What's on tap/brew schedule?

That sounds like a website glitch! Back in my brewing days, I purchased from AHB plenty of times, with no issue. MoreBeer was my primary, as they bought my local shop. I usually had at least four of my favorite yeasts in mason jars for a spur of the moment brew day (along with sacks of 6-row, lots of specialty malts, and more gear that my wife knew about!) :)

R
I think Austin Homebrew traded hands. I've used them a lot because shipping to Arkansas is fast and they have great service.

Received a shipment of ingredients last week that came from Illinois! And it didn't ship until I contacted customer service and they told me it had slipped through the cracks.

So guys I've been brewing for over 10 years now and have got my brew day to 3 hours including clean up. I'm a bag brewer and practice no chill and love the beer I brew but recently have realized that when poker night comes around or just some friends stop by 5-gallon kegs don't last at all. I love sharing and seeing the reaction when people try my beer so I know it's good and economically it totally makes sense. I can't afford to pay 13 bucks for a 4-pack of ninja vs unicorn on the regular. How are all you brewing and how quick is your average ale from brew day to glass? I'm into the omega strains for quick turns ( 7 days fermentation then 3 to 4 for dry hopping) and don't worry about temp regulation. I know it's a lot of rambling but just wanted some insight. Thanks, Jim

I'm working out the kinks in the process of my new electric brewery, looks like just about 5 hours from the time that I plug it in to the time that everything is cleaned up and beer is in the fermenter. That's assuming a 60 minute mash and a 60 minute boil. I do have a wort chiller and fairly cold water coming in from the village. The brewery is on 240v and 12 amps (2800 watts?) it doesn't take long to get up to temp.

So guys I've been brewing for over 10 years now and have got my brew day to 3 hours including clean up. I'm a bag brewer and practice no chill and love the beer I brew but recently have realized that when poker night comes around or just some friends stop by 5-gallon kegs don't last at all. I love sharing and seeing the reaction when people try my beer so I know it's good and economically it totally makes sense. I can't afford to pay 13 bucks for a 4-pack of ninja vs unicorn on the regular. How are all you brewing and how quick is your average ale from brew day to glass? I'm into the omega strains for quick turns ( 7 days fermentation then 3 to 4 for dry hopping) and don't worry about temp regulation. I know it's a lot of rambling but just wanted some insight. Thanks, Jim
Sounds like you need a bigger keezer! I've always tried not to rush things as I know I can't control those little....yeast. Average ale time for me is probably 15-21 days. I brew old school, mash in a cooler and fly sparge. Probably five hours start to finish for me. I use mostly cal ale or English for my ales and I watch ferm temps like a hawk. The last time I picked up a BYO or went online for the latest and greatest info was probably ten years ago so I may be in the dark on some new techniques. One time I did a bitter put in a pin with some ekg in about a week. Due to the low carb volume of real ale it seemed to come out fine. These days I'm more laid back, usually 7-10 primary and then rack to the keg and let carb at serving pressure for a week.

I'm also brewing more now than I did before I moved. Back in my NorCal days it kept me lazy. The amount of awesome brew available was nuts. Now I live in south Texas and well, not so much.

Sorry I'm not more help other than to say to increase your production! Maybe try split ten gallon batches and use different yeasts or dry hopping, age on oak etc. You can always put out a tip jar to help offset the cost. Most buds are always willing to kick in. Brew on!

Sounds like you need a bigger keezer! I've always tried not to rush things as I know I can't control those little....yeast. Average ale time for me is probably 15-21 days. I brew old school, mash in a cooler and fly sparge. Probably five hours start to finish for me. I use mostly cal ale or English for my ales and I watch ferm temps like a hawk. The last time I picked up a BYO or went online for the latest and greatest info was probably ten years ago so I may be in the dark on some new techniques. One time I did a bitter put in a pin with some ekg in about a week. Due to the low carb volume of real ale it seemed to come out fine. These days I'm more laid back, usually 7-10 primary and then rack to the keg and let carb at serving pressure for a week.

I'm also brewing more now than I did before I moved. Back in my NorCal days it kept me lazy. The amount of awesome brew available was nuts. Now I live in south Texas and well, not so much.

