What's on tap/brew schedule?

Brewed a Kölsch-ish yesterday.
Vigorous fermentation going on. Lovely sound ;)
And now we wait, while drinking my cider and other brews

Mashing a Dark Mild now. By using 1:2 sulfite/chloride ratio, the malted oats, and 158°F mash temp, I am hoping to get more body in this beer.

9440BEC2-B5CD-406A-B870-F948E5225049.jpeg

4DBCCEA3-B014-41AA-9838-9B0250E63023.jpeg

Last edited:
Brewing a hybrid of sorts today. American grain and classic APA hop flavor but with English yeast at Best Bitter session strength. I’m only going to boil 30 min as another arrow in the quiver to lower starting gravity. My 180th all grain beer since AL made HomeBrew legal.

41870F64-EC60-4D3A-AB41-1C8D5A86D4CA.jpeg

Nothing on tap and an apple/rhubarb cider cold crashing right now. Had hernia surgery on the 4th and post-op visit this past Tuesday. Doc told me another week before I can lift more than 20 lbs. so will be kegging middle of next week and brewing my Celebration IPA likeness soon after that.
Meantime, it's Sierra Nevada Hoppy Variety packs and Miller Highlife. Missing homebrew!

My inlaws went back home last week after visiting for a month. Yeah. So one day after cooking for them, they were going back to their RV for the evening. They had a habit of placing things on top of my keezer and father in law bumped a tap handle on his way out when picking up a bag. We waived goodbye and went back inside to three gallons of dark lager on the floor. The dogs were happy though! Anyway, just another adventure in home brewing. On the plus side, my buddy sent me a fresh bottle of pliny the younger I'm going to crack this weekend. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Here’s my Berry Mnt Pub Ale.

American Ordinary Bitter ≈ American Pale Ale-style grain bill, hops and hops schedule coupled with Ordinary Bitter-style strength and an English Ale yeast strain.

IMG_3822.jpeg

When I lived in CA I had a freezer with a controller on it for a ferm chamber. Mostly in the summer time or for lagers. I sold it when we moved to Texas but have brewed a couple successful lagers just using my big pelican and adding frozen water bottles as needed. It's amazing how well it works. Full credit to my wife for the idea. It was so simple I figured no way it could work but it does well enough for me. Just something to think about. I've never tried the kveik yeast, my brewing process seems to be stuck in the 2009 range. I guess I should update a little.

I use a fridge I bought used over 30 yrs ago. It makes a great fermentation chamber.

Have y’all ever tried warm fermenting a lager? I’ve used W34/70 and S189 at 60°F with great results. IMO, the key to Lager is not so much the fermentation temp but the cool temp conditioning time between fermentation completion and serving (aka: ‘lagering’). I use ~40°F in the freezer section of an old Side-by-Side fridge.

I just brewed a Leichtbier with NovaLager at 60°F but I’ve not tasted the results yet. It is still lagering. When my Stout keg kicks it will move into that tap.

@Anne M. let us know how you like the Voss Kviek.

Last edited:
Classic west coast pale brewing tomorrow. Lots of pale malt and cascade. I do miss being able to pop into Chico for lunch and a couple half pints.
Same here for a Pale Ale tomorrow. 9# Pale, 1# C-15 & 1# White Wheat in a 5.25 gal. batch. Bittered with Bravo, Cascade at 10 and for a 20 minute WP. Next 3 batches the same grain bill but featuring Centennial, Mosaic and Triumph, respectively. Looking at ~5.5% ABV and ~45 IBUs for each.

You ever been to Secret Trails Brewing in Chico? Nice folks and good beer too. I miss Sierra Nevada too, although the food wasn't nearly as good the last time we went. Getting too old to comfortably do the drive anymore so enjoying the growing beer scene in Reno now..

Make a test boil last weekend, and started brewing this morning around 9:30 AM. Fouled up my cream ale mash and ended up with a stuck mash (COMPLETELY my idiocy.) Ended up scorching a little malt in the bottom, but it'll turn out all right, mostly likely. Second batch is a sweet stout, and it's in the chilling phase. This brew went far better than the first (figured out what I messed up.) Cream ale should be on tap in 3-4 weeks, and the stout will be on in 4 to 5.

Gotta admit..... I think that I'm gonna get just a tad bit spoiled brewing inside now. It's 10 degrees F outside, and I have the HVAC fan running continuous to try and spread out the humidity. My g/f went off to take a shower (2 floor above,) and came back down to tell me "good gawd, that smells GOOD! I can smell it through the whole house?" I do have some adjustments to make in positioning the equipment, and general setup & cleaning methodologies (too much time wasted going back and forth.)
Been brewing inside for almost 3 years now. Nice not to brave the teens and lower in the Winter and 100+ in the Summer.

Back