What Disappointing Steaks

My wife orders meat off of TV all the time for some stupid reason. I've got $300 of 5 oz filet mignons in the freezer. They're not bad.... But she thinks oh they'll be there when ahe want to cook a quick little steak.... And then after a year they get thrown away.
Same here!

My work gifts Omaha every year starting before thanksgiving. I do like their kielbasa they had a couple years ago. But the stuff we get is real small cuts that a grown man with half an appetite needs two of to have a meal haha. But I don’t get steak, generally it’s a mix and this year was chicken pork chops links, something else and apple tarts.

I tend to feed the meat to the kids and just want the styrofoam box. I rest smoked meats in there and they are great for that.

Shoot, my g/f & I get good chill containers with freeze packs just with meds shipments. I do have to give the mail order pharmacy credit, the freeze packs they've been sending for a couple of years are basically nitrogen fertilizer, just dump them out in the flower beds and recycle the plastic envelopes.

As a rule...... I won't order anything for delivery that's required to be temperature controlled, as I don't trust any of the delivery services to have the climate controls that I consider necessary. Yes, I know.... my g/f & I both have meds that get filled mail order, and that's been..... okay. Those do arrive chilled.
My experience is they come packed in the styrofoam with dry ice. I have had an item show up before that the dry ice was gone and it was obviously not still frozen and the vendor replaces it with one call. It's really not a problem. They know how long it's going to last..... And yeah, the shipping companies hit snags and when it gets delayed slightly the dry ice runs out. But you're not on the hook for it in that case as far as I know, at least we haven't been. It helps to be there when it's delivered and not have it sitting on doorstep in the sun for 8 hours and then you get home and say oh it's melted.

In the past, we've ordered from Brandt Beef / One World Beef with excellent results. Everything was safely packaged frozen with ice paks. On the flip side, shipping was very local... Many of the competitors in this area order from SRF with no problems.

Wow this is a tough crowd. My oldest son bought us one of the package deals for Christmas. Couple filets, they were ok hot dogs,they were good apple tarts, they were good, hamburgers maybe some other things, nothing to say wow let`s order some more. Strange thing with the hamburgers. I always use the slow n sear and line the other half with foil to keep things clean. Use of sns is great for indirect cooking. Cooked hamburger to 160, they were good. Next day went to clean the grill up and the grease in the foil had hardend. Looked like a thin sheet of cardboard. You could snap it apart. Never seen that before. I`ll stick with my butcher.

I'm also not a huge fan.

Tongue in cheek, but the real irony here is that Omaha is notoriously associated with incredible beef. Historically critical to the development of US beef.

I'm also not a huge fan.

Tongue in cheek, but the real irony here is that Omaha is notoriously associated with incredible beef. Historically critical to the development of US beef.
As was Chicago, slaughterhouses right next to stockyards, next to packing houses. Then heading back out in the “modern“ refrigerator cars or as “hanging beef” with block ice!
I’m not sure that any “City“ affiliation is worth the effort to type it. That’s just cynical me.

As was Chicago, slaughterhouses right next to stockyards, next to packing houses. Then heading back out in the “modern“ refrigerator cars or as “hanging beef” with block ice!
I’m not sure that any “City“ affiliation is worth the effort to type it. That’s just cynical me.
Old enough to remember driving past stock yards with my dad and my grandpa. PEEEEEEE UUUUUUUUU

I received a gift box of Omaha steaks once. I was a bit disappointed with the size of the steaks I received. Slider steaks?
17620462_10211302532913194_4691876135019922820_o.jpg

Always get their flyer right before the holidays. The better half always asks me if we should order/try then out; but we never have.
Now I'm glad we didn't...

I've ordered some stuff from Wild Fork that was pretty good. Not mind blowing by any stretch but good. They do some blade tenderizing on some cuts so check the descriptions carefully. It seems to be on some lesser cuts, not things like ribeyes and filets. They seem to be the most reasonable as far as prices for shipped meat.

Yeah I live here in Omaha and worked for Omaha steaks a couple holiday seasons in the past. Id never order from them prices are ridiculous,our Walmarts here have way better meat than them! Save your money! That said when working for them, they had excellent prices for employees,I'd get a box of 6 KC strip steaks for $20.

Back