What's on tap/brew schedule?

Same here for a Pale Ale tomorrow. 9# Pale, 1# C-15 & 1# White Wheat in a 5.25 gal. batch. Bittered with Bravo, Cascade at 10 and for a 20 minute WP. Next 3 batches the same grain bill but featuring Centennial, Mosaic and Triumph, respectively. Looking at ~5.5% ABV and ~45 IBUs for each.

You ever been to Secret Trails Brewing in Chico? Nice folks and good beer too. I miss Sierra Nevada too, although the food wasn't nearly as good the last time we went. Getting too old to comfortably do the drive anymore so enjoying the growing beer scene in Reno now..
Never been to secret trail. I'm much too far for a day trip now having moved to south Texas. We used to go to the beer pairing dinners a few times a year in the big room, or the hop gardens. Always such a great time.

Speaking of Texas, not easy to get your wort down to pitching temp when the "cold" water out of the tap is 85 degrees 🤣.

Got a Session IPA that I started to crash yesterday afternoon. Went to add dry hops this AM and can't get the hops to drain out of the bottle. Must be a couple of large pellets wedged in the neck of the bottle. Usually tapping on it a few times does the trick but not this time :(
Will be removing the bottle, breaking up the larger pellets and trying to get it reattached without spilling half the hops.

DH Valve.jpg

Update: Managed to unplug the bottleneck and got the hops to drop in. Will definitely be breaking up larger pellets in the future!

Last edited:
Well, NERTZ.

Just got the word that Northern Brewer is closing all of their brick & mortar retail outlets at the end of month. For those of us fortunate enough have had one close by, this stings a bit.

With their online pricing, I doubt they'll have a bunch of customers remaining when they close the brick & mortar shops.
I've been buying at their St. Paul location almost exclusively for the 10+ years I've been brewing. Their Minneapolis location was only open for a couple of years (closed a couple of years back.) If there isn't enough revenue to make the storefront profitable, it's going to close. Now, whether I buy from NB, Austin Homebrew Supply, etc.... it's only as far away as my browser screen and I'll probably be a lot more price sensitive. I also have to wonder if NB will make the choice to close the warehouse in the Twin Cities metro for a lower rent location.

Hrrrm...... odd. Don't see anything on the NB forums about this.

I can stomach their pricing to a point. …but their shipping sux. I use MoreBeer and Great Fermentations mostly.

today I am brewing a Session Strength Dunkel.

IMG_1147.jpeg

Well, I'm using my day off to brew a batch of imperial porter. I've let myself get dangerously low on homebrew. Will have a blind pig clone coming shortly as well.

Attachments

• IMG20231123100408.jpg
    IMG20231123100408.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 2
My blind pig clone is on the docket today. The imperial porter has been in the keg for a week and I snuck a taste last night. Yum

Got a Centennial/Mosaic Pale Ale in the fermenter. Taps are dry once again. Just haven't had the energy to do much of anything lately. Even drinking Miller High Life hasn't got me off my a$$ to brew as much as I want.

Just picked up an Oxebar starter kit with two 8 liter kegs. Maybe small batching will get me back in the groove. If not, will be switching back to extract. Did that for a while a couple of years back. WIlliam's Brewing has some really nice LMEs at a reasonable price.

Back