What, in your mind, is "barbecued chicken"?

The past few years, my BBQ’ed chicken has become chicken parts (wings, legs, and thighs) with a rub applied then grilled on my Performers with a Vortex. The rub can be “Kick’n Chicken, Louisiana Chicken Fry, or Jerk seasoning or for those that don’t like heat, simple Salt and Pepper”. We typically use a homemade finishing sauce of “Apricot Preserves, Honey, and Chipotle in Adobo”. I use a chunk of Apple or Pecan on the Vortex for smoke.

THAT is my take on BBQ’ed Chicken!

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53

What is BBQ chicken to me? This is what I love about collecting recipes. It is, a very large variety of different flavors, cooked different ways and coming to me from different parts of the world. It never gets boring.;)

I dig using the vortex too.
I normally use a slightly modified Italian dressing for color and flavor
Keep the vents all open.
Rarely use a produced bbq sauce.
Just put the bird in, check in 30 minutes and maybe a bast n flip.

Dang it Chuck you just cost me $13 and change lol , I ordered some of that sauce , cant wait. chicken is so versatile so many ways to cook and the different dishes are too many to list. a rotisserie is on my short list and probably order 1 after my vacation in may. Almost ordered Thursday morning but was able to resist lol

I usually cook chicken breasts. I'll put the breasts on an elevated grate in my kettle the opposite side of coals. I'll smoke it until it reaches about 155-160F with a piece of peach wood. Bottom vent about half open with the chicken directly under the top vent. Once it's almost done I'll sear both sides for a bit to reach 165-170F. You could add sauce at this stage if you wish.

The peach wood turns the breasts a nice orange color and it's more mild than apple.

For me, BBQ'd Chicken follows what the Kansas City Barbeque Society considers to be BBQ'd Chicken.

Last edited:
So we just did a chicken BBQ the other night.
Very interesting results….
Grabbed 3 small packs of improperly labeled chicken thighs.
One was boneless skinless.
One was skin and bones
One was skin and boneless.

All were cooked the same way.
2 hour marinade in yoshidas.
Placed in a circle around my vortex on high with no wood for the smoke.
Mopped every 5 or so minutes with a home made blend seracha,tapatio,worchestishire,soy sweet baby rays, apple cider and some other spices.

The cook only took 30 minutes.
The bone in took the longest.
The skin as usual shrunk up.

The over all best was the skinless boneles.
I never cook that so I was surprise.

Chopped it up and stuck my portion on a bagget.
Nice eats.

Those look awesome! How hot did you run and for about how long?

Hi...didn't bother with an ambient probe since I knew I was just going for HOT. Dome was reading about 350ish but who knows. Vents wide open...probably an hour in total, then another 15 min after glazing.

For me, BBQ'd Chicken follows what the Kansas City Barbeque Society considers to be BBQ'd Chicken.

Fully agree. And also, in case the world has completely ignored Chris Allingham's recipe cache, I fully embrace these two:

Back