Sorry I'm not more help other than to say to increase your production! Maybe try split ten gallon batches and use different yeasts or dry hopping, age on oak etc. You can always put out a tip jar to help offset the cost. Most buds are always willing to kick in. Brew on!
Thanks for your input. I'm just looking to see what most other brewers are doing. I started bag brewing and no chill when my kids were young and didn't have the time to dedicate to brewing now I just have so many other things I want to do but still love my homebrew. I don't think I will ever give up brewing its a hobby with rewards :).

I’m no help. I brewed 5 gal batches for years but lately reduced down to 3 gal. It’s usually just me drinking and I have maybe 1 beer per day. When my son comes over we might have 2-3 together. …but 5 gal was lasting a month + and I wasn’t getting to brew as much as I like. So I reduced volume.

I'm brewing small batches.
BIAB and stove top. No temp control, except for a cooler box to level out day/night fluctuations.

I have a 20 liter mash kettle and an inkbird temperature controller. Looking forward to be able to use those again.
But that got to wait till I got an extra set of solar panels as there is no power where I live.
But I have to say that I actually like this stove top/small batch situation. I'm gaining quite a bit of ecperience and get to try a lot of different beers :)

Any of your brew heads anywhere near Redwood City, CA? I've still got some gear I need to send down the road (brew kettle, turkey fryer burner, pump, tri clover fittings, stir plate, etc, etc.) I do not feel like it's feasible to ship any of it, but if there's any local interest, I'd love to see the gear get in the hands of a fellow TVWBB member. In particular, I've got my cooler jockey box ready to go (and taking up an annoying amount of room on my office floor! Built off an Igloo Ice Cube, has a very thick, 8-pass cold plate, and 4 taps/faucets. I've also got two 4-way gas manifolds for easy gas hookup, just need to add some tubing and ice! :)

Anyway, I can drop some of this stuff in Buy/Sell, but if any of you brewers happen to be local and interested, just PM me.

1651241969366.jpeg

@Rich G
I wish!
That actually looks like the cool box I use for my mash (got a duvet inside and I just drop the pot with the wort in it)
You either have a smaller brew pot than I do, or a much larger cooler! :) I used to use one of these coolers for my mash tun, too. Had a pickup tube with braided sleeve over it to filter. Worked great, and I could get about a 20+lb grain bill in there if I adjusted the water down a little. :)

R

Dang Dwain! Your process is very streamlined and precise. I don't even want to show you mine, you'd probably have a siezure. That was always a joke in my old homebrew club. Most all of the guys were some type of scientist or engineer(Davis CA) and they were extremely detailed in everything. I'm more of a rough idea and adjust as I go kind of guy. I remember once at a club brew with ten left in the boil I tossed in an extra ounce of hops that were not on the schedule. The guys lost their friggin minds 🤣.

Getting back to current, my marzen is lagering and I have a very nice jar of lager yeast in my fridge. I can see a death and taxes clone in my future......

I'm a bit like you Gary
Although I work out things pretty well in advance, but then I change during the process. Mainly because I'm correcting things like low/high gravity, boil time, empty gas bottle etc
I'll find the style that fits my beer afterwards :)
(well, sometimes)
Now patiently waiting for my Saison to finish....

Since warmer weather and gardening/yardwork is fast approaching, so time to make a keg of Black Currant flavored cider for the wife. One way to guarantee that she'll drink a lot less beer, leaving more for me :)
A very simple, tried & true recipe:

7 96 oz. jugs of Great Value 100% Apple Juice, 1/2 tsp each DAP and Wyeast Nutrient and a packet of Mangrove Jack's M02 Cider Yeast. Primary until clear and keg with 1 oz. Brewers Best Flavoring/gallon. Carbonate to 2.5 volumes CO2.

I've made this with Mott's and Langer's too and find no difference in the taste, so just go with the best price.

Will also be milling grains for a Blonde Ale I'll be brewing tomorrow.

Very nice Dwain. I'm trying something new to me tomorrow and brewing a FW DBA clone from morebeer. Man I like Texas, but really miss the CA beer. If it's not BMC they don't drink it down here.

Back