What, in your mind, is "barbecued chicken"?

hahahahaha. that brings up a really good point. how many of your friends will you go to their home and eat their cooking? for me is basically zero. and we're down to only a few restaurants that we really seek to go out to eat.
Eat their BBQ, or eat their cooking in general? Big difference, because I don't know very many people who can make edible BBQ, but I know a few who cook decently.

Back when I was a kid, the potluck was the normal way to get together. Everyone would bring something they actually made, because back then you couldn't pop into a Costco to pick up a cheese plate and (terrible) rotisserie chicken. I enjoyed eating dishes my Mom didn't make, because they were different and almost always good.

And I generally dislike restaurants, so I'd rather take my chances on home cooking.

Last edited:
for me growing up BBQ chicken was bone-in, skin on, thighs cooked on a gas grill with lava rocks. more often than not burnt a bit with sauce like Kraft or whatever slathered on.
Kraft BBQ sauce — that's what I remember everyone dousing their chicken with in the '60s and '70s!

Your growing up with a gas BBQ means you missed the added aroma of charcoal lighter fluid...nothing like a little diesel smoke on your burnt drumsticks!

DH "BARBECUED" last night's dinner. It was Steven Raichlen's "Huli Huli Chicken From Paradise". Raichlen says "Huli huli chicken may be Hawaii's most significant contribution to American BARBECUE. A world without this mahogany-colored bird-lacquered with a sweet-salty glaze of soy sauce, ketchup and honey or brown sugar-would be a sad place to contemplate."

Source: BBQ USA - Steven Raichlen- pub. 2003- pg. 387

It appears to me that barbecue is headed in a direction back to Steven Raichlen style.

When the popularity of comp barbecue took off, due to BBQ Pitmasters and other similar shows, the style of barbecue went " saucy and sweet " .

Then Aaron Franklin brought seasoning back to simplicity with salt/pepper on a post oak stick burner.

And now its headed into a direction of people doing all kinds of things with barbecue, including fusion of Asian/barbecue and Tex/Mex with barbecue ........... and that goes right back to what Raichlen was doing with some of his early PBS TV shows, like Primal Grill.

Kraft BBQ sauce — that's what I remember everyone dousing their chicken with in the '60s and '70s!

Your growing up with a gas BBQ means you missed the added aroma of charcoal lighter fluid...nothing like a little diesel smoke on your burnt drumsticks!
We had charcoal before we moved to Cali and got a gas grill. Back east we cooked
hot dogs and burgers over charcoal. My dad had a chimney made from a coffee can so I was lucky to have missed lighter fluid until my 20s.🤮

Dan, you beat me to it. I was just about to post that back in my younger days, the only thing I can remember my father cooking outside was hot dogs and burgers. My mother would take care of the chicken inside.

Eat their BBQ, or eat their cooking in general?
both. i have two friends that are both good cooks and good on a grill/cue. beyond that, we pretty much host the dinners at our house for friends to come over and enjoy. it just works better that way, for all.

Last edited:
DH "BARBECUED" last night's dinner. It was Steven Raichlen's "Huli Huli Chicken From Paradise". Raichlen says "Huli huli chicken may be Hawaii's most significant contribution to American BARBECUE. A world without this mahogany-colored bird-lacquered with a sweet-salty glaze of soy sauce, ketchup and honey or brown sugar-would be a sad place to contemplate."

Source: BBQ USA - Steven Raichlen- pub. 2003- pg. 387

I haven't tried Raichlen's recipe. But we've been doing marinated Huli-Huli chicken for decades, using store bought marinade. It's as thin as water and doesn't have all that thick sweet buildup like a lot of teriyaki sauces. Just another note about this sauce, it is made for Pacific Poultry, which is the company of the originators of Huli Huli chicken. Is it the original recipe? Nobody seems to know. But it's popular with people from the islands.

1640657526540.png

Last edited:
Eat their BBQ, or eat their cooking in general? Big difference, because I don't know very many people who can make edible BBQ, but I know a few who cook decently.

Back when I was a kid, the potluck was the normal way to get together. Everyone would bring something they actually made, because back then you couldn't pop into a Costco to pick up a cheese plate and (terrible) rotisserie chicken. I enjoyed eating dishes my Mom didn't make, because they were different and almost always good.

And I generally dislike restaurants, so I'd rather take my chances on home cooking.

Our family gatherings are always "potluck" in that everyone brings something, but there is coordination on what dish they plan to bring. We all have things we like to fix and have become family favorites. Every once in a while, someone's experiment goes south. But most is good to excellent. Of course, I do BBQ. Rarely does anyone buy something, but it does happen more frequently these past few years. My wife's brother, still single at 60, is a bit of a bumbler in the kitchen, but he tries and sometimes his stuff is even edible. I wish he'd buy stuff from Costco. LOL.

