la Harry Soo), I’m not sure what the single side fire advantage might be, I get the “sear” burner in a gasser but, in the kettle, it makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I’m sure someone will shout me down about it but, it jus seems like it would simply add cooking time.
I go both sides, too. I don’t want to have to add coals and If you use the same amount of coals on one side there’s a greater chance of burning the bird.

Back