I'm the opposite of you on restaurants vs people's cooking, especially in their home. I'm all for a multi-family potluck buffet outdoors where you can pick and choose, but to "go to dinner" at someone's home and be served...well you have to eat everything and 'like it' (or shutup and smile). So, for that reason, I prefer going to restaurants for sit-down social dining.

Chuck, IF you are ever curious to try Raichlen's recipe for the sauce, here it is.

Huli Huli Sauce

1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup sherry
1 TB. rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 slices (each 1/4" thick) peeled fresh ginger, gently crushed
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 scallion, trimmed, white part gently crushed and green part finely chopped

Place all except scallion greens in a nonreactive saucepan and whisk to mix. Add 2 TB. of water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then let simmer gently until thick and syrupy, about 5 min., whisking to prevent scorching. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water.

A blast from the past...

View attachment 42498
This is the sauce we seemed to have a my parent's house all the time, in the 60s thru the 80s. Apparently, the founder sold off the sauce in the early 60s.
They still have 3 restaurants around L.A., Downey, Belflower, and Whittier. I've eaten in the Belflower restaurant a few times, years ago. It's what you'd think an old bbq joint might be. Nothing great, but you honor the history.

chris n pitts.jpg

Chuck, IF you are ever curious to try Raichlen's recipe for the sauce, here it is.

Huli Huli Sauce

1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup sherry
1 TB. rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 slices (each 1/4" thick) peeled fresh ginger, gently crushed
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 scallion, trimmed, white part gently crushed and green part finely chopped

Place all except scallion greens in a nonreactive saucepan and whisk to mix. Add 2 TB. of water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then let simmer gently until thick and syrupy, about 5 min., whisking to prevent scorching. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water.
Thanks Joan. We gravitate toward a thin marinade for either Huli Huli or Teri. For both, we usually overnight marinate. But I may give this recipe a shot. Do you marinate with this recipe?

After a little reading about the originators of Huli Huli, I get the impression they were basically using a teriyaki style recipe, but added something that gave it an island inspired unique flavor. Classic teriyaki sauces have; soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar, and rice wine vinegar (Mirin). I'm thinking they added pineapple or maybe the raw sugar molasses. Their bottled Huli Huli doesn't indicate anything other than soy, sugar, ginger. So, the mystery lives on. But, for my nickel, I'd highly recommend using Mirin in your teri or huli recipes, instead of "white wine" or white vinegar.

My wife just informed me that she scratch makes Huli Huli sauce sometimes (I never knew). She has a recipe somewhere. I'll post it if she finds it. Being of third gen Japanese from the islands, she has a lot of oriental cookbooks, some from local churches.

Last edited:
Chuck, in this one, there is no marinating. I forgot to mention, DH subs. pineapple juice for the sherry. In Raichlens other Huli Huli recipe for "Pineapple Huli Huli Chicken" he calls for marinating the chicken 4 hours or overnight. In his 3rd Huli Huli recipe "Spit-Roasted Honey Lime Huli Huli Chicken, there is just the glaze, no marinating.

I checked out the bottled sauce you use. Sorry to say, it has too much sodium in it for me (22% RDA), but thanks anyway.

Chuck, in this one, there is no marinating. I forgot to mention, DH subs. pineapple juice for the sherry. In Raichlens other Huli Huli recipe for "Pineapple Huli Huli Chicken" he calls for marinating the chicken 4 hours or overnight. In his 3rd Huli Huli recipe "Spit-Roasted Honey Lime Huli Huli Chicken, there is just the glaze, no marinating.

I checked out the bottled sauce you use. Sorry to say, it has too much sodium in it for me (22% RDA), but thanks anyway.

Thanks again Joan. As for the sodium, if my wife finds her recipe, I'll post it. She always uses low sodium shoyu. But yeah, that bottled stuff is salty.
My wife preps teri beef skewers by marinating in a scratch made thin teri sauce. We don't glaze it, but it finishes with a lightly carmelized sauce as it cooks. Not the thick sauce like some restaurants serve.

On the otherhand, just a couple days ago, we traveled about 10 miles to our old neighborhood back 25 years ago in Gardena Ca, where the Pitburger (fastfood joint) is. We had their famous Teriburger, a thinly sliced, teri marinated, grilled beef, with liberal amounts of the teri glaze sauce, lettuce and tomato. There's something about this messy sandwich that is incredible. Their teri chicken is also a special treat. So, we do have some glazed teri stuff, but it's rare. This discussion makes me want to head back over there for lunch....

I like it 2 ways...both are pretty much the same method. Indirect on the kettle with the SnS, then over the coals for a few seconds at the end. I enjoy some of Malcom's vinegar sauce on one, then just some jerk seasoning on the other.

CH1.jpgCH2.jpg

Back